Advice for selling watches
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Advice for selling watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi All,

I am brand new to the forum and my searches around selling watches ended up getting me to the sales corner, which wasn't what I was looking for. Being relatively new to the watch world, I've made the mistake of pulling the trigger a little too much. After some thought, I've come to the conclusion that one of my pieces, <removed by Admin>, isn't speaking to me. On the flipside, I recently tried on a no-date Sub (non-ceramic) and it was just perfect. I also recently learned that my second child will be a boy, and I feel like the Sub would be the perfect watch for the occasion that I can someday pass on to him.

Sorry for all the rambling...

My question is:
    Since I have no prior history of selling watches, what is the best way to liquidate my <removed by Admin> so that I can contribute it towards the Sub? I fear that I won't have much luck with eBay because of my lack of feedback as a seller. Chrono24 charges an upfront fee of almost 4%, but I feel like few watches seem to move on that site. I can't sell on this forum because I'm new to it, and also have not contributed to a hundred posts. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated towards my grail watch!
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; November 17th, 2017 at 08:36. Reason: nice try

Re: Advice for selling watches

eBay
    Pallet Spoon likes this.

Every seller starts with no feedback on ebay. As long you take good photos and provide a good description, you shouldn't have a problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Be patient, and start participating in the forums here--you can easily reach your quota. The bay is also a good place to sell, but there too, newbies will not do well. On a side note, while a noble idea of passing on the proposed Sub to your son, it is quite likely in 2040, or 2050 or whenever the hand down takes place, that the Sub might not be all that appealing to your son--different era, different possibilities--I always suggest avoiding the easy rationalisations people make to buy watches (such as passing it along some day) and buy for what you now see as a good and worthwhile purchase.

you won't have any luck on ebay with 0 feedback selling expensive items. Sell some cheap junk, and buy some too first.
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; November 17th, 2017 at 08:37.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    On a side note, while a noble idea of passing on the proposed Sub to your son, it is quite likely in 2040, or 2050 or whenever the hand down takes place, that the Sub might not be all that appealing to your son--different era, different possibilities--I always suggest avoiding the easy rationalisations people make to buy watches (such as passing it along some day) and buy for what you now see as a good and worthwhile purchase.
    This is a good point. The sub has always been a grail for me and the passing-on idea is more of a catalyst from a timing perspective.

Regarding your other point about seeing if I could contribute enough in the forums to get to a point of selling my watch. Will I not have the same issues, whereas in this case it will be a lack of references?

Quote Originally Posted by SethThomas View Post
    you won't have any luck on ebay with 0 feedback selling expensive items. Sell some cheap junk, and buy some too first.
    This was my initial thought as well. Luckily, I have purchased a few things on eBay, including my Speedy Reduced, so maybe that will help. Do you think selling cheap junk will help though? I feel like any serious buyer would look at the seller history and when they see cheap junk, discredit it.

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liyoo86 View Post

Regarding your other point about seeing if I could contribute enough in the forums to get to a point of selling my watch. Will I not have the same issues, whereas in this case it will be a lack of references?
    No.

In the meantime, you can sell it on eBay or elsewhere.
    Last edited by soaking.fused; November 17th, 2017 at 00:48.

Banned

This seems like a thinly veiled attempt to elicit offers from the forum members, without being able to post for sale. I think the options for selling your watch are fairly obvious, as are the drawbacks of each; eBay, craigslist, Chrono24. I doubt anyone here is going to come up with some new avenue you haven't considered. I think the advice of participating in the forum to reach your 100 posts is the best option. You'll reach 100 posts quickly, and if you have good photos and good communication, you'll find a buyer eventually.

An option that has not yet been presented is to discuss a trade in with a dealer. Many of the dealers on the forum will accept trade ins for upgrade to another piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pallet Spoon likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information