Advice on a Swiss watch under $1500?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TK-421

Thread: Advice on a Swiss watch under $1500?

Advice on a Swiss watch under $1500?

I am planning to buy my first Swiss watch (other than a Swatch) after the holidays and can spend up to around $1500. Because I'm new to the world of quality watches, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest brands/models to look at? I have perused various catalogs and websites and admit that there are too many choices and I'm a bit overwhelmed by what's out there. I'm a fan of what, it seems to me, is the classic look, for instance, the Revue Thommen Le Club (10010.2542) is a look I prefer. A second question is about the actual purchase process. I travel to Switzerland (annually) and New York (more often) on business and so can visit stores (my preference over online purchasing). But in both locales there are more stores than I can easily sort through. So the question is, how one locates a good store the offers both reasonably priced watches (I'm in the 99%, not the 1%) and good service to someone not planning to drop $5000 and up on a watch? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Re: Advice on a Swiss watch under $1500?

Welcome to the forum! You're asking a fairly broad question (or two), so it's difficult to answer. You're right -- there are many different brands and it can be confusing and probably a week doesn't pass that I don't learn about a new watch brand of which I was not previously aware.

I'd say you might want to spend some time browsing through the various Watchuseek forums to get a better focus on what you like, the size of the watch and its features. If you like the "classic" look like the Revue Thommen in a size around 38 mm, you might want to look at some of the offerings of Hamilton, Longines or Tissot. There are sub-forums for each of those brands also on WUS, so I'd suggest taking some time to browse through, look at all the photos and read the owner comments. Also, be sure to check the review sections in each sub-forum.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

For my money, the best watch to be had right now under $1500 is the Victorinox Airboss Mach 8. There's one in the private sellers forum here going for $1300.

Name:  DSC_0263.jpg
Views: 13193
Size:  85.3 KB

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/vic...on-618662.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/ther...00-617483.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/***-need-some-help-recommendations-gift-watch-budget-$1500***-579225.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/dress-watch-under-$1-500-chime-thank-you-581136.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/best-dive-watch-around-$1500-usd-390933.html
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; December 11th, 2011 at 17:59.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Like you have mentioned, New York has a ton of places to buy, but it may be difficult to sort out, especially in the short span of a business trip. Tourneau is known for carrying a large variety of brands, but they are not known for great discounts. I would do some footwork and check some of the smaller places out as well, in your spare time.

Longines, Baume and Mercier, Hamilton, Tissot, Raymond Weil, Frederique Constant, Edox, are all brands that are within you reach. You also didn't specify if you are looking for an automatic or quartz, as this will affect the price greatly.

An online purchase may also be beneficial to you as well in the $1500 range, as you may be able to get a better grade watch than you would be able to purchase retail in a store at this price point. There are usually heavy online discounts at this price level.
    Last edited by Duder; December 11th, 2011 at 18:09.

i like this hamilton chrono and ball.

ball fireman victory

hamilton chrono

Perseus likes this.

I think you should take a look Oris Artelier Complication because it is under your budget. And you get Moonphase+GMT

Follow my own time

Thread Information