Advice needed on Swiss Army Airboss Mach 6

Thread: Advice needed on Swiss Army Airboss Mach 6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice needed on Swiss Army Airboss Mach 6

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out on a questions I have. It's time for the annual bonus at work at I've been looking around at some watches. I'm pretty much decided on the Swiss Army Airboss Mach 6, most likely in either white or black. (The blue is nice, but my Omega is blue and I'm not totally convinced of the red with black sub dials...). I've also found some retailers over in the US who have reasonable prices and will ship to the UK. All good so far

The first question is what is the lume like? My Omega is great, whereas I would rate my Oris' lume as poor (compared to the Omega). Could anyone place the Airboss in relation to these brands?

Also, it the white really white? My Oris Regulator is meant to be white, but has a fantastic off-whiteness to it. The pictures of the Airboss don't seem to be perfect white either, but I just wanted to see if someone could confirm this.

Finally, and the hardest question, is Swiss Army considered to be alongside the likes of Oris? Lots of people have Oris, but comparitively few the Swiss Army. I haven't seen much about them in the forums and only came across them by chance. The retail is around the $1400 mark and I can see them online for around the $900 mark. Would you consider this about right for the quality of materials/movement etc??

Sorry for so many questions but hope some kind soul can help

Dave
    My little ones:

Omega Seamaster 2531.80.00
    Seiko Spirit SCVS005
    Oris XXL Regulator (on bracelet)
    Oris Artelier Skeleton (on Sharkskin strap)
    Seiko Orange Monster (currently unmodded)
    Seiko Black Monster (IWW modded and VERY nice)
    Swiss Army Mach 6 V241188

Grail:

Oris TT3 Chrono

Re: Advice needed on Swiss Army Airboss Mach 6

Hi guys,

Can anyone with experience of the Airboss help??

Dave
    My little ones:

Seiko Spirit SCVS005

Grail:

Oris TT3 Chrono

Well, I have the chronopro, and for the price point, the quality is firstrate.
    As far as lume, its OK, depends on charging of the watch prior to it.
    Put it this way, late at nite, I can wake up and still see what time it is.

Alex

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have an old swiss army officers, from around 1997, and the quality is great. It is a quartz, however. The lume is so-so, maybe even crappy :) However, back then, there was a lot smaller of a selection, and far fewer autos. It has only been in the last few years that swiss army has started producing more expensive (meaning over 1K) autos on a larger scale, I believe (I haven't followed them closely, so my estimate might be a bit off). I don't know how the lumes are on current models.

I think they have made a great jump in quality and selection. I think it is reasonable to compare a $1400 swiss army auto to a $1400 oris auto, with one exception. I don't think swiss army has built up the popularity and track record in this price range that oris has. However, they have models that look considerably different then anything oris offers, so if there is one (like the air boss) that you like, I would not hesitate to purchase it, based on the general track record of swiss army quality, throughout there product line for many, many years.

So my opinion is that they are as good as similarly priced ETA-based autos by oris and other manufacturers, but have not caught on to the same degree, yet.
    Regards.

Current Rotation: breitling cockpit -oris TT1 date black -seiko skx781 "orange monster" -seiko snm035 "landmonster" -citizen Promaster Titanium Eco-Drive 300m BJ8041-09E "ecozilla" -citizen ecodrive professional titanium BN0016-55L, blue dial "orca" -getat 44mm sterile rose gold luminor-style manual wind -getat 44mm sterile PVD orange "numbrels" manual wind --invictas: 8926c,8928ob,3712, 6410, 6024, 6924, 6926, 6927

Alex,

Thanks for the comments on lume and your example is spot on. I wear a watch in bed so I can see what time it is if I walk up without having to fumble around finding my glasses. So if you can see it, that's good enough for me.

Seth, yes they don't seem to have a big user base, but those that have them seem happy. The Mach 6 styling certainly caught my eye.

I've actually bitten the bullet and ordered one from a popular grey market dealer in the US beginning with J. I went for the black as the white may be too similar to one of my Oris. It was in stock, so should be here next week. Even with a $78 shipping charge and UK VAT it'll come in at over £400 less than a UK bought one!

If I figure out how to post pictures, I'll take some when it arrives - don't think I'm qualified to write a review....

Dave
    My little ones:

Seiko Spirit SCVS005

Grail:

Oris TT3 Chrono

Hi, dhoggan, sorry for the late answer.

I have the airboss mach 6 in black for about 3 months, and i can tell you that is a ``must have´´ timepiece, it is powered by an ETA Valjoux 7753 27 jewels 42 hour power reserve movement( amazing movement, one of the best of eta) , 45mm ``pilots´´ case, 16mm aprox of gross, built in 316L steel, genuine swiss made or italian made leather band with ``316L steel butterfly deployement clasp´´, sapphire crystal, clear caseback with mineral crystal, certified swiss air force official timepiece, hmmm what more, hmmm, well, the retail is $1650 , but you can find it online for $ 800-1000 new. I have plenty of photos if you or someone else like to see.

thanks!

Rodrigo.

Hello,
    I am French, and I am very interested in the model Airboss 6 of Victorinox.
    I saw on ebay the same watch in 599 USD, but I have doubts on the authenticity.
    The salesman comes from the USA.
    Could you, please, send me photos of yours under all the angles to compare them with the photos which are proposed to me on ebay?
    And if possible also a photo of the watch on your wrist?
    I have a 18 centimeter wrist, I shall like seeing what she looks like.
    Thank you in advance.
    Kind regards, Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by Krytchek View Post
    Hello,
    I am French, and I am very interested in the model Airboss 6 of Victorinox.
    I saw on ebay the same watch in 599 USD, but I have doubts on the authenticity.
    The salesman comes from the USA.
    Could you, please, send me photos of yours under all the angles to compare them with the photos which are proposed to me on ebay?
    And if possible also a photo of the watch on your wrist?
    I have a 18 centimeter wrist, I shall like seeing what she looks like.
    Thank you in advance.
    Kind regards, Laurent
    (Disclaimer: I've only been monitoring watch pricing online for 4-5 months now.)

Krytchek - are you concerned about authenticity due to the low price point?

If so, based on my (limited) experience surfing on ebay and other watch e-tailers, IMHO I don't think that the price point is a cause for alarm. I've seen Swiss Army watches being sold for more than 50% off the MSRP on several reputable sites.

If any one has information contrary to the above, please provide. Thanks.
    Last edited by ecunited; December 22nd, 2009 at 17:38.
    BALL Trainmaster Cleveland Express
    ANONIMO Cronoscopio
    LACO Pilot B Miyota
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3510.21
    SEA-GULL 1963 Re-issue
    BREITLING Navitimer A13322
    FORTIS B42 Flieger Day/Date
    ANONIMO D-Date
    LOCMAN 1970
    BALL Engineer II Moon Glow

ANONIMO DINO ZEI Narvalo
    VOSTOK Amphibian
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3506.61.00
    BREITLING Sprint
    BENARUS Moray 4 - Model B

If the online ebay sellers are "Smittyjr" or "Skodaboy" then you are fine. I've bought lots of the higher end Victorinox watches from them at major discounts and they have all been perfect.

They are not brand new, and I'm not sure where they are getting them from.....but they are legit.

Thanks you Mr. Pacman and ecunited
    But I don't understand why the great majority of the watches which they sell are without limp and without paper.
    Last edited by Krytchek; December 22nd, 2009 at 21:48.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information