Advice: obtaining a refund from a member
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Advice: obtaining a refund from a member

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advice: obtaining a refund from a member

Bought from a member here, via gifting unfortunately, and returned it because of undisclosed defects.
    Seller agreed via email in no uncertain terms to provide a full refund.
    Seller received the watch yesterday morning, immediately relisted it and even bumped it once. He has not responded to email or PM regarding the refund.

At which point do I post a detailed account of email exchanges and photos of the watch in question so at the very least it will not be resold to another member unaware of its condition or of dealing with an individual who does not honor his commitments? At a minimum I would like to save other members from the same fate.

Also, without a refund I am technically still the owner and reselling it once more is at the very least unscrupulous.

Thank you

Re: Advice: obtaining a refund from a member

I'd give it 48 hours before you take more public action, giving the member fair warning of your intentions to escalate the matter. Since you chose to send funds as a gift, you may have limited your options with PayPal (assuming that's who you used) for getting your money back. I hope not, but I'm trying to see a reason PayPal could defend your purchase since you chose to circumvent their fee structure which is there in part to support buyers. Good luck, I sincerely hope it turns out well for you.
    Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
    Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    BREITLING: Navitimer Cosmonaute D22322 | CASIO: MTG-910DA, MTG-1200B, GW-200-2JF, GW-5000, GW-M5610, GW-9400 | IWC: Mark XVI 3255-01, Pilot's Chronograph IW3717-04 | OMEGA: Seamaster Professional 2220.5000, Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005 | SEIKO: SARB033 | TAG HEUER: Formula 1 Chronograph CAU1111 | ZENITH: El Primero 1969 Chronomaster 03.2040.400

And give the guy some credit, he's probably trying to sell it to pay you back. He could have told you to go shove it.

Quote Originally Posted by frontside5 View Post
    Bought from a member here, via gifting unfortunately, and returned it because of undisclosed defects.
    Seller agreed via email in no uncertain terms to provide a full refund.
    Seller received the watch yesterday morning, immediately relisted it and even bumped it once. He has not responded to email or PM regarding the refund.

At which point do I post a detailed account of email exchanges and photos of the watch in question so at the very least it will not be resold to another member unaware of its condition or of dealing with an individual who does not honor his commitments? At a minimum I would like to save other members from the same fate.

Also, without a refund I am technically still the owner and reselling it once more is at the very least unscrupulous.

Thank you

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not sure what advice to give but I believe you broke forum rules by using PayPal gift.

If the seller has relisted the item and is asking for PP gift, please find that sales ad and report it to the moderators.
    Lots of dive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    If the seller has relisted the item and is asking for PP gift, please find that sales ad and report it to the moderators.
    I sincerely was not aware of this - I didn't even know PP gift existed and only used it because seller brought it up in PM's during negotiations on pricing. Thanks.

If the seller agreed to take the watch back, he should refund the money the day he receives it, once he validates that it is in the condition he sent it. If he's selling before refunding the money,that's more than a little bad form, it's wrong.

If he doesn't have the money to refund you, than he should have explained that to you.

I'm not addressing the condition of the watch....he agreed to a refund and took it back, so it's not relevant (IMO)
    Rolex GMT Master IIc 116710
    Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Squadra Hometime 7008120
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Mad Cow
    Breitling Blackbird A44359
    Breitling Airwolf a78363
    Breitling Aerospace Avantage E79362
    Panerai Luminor Marina 104
    Glashutte Original Sport Evolution Panorama Date
    IWC Aquatimer 3548
    Tag Heuer Monaco CAW2114

Normally I would give it 3 days. Not all of us are beholden to the internet 24/7. However, since he has already relisted it, I agree that the refund should have been done at the time of the relist.

An issue that hasn't been addressed is the new listing.

You don't state it outright, but you are implying that the new listing trying to resell the watch makes no mention of the defects that caused you to return the watch in the first place.

I can understand someone not disclosing defects they are unaware of.....but in this case, you have brought the defects to the sellers attention and returned the watch. If the new listing doesn't reflect that information, that is proof enough that the member does not plan on proceeding in good faith.

You can say nothing, hoping that the member will give you the refund (likely with funds received by defrauding someone else). Or you can report the member now, and go public with the information (likely saving someone else your fate, but ensuring you do not get a refund). Both options suck, but personally, I'd go with the latter.

You are entitled to a full refund the moment he received the watch. Give him 24 hours to respond then take the steps you can. I'm not clear on how you paid. Hopefully it was by credit card through Paypal. If so start the complaint process there. Also notify the owner of WUS.

Remember that the refund is independent of his success at reselling the watch. He has your money and should return it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information