Advice shipping overseas -- Need help from seasoned international sellers
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bradjhomes

Thread: Advice shipping overseas -- Need help from seasoned international sellers

Off Topic post Advice shipping overseas -- Need help from seasoned international sellers

Last time I shipped something, it was to Australia. The package safely arrived, though there were some hiccups (the watch passing through Japan customs). You guys were great helping me out with that. I come with another question. Now I'm thinking about shipping a more expensive item to the UK, worth near 1k. Do I indicate exactly what the item is on the custom form? I recall reading that one should never show any indicators that a watch may be inside the package. Last time I wasn't too worried indicating that the item was a digital watch, but I'm reluctant to indicate that it's a watch at this price point.

And for US sellers, what's your preferred USPS method for shipping watches overseas? I tried registered with tracking last time (the tracking was unreliable) but the watch eventually got to Australia in about three weeks. I'd like to use a method that is just as reliable, but faster.

I'm thinking about going Global Express with insurance up to 2k. Or I could go registered again or try a different shipping service. What do you guys think? There are so many options that it's a little bewildering.

Thanks all in advance. Going from CONUS only to international sales is still a little nerve wracking for me, but I'd like to learn and perhaps become a global seller.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Re: Advice shipping overseas -- Need help from seasoned international sellers

Just a little forward: not that you were suggesting it at all but import tax avoision is illegal so may not be disccused. I don't know if marking at item as not a watch constitutes this, but anyway. I shipped a watch to the states once and their customs asked how many JEWELS the watch had before clearing it. Really?! Luckily I knew...

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Just a little forward: not that you were suggesting it at all but import tax avoision is illegal so may not be disccused. I don't know if marking at item as not a watch constitutes this, but anyway. I shipped a watch to the states once and their customs asked how many JEWELS the watch had before clearing it. Really?! Luckily I knew...
    I'd like to describe the watch accurately, but it makes me nervous with mail thieves and all. I wonder how others have dealt with it: just mark it as a watch and insure it and ship? Fortunately, I don't think I'll have to indicate the number of jewels. That's a little absurd.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Surely if you falsely or incorrectly declare what the item is then it would invalidate the insurance ? If I was a Uk buyer buying from USA I would want maximum safety.

Also If I was buying watch from abroad I would also make the allowance for customs charges, so if was buying from you I would insist it is covered.

I've found Fedex, DHL and UPS to be sound when buying from abroad, USPS has always been hit and miss for me

I've had several watches come to me in the UK from the USA. Every single time is was flawless. The parcels are tracked at both ends, so there isn't much opportunity for it to go missing en route.

Make sure you insure it to its full value and fill out customs forms accurately. If you don't do this then any insurance you take out and pay for may be worthless.

If you do things properly, in my experience you won't have anything to worry about.
    Ottovonn likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I've only ever shipped items of value internationally using a "proper" parcels/delivery/logistics company.

TNT and FedEx.

The first watch I bought living outside of CONUS was from an awesome WIS in Arizona. He marked the Omega I bought "stainless steel horological parts", got here with no issues. Been using that tag line as a buyer and seller when dealing offshore ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like USPS priority

Just make sure that if you do not use third party insurance that you understand indemnity limits with the USPS. Most European nations will only reimburse for $600 once it hits their shores.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

Thread Information