Advice on Seiko SARB035
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Advice on Seiko SARB035

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on Seiko SARB035

I'm looking into finally getting myself a nicer watch. I know that I for sure want it to be some kind of mechanical (not quartz) and would prefer an automatic so I don't have to wind it. For my first nice watch I'm looking at staying under $500 and want a clean looking design with a metal band. The watch that I have found that I think I really like based on pictures is the Seiko SARB035. I really like the look of it, and it seems like a really nice watch from everything I have read. My only concern is that you can't find it here in USA. You have to order it from Japan. This means I would have to order it before seeing it in person.

So the advice I'm looking for is two things:
    1. What sort of things could I do to help determine if that really is the watch I should order, without being able to see it in person. Should I look at ones of similar sizes to make sure it's the right size? etc...
    2. Are there any similar alternatives (any brand) that I could see in the US that I should consider getting instead because I could actually see it in person to make sure I like it.

Thanks!

Re: Advice on Seiko SARB035

Well, it might be worth it to check out similarly sized (37-38mm) watches, but in general, 37mm is fine for an ordinary sized man. It's a dressy watch, so it's not massive, but neither is it tiny.

The SARB line is probably the best in its price range, but Hamilton, Tissot, Mido and Orient make good competitors. Orient you won't be able to see in person though.

There are several watches in the SARB line so be sure to check out the other styles. Yes they are all fine good looking watches so pick the one that looks the best to you. Be aware that they are fairly tall for a 38mm watch and will be a presence on your wrist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Be aware that they are fairly tall for a 38mm watch and will be a presence on your wrist.
    That's true, as well as the fact that aren't light. If you are looking for a thin, light dress watch the SARB isn't for you. They are both elegant and sophisticated, but they are also substantial. Try to find a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic or Tissot Visodate and try them on. If you can live with the size and weight of those watches, you will be happy with a Seiko SARB.
    TristanZ

Audemars Piguet Bernhardt Breitling Corum JeanRichard Elgin Eterna Gerald Genta Hamilton
    IWC Jaeger-LeCoultre
    Omega Rolex Seiko Timex Vache
    ron Constantin Zenith

Horologium manuale meum stitit.

The Seiko SARB 065 has caught my eye. One day I might actually bite:

Attachment 978164
    geoffbot, CitizenM and KPR like this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    The Seiko SARB 065 has caught my eye. One day I might actually bite:

Attachment 978164
    The Cocktail Time is always a temptation for me even though I already have a GS.
    KPR likes this.

I've been considering a SARB for months. I'm stuck between Cocktail Time or SARB071, which runs roughly 100 bucks cheaper. Or, call it a draw and swing for an Alpinist, which is in the middle.
    CitizenM likes this.

the 40mm of the Cocktail Time is what is putting me off the most.
    The 41mm Carrera I wear is pretty much as big as I can go and even then, I know it's probably the wrong side of the limit. With this one being more of a dress watch, that might be even more true.

As such, the 38mm of the 035 is in principle more attractive if only for the size and the 045 looks like a nice shade of Seiko/Epson blue.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Oooh...love the Sarb 065 cocktail time styling. I"m not sure about the overall size (height and width) though. Could be a sizeable looking watch.

I would check out the Hamilton Intra-matic and Thin-O-Matic, but they may costs you $550.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information