Advice on a TAO-060SD

Thread: Advice on a TAO-060SD

Advice on a TAO-060SD

Hi everyone.
    I know litterly nothing about watches. Absolutely nothing. But I'm looking for a unique skeleton watch at low price. I don't want a watch that i have to wind up all the time. I found a website called Tao international. To me they have some beautiful looking watches. Especially the TAO-060SD. here's the link.
    Tao International Automatic Skeleton Tourbillon Watch
    So does this watch require no winding what so ever? Can I actually see all the gears moving around and working??
    I genuinly don't understand what the description on the page is telling me. It says it has a power reserve???
    If someone could give me some helpful info on this watch i would most appreciate it, do you recommend it?
    Or if you can recommend any other auto skeleton watches that would be great
    Thank you for any help
    Scott
    Last edited by Hendouk; February 6th, 2012 at 19:37.

Re: Advice on a TAO-060SD

Your linked watch has a faux tourbillon movement. Do not buy it. It looks poorly made and will not last.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Seiko diver. It is well made and, DO NOT PANIC, it has a mechanical movement. They do require winding but that really isn't a problem. Most watches fully wound will last about 40ish hours. The watch in the link is a classic example of quality engineering and reliable construction.

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch: Seiko: Watches

If you must have a skeletonized watch, you can really only go for Oris as a quality offering. You will find many crappy Chinese skeleton watches on the 'bay but do not go for them. They are a waste and will break.

http://www.amazon.com/Oris-733-7560-...8565383&sr=1-1

Here is a more affordable skeletonized watch, forgot about this one. There are some nice color choices too.

http://orientwatchusa.com/mens/modern-watches/wv0331er

"Or if you can recommend any other auto skeleton watches that would be great"

BTW, if you want an "auto" or automatic watch, winding is the only way it will work. Just saying.

Here is an excellent video on the fundamentals of watch mechanics. It is the first step developing a knowledge of watches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJdofFLjINE
    Last edited by averagejoe303; February 6th, 2012 at 23:11.
    "Tempus Fugit"

Current Collection:

Seiko SNKEO9K1 ----- Omega Seamaster "Geneva" ---- Seiko 6309-7290 ----- Seiko SSC015 ---- Revue Thommen Airspeed

Welcome to the forums Scott!

Good advice averagejoe, but briefly:

An automatic watch contains a small weighted rotor which moves with your wrist and winds a spring which powers the watch. As averagejoe says the 40 hour power reserve means that once fully wound (automatically, or manually) you can put the watch down for up to 40 hours and it'll still keep...er...'ticking' will do for this lesson. Longer than that and the spring will have unwound and have no energy left so you'll have to correct the time when you pick it up, but as soon as you put it back on your wrist it'll start winding the spring and start...ticking again.

The only watches you have to wind are manual mechanical watches: autos are just that - automatic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. here is a little youtube video of the watch of the TAO-060SD. It looks so nice but like i said i know very little. peoples reviews on it are so mixed from what ive seen so far. some saying its great and others saying its rubbish. Would you say that Tao international are abit cheaply made then???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhSuZUNwpFk
    Last edited by Hendouk; February 7th, 2012 at 00:07.

Here's the thing, I highly doubt that "Tao International" is really a manufacturer. They most likely just slap in "off the shelf" chinese movements in standard case designs. They are rubbish because they are not really a brand. We call them "mushroom brands". They pop up every once in while then disappear. This happens a lot.

This doesn't mean that all watches from China are bad. This company Good Chinese Mechanical Watches/Direct From Hong Kong Workshop/$140 ... is a great example of a decent chinese company. They are honest about their origins, they do not try to be something that they are not, and they test the movements that they buy extremely well. You might consider them a good option.
    "Tempus Fugit"

Current Collection:

Seiko SNKEO9K1 ----- Omega Seamaster "Geneva" ---- Seiko 6309-7290 ----- Seiko SSC015 ---- Revue Thommen Airspeed

Thread Information