Advice Needed: Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic VS Claude Bernard 80091/2

Thread: Advice Needed: Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic VS Claude Bernard 80091/2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice Needed: Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic VS Claude Bernard 80091/2

Hi all,

I have finally (after much time of scouting) reduced my shortlist to the following watches and would appreciate any opinions or advice from all of you. Please feel free to propose a different watch that you may think is better

Before that, is anyone familiar with Claude Bernard brand? I believe they are fairly new (1973) and am not too sure with it's reliability. Please let me know your thoughts on this brand.

All models are about the same price 600USD, sapphire crystal and automatic.

Thank you for your opinions :)

EDIT: I plan to use the watch as an everyday watch (work and casual) but am not too sure which colour dial would suit it best. Would appreciate your advice and thoughts on it.

Also, the watch dealer also told me that CB's movement is more refined (well made) as compared to tissot (which has the same movement as Hamilton). Is this true?

Name:  80091_3_nin.png
Views: 2252
Size:  90.4 KB Claude Bernard 80091 Black Dial
    Name:  80092_3_ain.png
Views: 2226
Size:  125.2 KBClaude Bernard 80092 White Dial

Name:  4588409314_a2d379deaf_z.jpg
Views: 8748
Size:  163.5 KB Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic Black Dial

Name:  hamilton06.jpg
Views: 5490
Size:  111.3 KB Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic White Dial
    Last edited by noobwatcher; November 3rd, 2013 at 07:44.

Re: Advice Needed: Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic VS Claude Bernard 80091/2

Hello there.
    Out of your two options I would definitely pick the Hamilton. Also, I'm no movement expert, but I'd be pretty certain that they would both be using an ETA 2824 movement with minimal finishing, so unless I'm wrong I dunno what your jeweller is on about. And i've never even heard of Claude bernard before mind you. On the dial colour, for an everyday casual watch I personally would choose a black dial which i consider less dressy.
    You may want to consider another option; an Oris Classic.
    Available in every size, dial colour and strap combination possible. With some shrewd bartering, you should be able to get one for under $800 bux. I personally think it's a step up in finishing quality over what you are considering. It uses a Stilleta base movement that is pretty similar to your other choices.
    Link: 01 733 7578 4034-07 5 18 11 - Oris Classic Date - Oris Classic - Culture - Collection - Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.
    and what's a post without a pic?
    Name:  orisclassic.png
Views: 2275
Size:  232.7 KB
    cheers.

Hi Domo,

Neither have I heard of Claude Bernard until today (not that I'm any good with watch brands). Though the designs look good, I am also worried about the support/maintenance of the watch (Due to it not being a popular brand, I'm not sure if it would be more difficult to maintain it)

Thanks for your suggestion on the Oris Classic. It really looks good. I think I'll check the price out when I visit my jeweler the next time :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hamilton Jazzmaster all the way. Great watches for the money.

Sent from my GT-I8160

Thank you :)

random question! if black dial is less dressier, wont it be funny if it goes with formal wear? (shirt and black pants)

Black dial or white dial, there isn't really much difference in terms of dressyness. Both look smart, and to be honest most people wont notice your watch apart from a tiny flash of it under your sleeve.

Sent from my GT-I8160

I've "heard' of Claude......I think I'd stay with a more mainstream brand, like Hamilton.....IMHO
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Hamilton all the way. They are a great, respected, bang-for-the-buck brand using well regarded, ubiquitous, easily serviced movements. Beyond that, should you later decided to sell the watch as part of moving on to something else it will be MUCH easier to sell a brand that people have heard of and look for then one that no one has ever head of and won't be searching.

As I just stated in another Hamilton post. I'd go for it. Some don't care but I like a story behind a watch brand. Hamilton has the history which for me makes it the complete package.
    -JP

I'd never heard of CB either but regardless of that I would still go for the Hammy as it is a better looking watch. Re the dial colour - I think Shaggy Dog was spot on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information