Advice sought - a functional watch (Radio controlled, always correct day/date; well built)
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advice sought - a functional watch (Radio controlled, always correct day/date; well built)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice sought - a functional watch (Radio controlled, always correct day/date; well built)

I've been tearing my hair out trying to buy a watch I find acceptable... My shopping list of requirements includes:

Must be:

• Clear analogue face (no numbers on face, plain dark background, 12 'ticks', elegant.)
    • Good quality case/strap.
    • Reliably tells me the correct date and time without requiring regular fiddling with month-lengths or daylight savings.

Prefer:

• Is solar powered
    • Has alarm.

Three watches have come to my attention:

• Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Watch Cb0020-50E
    • A friend has this watch. I like its quality construction; the solar power design, its radio control correct time/date... The face is more cluttered than I'd prefer. I don't need the names of cities around the bezel and I think the radio-control notification is too prominent.

• Casio LCW-M170TD-1AER
    • ​I prefer the clean appearance of the face, to the Citizen, and like the idea of a titanium case. Features sound ideal.

• Casio LCW-M170D-1AER
    • ​I prefer the black background to the digital display - I think this looks far more elegant in the photo. I'm unsure about whether the steel case is as good as the titanium one of its sibling above.

I've tried to find stockists for the two Casios in the UK - to no avail. I've even emailed the approved vendors - only to be told that there is no intention to make either of these watches available to the UK market. I could bite the bullet and order one of them from mainland Europe - but I'm a little nervous about that- as I'm aware that build quality is, at best, erm... "variable" with Casio watches.

I know that these watches aren't collector-item price-range, but I'd prefer not to waste hundreds buying a timepiece with which I will be disappointed. Can anyone on this forum provide some objective/subjective feedback about the Casio watches (assuming someone owns them) - or, perhaps, you would recommend that I consider a different watch.

Perfection would be a watch built by Citizen with the design of face/functionality from the second Casio.

Any hints?
    Last edited by aSteve641; January 28th, 2015 at 22:40.

Re: Advice sought - a functional watch (Radio controlled, always correct day/date; well built)

How about a Citizen AT8010-58E?

Yes, it's a chronograph, and that photo shows it at its least readable (because they're showing off the rather cool dial)... still, it has a far less cluttered look than the CB0020.

Name:  at8010-58e-01.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  104.9 KB

A more typical image.

There are a lot of variations on the World Chronograph, but this (and the white dial version) are the most readable.

There is also a very plain RC Citizen with very little face marking at all... but it's JDM and JJY time signal only (this is the white dial version ATD53-2892):

If only that worked outside Japan, you'd be set.

Re: Advice sought - a functional watch (Radio controlled, always correct day/date; well built)

Citizen Blue Angel did it for me. Solar, RF calibrated, sapphire crystal, fair WR rating, chrono, easy to read analog, world timer, etc. Lot of quartz watch for the money
    "Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized." - Daniel Burnham

A few Rolex
    A few Omega
    Some miscellaneous
    A bunch of cheap beaters

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor View Post
    Yes, it's a chronograph, and that photo shows it at its least readable (because they're showing off the rather cool dial)... still, it has a far less cluttered look than the CB0020.
    I'd prefer to avoid a chronograph - I've no use for that feature... and it definitely clutters the watch face.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor View Post
    There is also a very plain RC Citizen with very little face marking at all... but it's JDM and JJY time signal only (this is the white dial version ATD53-2892):
    If only that worked outside Japan, you'd be set.
    That one's not bad - though I still prefer the face of the Casios. BTW - I need this to work in the UK.

Are the Casios substantially worse quality? They look good in the photos...
    Last edited by aSteve641; January 29th, 2015 at 00:53.

Banned

budget????

In my experience, Casio are more robust than Citizen. Order from anywhere as the watches are not special in UK, same as Europe. Amazon has an excellent return policy.

Atomic watches are the onLY ones with automatic Correction for Daylight savings where the watch resets on instruction from the radio tower. This will work well in the UK when within range of the radio transmitter.

English

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat...w-m170td-1aer/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Radio-.../dp/B00IF3KDT2

Last edited by yankeexpress; January 29th, 2015 at 03:11.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Quote Originally Posted by aSteve641 View Post
    Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Watch Cb0020-50E
    • A friend has this watch. I like its quality construction; the solar power design, its radio control correct time/date... The face is more cluttered than I'd prefer. I don't need the names of cities around the bezel and I think the radio-control notification is too prominent.

Perfection would be a watch built by Citizen with the design of face/functionality from the second Casio.
    Ah, that's my favorite watch of my small stash. I was going to tell you that it looks less cluttered in real life than in Citizen's photos, but you've already seen your friend's.

Unfortunately, Citizen tends to clutter up their designs a lot, especially when there are additional tech features like atomic sync. Maybe that's to help show them off when they're sitting in a display case.

They do make a variant with a plain bezel and the cities printed around the chapter ring under the crystal (where the "0 +1 +2..." are on this one). I don't remember the model number, though. It looks less sporty and more dressy.

Junghans? They have a lot of radio controlled options, but may be out of your budget.

056/4220.00 Milano Mega Solar Radio Controlled Watch by Junghans
    Last edited by banks504; January 29th, 2015 at 03:12.

This is the one I would pick. The only thing missing is titanium case and band to cut down the weight or I would already own it. Very simple, black face, no stop watch/count-down timer nonsense.

Casios are excellent quality watches for the money. I'd go for that titanium out of those 3.
    domayotte likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information