Advice for a New Watch Collector.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mpalmer

Thread: Advice for a New Watch Collector.

Advice for a New Watch Collector.

Hey all,

I am very new to watch collecting and would really appreciate your guys help!

Ever since I was a little kid I collected watches (mostly cheap rubber and plastic / Fossil watches).

However, I am now 23 and working full time and want to "step up my game".

Currently, I have:

+ Bulova 98E102 Marine Star Diamond Case Bracelet Mother of Pearl Dial Watch Two Tone Stainless Steel (Black / Rose Gold, Pearl Face)
    + Seiko SWW210 Two Tone Stainless Steel (Silver / Gold, Black Face) [an older watch]
    +
    Nixon 51-30 Tide Stainless Steel (All Gold)

I am very happy with these watches as they are within a comfortable price range for me (I would never spend over $700 for a watch). (I was able to get the Bulova and Nixon which retail for over $500 on Amazon for around $300 each).

Anyway, my question is what are the best sub $1000 watches, and what watches should i definitely stay away from?
    I've seen alot of Invictas out there and they look nice but have read some pretty bad stuff about them and everyone has told me to stay away from Invicta.

Also, what are your favorite sub $1000 watches and where do you find the best deals?

Thanks guys!

Re: Advice for a New Watch Collector.

Welcome!!! For sub $1000, I like Hamilton or vintage Omega. For new pieces look to grey market sites, like jomashop, authenticwatches, watchmaxx, alanfurman, etc.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

Quote Originally Posted by brianxmori View Post
    I am very happy with these watches as they are within a comfortable price range for me (I would never spend over $700 for a watch).
    You're on the record! Remember you wrote these words 6 months to a year from now! Let's just say, I have my doubts...

Stowa is probably the best value under $1000 out there. Hamilton is a great place to look as well.
    eliz likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think there are a lot of choices for under 1000$ depending on your taste. I like divers and tend to go that direction like Benarus Megalodon, Balihai GMT, Helson Shark Diver, but having said that since stumbling onto watch forums like this one and looking around a bit it really opens your eyes to what you can find.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

-WC

Thread Information