Advice re odd(?) behaviour of new Seiko
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By watchingandwaiting

Thread: Advice re odd(?) behaviour of new Seiko

Advice re odd(?) behaviour of new Seiko

Hi,

Experienced some initially weird behaviour with my new Seiko SBDC063 (JDM version of the SPB079) and its 6R15 movement.

Received it Friday -- beautiful watch :- ), and felt great on the wrist, but to my horror it seemed to be visibly gaining time (!) (a couple of seconds a minute?) and also occasionally stopping (!) Since I had wound it (25X?) and had been wearing it for an hour or so at that point, I was alarmed. Wound it a bit more, but same continued. Put it back in box & wrote to AD asking what I should do.

AD customer service was closed over weekend, but yesterday they came back to me and said wind it 40 times and leave face up in box and see what happens. Well, to my surprise this time the watch seemed to be running at pretty well +0 s/d over 12 hours. Knowing the tendency of Seikos to gain time when resting face up, I put it on for a couple of hours last night and this morning, and indeed it seems to be losing a bit of time on the wrist (more than I would like, but not alarmingly so) (-16s/d pace? = about -10 s/d in normal use cycle if stored on back overnight).

I am still a bit of a newcomer to the "watch world" but I've bought a lot(!) of mechanical watches over the past six months, and have never encountered this behaviour. Normally a brief wind to get the watch going + being on the wrist seems to be fine.

Can anyone offer any explanation for why the watch would have initially had such erratic performance? It seems to have "recovered" but is this a sign that something could be wrong? I've read a number of threads on WUS that talk about the 6R15, but nothing seems to touch on my experience. Also, have this movement in at least five of my other Seikos, all of which have had 0 issues and performed to COSC-like accuracy.

Thanks!

Name:  Seiko SBDC063 (small).jpg
Views: 68
Size:  928.7 KB

Re: Advice re odd(?) behaviour of new Seiko

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget...ing/Regulating :

"Regulating a mechanical watch means making it run slightly faster or slower, by making a small change in the effective length of the balance hairspring. The shorter the effective length, the quicker the balance completes its swing and so the watch runs faster. If the effective length is made greater, the opposite occurs."

Maybe hairspring was stuck/sticking to something, which shortened effective length of hairspring, made the watch run faster, but after more running, has since become unstuck and is running more accurately?

e.g. Watch Adjusted Positions :

"A dirty, rusty or magnetized hairspring can also cause positional error. While the balance is oscillating the spring may stick together in one or more positions while breathing normally in others. Sticking hairsprings are very common so always check them under high magnification to determine their condition."

Quote Originally Posted by rdoder View Post
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget...ing/Regulating :

"Regulating a mechanical watch means making it run slightly faster or slower, by making a small change in the effective length of the balance hairspring. The shorter the effective length, the quicker the balance completes its swing and so the watch runs faster. If the effective length is made greater, the opposite occurs."

Maybe hairspring was stuck/sticking to something, which shortened effective length of hairspring, made the watch run faster, but after more running, has since become unstuck and is running more accurately?

Thanks for your thoughts rdoder. The question for me is whether having this kind of "sticking" on first wind (if that was the issue) is within the realm of normal, or is likely to come back and bite me 1 week, month, or year down the road (i.e. no, this is not normal and could indicate something is seriously wrong)?

The AD is overseas, so would be a lot simpler to do nothing if the watch is OK, but as mentioned my other watches with this movement certainly didn't show any of this kind of issue even on first wind / wear.
    rdoder likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe one option is to run the watch some more and see what happens. If it runs wonky again, if you have warranty with Seiko, get warranty repair then?

It could be magnetized... it happens more to my watches than you might think.

Download the free Lepsi app and follow the directions to set it up, then use it to see if the watch is magnetized. If it is, you can buy a degauser off amazon for around $10. I have one and it works perfectly, give the watch a few passes, test again and the magnetism should be rectified.

My watches tend to get magnetized from either travel or shipping, and the evidence that it happened is when it starts gaining a lot of time as you described.
    Tag Heuer Carrera Day Date ref WAR201E Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time ref WV2116 Tag Heuer Formula 1 ref WAZ2114 Tag Heuer Carrera Jack Heuer 81 ref CV5111Omega Speedmaster Tintin ref 311.30.42.30.01.004Omega Seamaster 300m ref 212.30.41.20.01.002
    Omega Planet Ocean 600m ref 232.32.46.21.01.005 Tudor Heritage Black Bay Black ref 79230N Rolex Submariner ref 114060 Rolex Explorer I Mk1 ref 214270 Eterna Kontiki ref 1220.41 Longines Legend Diver no date ref L3.674.456.2 Laco Cuxhaven ​ref. 862104

If you’ve not already done so wear the watch to see if it misbehaves again. If it does contact the AD and tell him that the watch is not working as it should when worn but seems fine off the wrist. If it runs O.K. don’t worry about it as you’ve always got the warranty to fall back on if it packs in.

Demagnitize the watch. A cheap problem solving attempt. If the problem persists do the warranty claim service.

Thanks for the further replies -- I should have mentioned that the first thing I checked was for magnetism. I have a degausser and it has fixed more than a few apparent watch problems for me, but in this case there was 0 magnetism.

I like the theory that it was a sticky spring that has since resolved itself. If it got bumped around during shipping, it may have crossed coils that got rectified with the full wind and some wear. I also believe there is some break in time for a watch (it has a soul! hahaha) and it needs a few weeks to settle down to a regular pattern.
    While -10/day is not awesome, it is understandable and acceptable. Once you have it "broken in," then be methodical about checking the performance. I like the 6R15 and have had good results from it. If you have the tools and confidence, you can try a little regulating yourself with a light touch on the arm (be sure to hack the watch before poking around with a toothpick - don't want to drop it in the balance wheel and ruin it!). I prefer my watches to run a little fast, if not spot on.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

Thread Information