Advice for a noob?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Advice for a noob?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice for a noob?

I've decided to finally purchase myself a decent watch, which to me is something from a reputable watch company and of better quality than the fashion watches I've purchased in the past. I'm not in a position to get anything too extravagant. My price range is somewhere around $400. It is my nature to research obsessively before making purchases, so I've gathered plenty of great info from the fine people of this forum (thank you, btw). Anyway, to make a long story slightly shorter, here is my current situation: I purchased a Zeno Watch Basel from a well-respected gray market dealer, which turned out to be fake and I returned it without issue. This has given me time to reconsider my purchase and I'm pondering the following options:

- Purchase a new Tissot (PRS200 or PRS516) quartz or something comparable
    - Pay a little extra for an automatic (e.g. Tissot PRS516)
    - Purchase a used watch on ebay in good condition that would otherwise be out of my price range (e.g. Mido Baroncelli)

I understand that the answer is dependent on which watch appeals to me, but I'm wondering what others have done in similar situations. All things being equal, which option would you lean towards (I'm less concerned about thoughts on the actual models, but rather buying new vs. used, quartz vs. automatic)? Is it much less satisfying purchasing used? I was content buying quartz until I saw an automatic with a glass caseback in person. It really left an impression on me. Would the fact that this is my first decent watch influence your thoughts? Anyway, any thoughts, recommendations, or advice is welcome. Thank you and sorry for the long post!

Re: Advice for a noob?

Welcome!

Quartz vs mechanical - that old chestnut. Quartz is more accurate, reliable, doesn't need servicing (depending on the model; some can't be serviced - just replace the movement); but plenty here find mechanical to be more interesting - myself included. But it will cost you £150 to service every 5 years or so (well, you could just run it into the ground).

I'd buy a gently preowned (not so old) model from a reputable seller. That Mido is nice.

Welcome. You'll find that most people on this forum will greatly prefer mechanical watches to quartz, but it's really up to you what you want in a watch. I find that I'm just as happy to buy used, as there are some fantastic deals out there if you've done your homework. As for a recommendation in that price range, I would suggest taking a look at the Seiko SARB range. You'll find they are often recommended and well liked on this forum, and for good reason.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum. I would get a nice new auto for $400. My top 3 choices for you would be
    Hamilton khaki
    Seiko SARB
    Tissot prc200
    3 great watches with great value from real good watch companies.
    IG~ @whisky_sith

Thank you both for the advice. I'm leaning strongly towards mechanical at this point. I originally didn't think it would matter, but it is increasingly becoming more important to me, so I may as well buy mechanical rather than regret it later.

As for buying used, I wasn't sure if I'd be missing out on the feeling of having a brand new watch on my wrist, but I could live with that if I found a higher end watch for a good deal. Any thoughts on some of the offerings on Kickstarter? Some of the designs seem interesting, but I assume it's a crap shoot with regard to quality.

You've gotten great advice. I'd also add Orient Star to the list. Great value.

I love my Mido Baroncelli, wearing it today, though it's a little above your budget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you want to buy a watch and move on with life, buy the quartz watch and do just that. If you want to hang around this forum for thousands of posts and spend thousands of dollars, buy the mechanical watch…
    WrnrG and mshilling like this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by Watches McGillicutty View Post
    Thank you both for the advice. I'm leaning strongly towards mechanical at this point. I originally didn't think it would matter, but it is increasingly becoming more important to me, so I may as well buy mechanical rather than regret it later.

As for buying used, I wasn't sure if I'd be missing out on the feeling of having a brand new watch on my wrist, but I could live with that if I found a higher end watch for a good deal. Any thoughts on some of the offerings on Kickstarter? Some of the designs seem interesting, but I assume it's a crap shoot with regard to quality.
    For most kickstarter watches there are threads on here where it is being discussed. If there's a kickstarter watch that takes your fancy then do a search on here. There's a wealth of experience that seems pretty good at sorting out the good from the bad.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I'm also a strictly mechanical guy....but that's just me....

I also lean toward buying slightly used. The majority of my watches have been purchased like that, off of someone on the forums. I find it a very nice feeling to have a very nice watch & know I got an exceptional deal on it.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

The Tissot PRS516 auto is a lovely watch and would be my choice out of the ones you listed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information