Advice on seamaster 600
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hatman14

Thread: Advice on seamaster 600

Advice on seamaster 600

Hi all,

I got my hands on this vintage seamaster 600 on Thursday, I don't know much about vintage omegas at all so thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone can tell me a bit more about it, age etc I think the second hand is aftermarket as haven't seen a yellow second hand on one before and the crown doesn't have the omega logo on either so thinking that's been replaced, if anyone can tell me anything about it that would be great, I want to see if I can get the plating taken off have silver again as gold watches aren't my thing, it seems to be keeping good time too

Re: Advice on seamaster 600

Caveat: Others probably know more than me and I'm no watchmaker, but lets see how well I can do.

My guess is its from the mid-1960s. Crowns are often replaced as the winding mechanism is often the most worn part of a mechanical watch (since its the part where force is introduced into the mechanism). My guess is the movement is a 601 calibre - so if you have the tools to open it and take a pic, that'd be cool. Be careful though, its a cool watch! Not sure about the seconds hand, someone else might be able to help out with that but I'd suspect you are right.

I'd be inclined to leave the gold plating on too, since the hour markers and hands are also gold.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by AussieLoads View Post
    Caveat: Others probably know more than me and I'm no watchmaker, but lets see how well I can do.

My guess is its from the mid-1960s. Crowns are often replaced as the winding mechanism is often the most worn part of a mechanical watch (since its the part where force is introduced into the mechanism). My guess is the movement is a 601 calibre - so if you have the tools to open it and take a pic, that'd be cool. Be careful though, its a cool watch! Not sure about the seconds hand, someone else might be able to help out with that but I'd suspect you are right.

I'd be inclined to leave the gold plating on too, since the hour markers and hands are also gold.
    Thanks mate, yeah I guessed about the 60s I don't have any tools so won't open it, I think you're right on it being a 601 calibre, it's 34mm and I've only seen one other 600 with a yellow second had and that had numbers and markers which makes me sure it's been replaced, it is a cool watch, I got it for £230 which I thinks reasonable, the guy wanted £320 so knocked him down, hopefully it's a good price, not overly fussed as I like the watch, I have a longines with gold markers and a silver case and it looks fine, I may leave it, it's different to everything else I have so may be best to keep it as it is, the dial doesn't really show how it's ages in my pictures but in likes it looks really nice and worn, people at work asked "why the dial looked rusty!" They didn't get that the attraction :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hatman14 View Post
    Thanks mate, yeah I guessed about the 60s I don't have any tools so won't open it, I think you're right on it being a 601 calibre, it's 34mm and I've only seen one other 600 with a yellow second had and that had numbers and markers which makes me sure it's been replaced, it is a cool watch, I got it for £230 which I thinks reasonable, the guy wanted £320 so knocked him down, hopefully it's a good price, not overly fussed as I like the watch, I have a longines with gold markers and a silver case and it looks fine, I may leave it, it's different to everything else I have so may be best to keep it as it is, the dial doesn't really show how it's ages in my pictures but in likes it looks really nice and worn, people at work asked "why the dial looked rusty!" They didn't get that the attraction :)
    Its a nice looking watch! I'd almost consider getting a brown strap for it too, but it seems you got a pretty good deal so congrats. I'm with you on the price thing as well, part of the value is what you're willing to pay, but I'd say you got a nice little deal out of it. A vintage Seamaster is high on my list and I was about to grab one when the Speedmaster ref I wanted came up a few weeks back and I impulsed on it...

You're right though, there's something about a bit of a worn dial, adds character to a vintage. Wish the people I work with would care enough to notice!
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by AussieLoads View Post
    Its a nice looking watch! I'd almost consider getting a brown strap for it too, but it seems you got a pretty good deal so congrats. I'm with you on the price thing as well, part of the value is what you're willing to pay, but I'd say you got a nice little deal out of it. A vintage Seamaster is high on my list and I was about to grab one when the Speedmaster ref I wanted came up a few weeks back and I impulsed on it...

You're right though, there's something about a bit of a worn dial, adds character to a vintage. Wish the people I work with would care enough to notice!
    Yeah I will get a brown strap for it, brown and gold does look better, plus I normally wear brown shoes etc so it will match!
    Yeah I knew it wasn't over the top price wise, looking on eBay they cost more and normally abroad so I didn't have to wait for shipping, but it's always nice to get a good deal :)
    I do want a speedmaster too! Not see when I'll get it tho! And yeah patina adds character to it, most I've seen had bad looking dials but this one is lovely!
    The girls at work know about my watch obsession so normally comment and think I'm mad! They are right tho!
    Cheers
    AussieLoads likes this.

Thread Information