Advice for a newbie

Thread: Advice for a newbie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice for a newbie

I've always loved watches but never really treated myself to them. Recently I've fancied getting a TW Steel Canteen, maybe as a Xmas present.

As with most things in life, I find myself a forum and delve deeper into obsession lol.

I just wondered what you guys think of TW Steel and perhaps if you could offer some alternatives I could look at?

Price range up to £300, I really want a black leather strap.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Re: Advice for a newbie

I don't know much about TW steel so I cannot comment on the brand
    However,since you ask for alternatives,check the japanese brand (casio,seiko,citizen) and maybe tissot

TW Steel is decent but not great brand by horological standards. The case is solid enough but the watches are mostly movements stuffed into larger casings. For fashion they are an OK choice but with the money you are planning to spend (about 480 by US dollars) you have much much more options. Off the top of my head, Orient, Seiko, Citizen, Chr. Ward, Tissot, and Victorinox Swiss Army have watches that are solid within your price range.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

TW Steel probably doesn't get much love on these forums. Many people here will tell you that they are just a 'fashion' watch brand, and that their XXL size watches are a bit OTT or cheesy. You'll get pointed towards other brands (Tissot, hamilton, Citizen and Seiko make some fantastic watches in the same price range), but if you really want a TW Steel watch then go for it. It's not like it's going be a terrible watch that will break easily or anything). Just bear in mind that with some of these 'fashion' watches that your tastes will change in time, especially if you hang around this site, and you could 'grow out' of that style of large watch quite quickly. That is why people might point you towards a Seiko diver or a Tissot PRS200 Chronograph, as they are more classic designs that stand the test of time as opposed to a funky TW Steel.

These Tissots are within your budget -
    Name:  Tissot1.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  23.6 KB
    Name:  Tissot2.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  22.3 KB

And don't worry so much about getting a leather strap. You can generally buy whatever watch you want on a bracelet and then add a nice leather strap of your choice afterwards for $30 or less.
    Last edited by ShaggyDog; October 12th, 2012 at 13:36.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Are there any manufacturers that have a similar style to TW Steel? I do like the XXL look.

Quote Originally Posted by thehogester View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Are there any manufacturers that have a similar style to TW Steel? I do like the XXL look.
    If you like larger watches, with a similar style, then Invicta is right up your alley. Just don't drink the kool-aid, buy at DoD sites (they're a discount brand and regularly discount, significantly, off the already "discounted" retail, (from the ridiculous MSRP) ). FWIW, most WISs don't like the company or watches, so they get little love here. Anyhow, if that's your thing, then, go for it.

It's most important to like what you own, and buy what you like, as an educated consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by bluloo View Post
    If you like larger watches, with a similar style, then Invicta is right up your alley. Just don't drink the kool-aid, buy at DoD sites (they're a discount brand and regularly discount, significantly, off the already "discounted" retail, (from the ridiculous MSRP) ). FWIW, most WISs don't like the company or watches, so they get little love here. Anyhow, if that's your thing, then, go for it.

It's most important to like what you own, and buy what you like, as an educated consumer.
    Just had a browse at Invicta's range and I wasn't really a fan tbh. I like the clean styling of the TW Steel.

Have you checked eBay and some of the Parnis (and other) homages?

Quote Originally Posted by bluloo View Post
    Have you checked eBay and some of the Parnis (and other) homages?
    What is Parnis?

Quote Originally Posted by thehogester View Post
    What is Parnis?
    They're largely an "ebay brand" of Chinese watches. The quality can vary from outstanding to average, for the $$. Some sites sell them outside of ebay, due to their success, as well.

Search ebay or Google "parnis watch" and be prepared to do lots of scrolling/clicking through to see the various models. Most buyers are quite happy with their purchases, IMO.
    Last edited by bluloo; October 12th, 2012 at 18:38.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information