Advice needed on a Thrasher

Thread: Advice needed on a Thrasher

Advice needed on a Thrasher

Hi all, first and foremost I would like to thank you all for maintaining a brilliant forum, I have been surfing in and out of here for a couple of years now and picked up some great info from other peoples posts. But now its time to ask something one on, well... many.

So here is the problem. I need a watch to replace my thrasher, currently I have a Protec Ti, and it has served my well, but its starting to look very beaten up! (still works great though)

I need a watch that I can take surfing, camping and general misbehaving. I have found that I dont have a great deal of use for the compass etc that I have on the casio, but I really do like being able to see the watch without the need to charge a lume (so tubes or backlight for me)

I very much like having hands on the face of the watch as opposed to a digital display as well, although I tend to look away from chrono's simply because I like to watch my second hand tick round.

So, background done - I would like some opinions form you all if that is ok. First is obviously quartz or auto? how much of a thrashing is acceptable for an auto? second has to be the sapphire issue? Is it worth stretching the extra cash on a watch that I really dont want to have to be overly worried about?

The timepieces I have looked at are all under the 500dollar mark (I am in europe) so the most obvious ones for me have been the Thompson Khaki's, the Luminox 8800's and the outsider Tawatec. I would love to know what you guys think, remembering that it would be nice to have a bit of style and around the 44mm mark : )

Thanks, tony

Re: Advice needed on a Thrasher

These are nice, cheap and accurate. They are rugged and the lume is long lasting. Good luck!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

oops, I am sure you all know I meant the Hamilton Khaki : )

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

HI Doug : )

thanks for the tip, but I was kind of hoping to find something that I didnt have to charge the Lume on, the only real reason I would consider the Hammy is because its just so nice for the money : )

Keep the suggestions coming though! : )

You might take a look at Bertucci Watches (Bertucci Performance Field Watches). They make some very tough titanium-cased quartz watches with a classic field watch look. One of their models has an electro-luminescent backlight on the dial. I just bought one of their watches (the A-3T) and I'm impressed with its quality and durability. I guess it's my "thrasher" at this point. All their watches feature fixed lugs (no springbars) for extra durability.

Solar atomic G-shock, either an ani-digi or pure digital. The more advanced models have an auto-illum feature that will automatically turn the lume ON when you tip the watch up at a 45 degree viewing angle. But its also intelligent enough to NOT activate the lume automatically in bright light. The solar cell will re-charge the battery when exposed to light. I keep mine near a shaded window sill to recharge and atomically re-calibrate.

I don't think a mechanical movement fits your intended use. Vibration can damage the movements.

oops double post.
    Last edited by kramer5150; March 8th, 2011 at 15:46.

Luminox Colormark. Tritium, quartz (quartz will always be able to withstand more shock than an automatic), 44mm, and depending on the colors, available for around $200 in the States. Traser is another good choice; I think they're made by the same company. Trasers might be easier to find in Europe. Barring that, your standard answer is going to be G-Shock. I'd go ana-digi, but be advised, even with the backlight, they're not easy to see at night. My AWG100-1A needs two hits of the light for me to be able to read it. It was $80, and I have absolutely no problem wearing it while doing any activity that may get it damaged.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Thread Information