Advice Please - Genuine Rado?

Thread: Advice Please - Genuine Rado?

Advice Please - Genuine Rado?

Hello everyone.

I recently joined this forum as I found it very helpful when researching into my new hobby of watches.

I've got the bug for vintage recently and have just bought three pieces off ebay (!). If anyone is interested in seeing them, I'd be happy to post photos etc - I'm hoping to collect a couple of them from the Post Office today.

Anyway, I really like the look of some vintage Rado watches I've seen. As a green newbie, I still have extremely limited knowledge when it comes to verifying if a watch is genuine or not. I was hoping to bow to the superior knowledge of any experts on here who would be so kind as to share their thoughts on the following watch:

Vintage Rado Automatic Watch Day Date Rare | eBay

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this in and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Re: Advice Please - Genuine Rado?

Decided not to bid, just in case. Auction now ended....

Any advice on what to look out for re: vintage Rado watches would be appreciated.

It looks genuine, I think you would have been safe to bid. There are lots of those old Rado's around, some nice Purple and Green horse examples with prices that can be easily navigated.

I don't know enough just about rado to give you something specific to look for, although i will say that with any vintage mechanical watch,unless it comes with a certificate proving recent and professuional serice, get a service done to the watch. Lots of vintage watches on ebay will say 'running fine, keeps good time' or 'was recently serviced', but if it can;t be proven, don't believe it. And, just because it is running well and keeping good time doesn't mean that it is not hurting inside and needs attention. Figure the cost of service into your budget.
    Influence is like the wind...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can do this to get up to speed-

Visit the "Pocket Watch and Vintage" forum and use the search function to research whatever brand you wish.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

hullo, welcome to the forum,

I do like the vintage Rado watches as well, very well made and quite unique,

one thing about Rado that always stood out for me is that they were making watches with sapphire crystal back in the 70s when Rolex's Datejust were using plastic,

when buying a vintage Rado ... depending on your value,
    if you just want a cheap vintage Rado, then look for one coming from the Philippines or private seller auctions, but you do get what you pay for.

if you want something a bit more of value/quality,
    one advise I would give is "buy the seller",

look at the seller first, is the seller a trusted watch seller?
    in the example of the link you provided, it seems the Rado could be genuine, but with a reconditioned/repainted dial,
    but I would be very wary since the seller is not a watch seller ... he says it's running perfectly ... I really dont know his criteria for 'running perfectly'

find out the seller's policy regarding any warranty/return, etc.
    you're dealing with a vintage piece, if something goes wrong, it's nice to know you are covered or that the seller could help you out,

there are tons of vintage Rado on eBay, look around and buy from a seller you can trust
    Last edited by ari.seoul; May 14th, 2014 at 21:17.

That is a redial and a poor one at that. The Rado font is not quite right and the Automatic font is all wrong. All Rados from this era have a square cornered day/date window frame in the same metal as the case. I suspect that when it was a genuine Rado it was a Horse or Gazelle model. I cannot tell for sure about the crown, but it does not seem right to me. With these things and no movement picture you did well not to bid on it.

Thank you all very much for your advice.

Am glad I didn't bid for it.

Thread Information