Advice - Question of WISdom (Rolex Submariner)
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Advice - Question of WISdom (Rolex Submariner)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advice - Question of WISdom (Rolex Submariner)

Hello WIS

Merry Christmas for all of you!

A legit watch dealer offered me to exchange my Rolex Explorer 114270 (Year 2004) and my Omega SMP Co-Axial Ceramic (Year 2012) - both watches are in excellent form - with a brand new Rolex Submariner 114060 (no date version). Perhaps I would only add a few bucks as part of the purchase.

Both Omega and Rolex, in my opinion, are two of the best respected and top watchmaker companies. So, for all Omega lovers, I never think that the SMP Ceramic is far away outclassed by the Submariner. I know the SMP is a top notch diver watch. But in my case, it's just because I can get the watch I always dream about.

What makes the situation more difficult is that my Explorer is the 36mm version - which I think would attract many watch lovers in the future. So, in my humble opinion, not mentioning its robust quality, this Explorer should be a keeper. If I can choose, however, I would prefer to only have 1 Rolex and 1 diver watch in my collection.

Do appreciate input and advice from you - I believe many WUS members do have experience and deeper knowledge than me. BTW, I do not post this in Rolex forum as I think I would tend to get more subjective opinions.. :)

Cheers and have a great day!

Re: Advice - Question of WISdom (Rolex Submariner)

Don't do it. Even though the Rolex Sub Ceramic is nice but it's not worth trading both an Explorer I AND a new Ceramic SMP Diver plus a few bucks for it. The dealer is out to make a profit and is lowballing you.

If I were you, I would try to sell both watches separately and buy the Sub C with the money from the sales. I believe you would even have money leftover after doing this.
    Ne parle pas Francais. Parle anglais, si vous plait.

Quote Originally Posted by friedricetheman View Post
    Don't do it. Even though the Rolex Sub Ceramic is nice but it's not worth trading both an Explorer I AND a new Ceramic SMP Diver plus a few bucks for it. The dealer is out to make a profit and is lowballing you.

If I were you, I would try to sell both watches separately and buy the Sub C with the money from the sales. I believe you would even have money leftover after doing this.
    Exactly what I was thinking to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joshivan26 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your advice! :) So should I say you'd okay to get a Sub and release the two watches (of course selling those separately as you'd suggest)?

Quote Originally Posted by friedricetheman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joshivan26 View Post
    If I can choose, however, I would prefer to only have 1 Rolex and 1 diver watch in my collection.
    Therein lies your problem!

Personally I wouldn't do it. That is a nice Explorer and I am not a fan of the SubC - I cannot warm to the wider lugs and the maxi-dial
    Joshivan26 and TheWraith like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    Therein lies your problem!

Personally I wouldn't do it. That is a nice Explorer and I am not a fan of the SubC - I cannot warm to the wider lugs and the maxi-dial
    Thank you and well noted. I realise the wider lugs but somehow weight of the Sub is terrific. BTW, thanks again - much appreciated!! :)

while i agree that selling on your own is always your best option, i think you'll still have to add additional funds to pick-up the subc.

based off what you said thou, i think you're already set with your one rolex and one diver watch. you sound pretty happy with both the rolex and omega, so stay happy :)
    Joshivan26 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshivan26 View Post
    Thank you and well noted. I realise the wider lugs but somehow weight of the Sub is terrific. BTW, thanks again - much appreciated!! :)
    Fair enough, I'm more of a fan of weightier watches - SD is my Rolex of choice.

Does your Explorer have drilled Lugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    Fair enough, I'm more of a fan of weightier watches - SD is my Rolex of choice.

Does your Explorer have drilled Lugs?
    Oh nice watch it is!

No drilled lugs - I wish it has..
    Last edited by Joshivan26; December 30th, 2015 at 11:30.

I wouldn't do it personally. If you're used to having two nice watches in your rotation, and value both, I wouldn't be downgrading to one. My 2c, but if your heart is with the SubC that is up to you. Watches are, after all, an emotional decision as much as an economical one.
    Joshivan26 likes this.
    Ω Omega Seamaster NOS Soccer Timer 145.019
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay Blue 79220B
    TAG Heuer Aquaracer
    WAN2111.BA0822
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage OVM Military Maxi LE #274/300
    Seiko Prospex Monster SRP581

The Hit-List: Omega Ploprof 1200m, JLC Reverso, Breguet La Tradition, IWC Aquatimer, Rolex 'Hulk' Sub, TAG Heuer Aquagraph

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information