Advise for a 15 Year old

Thread: Advise for a 15 Year old

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advise for a 15 Year old

I am a 15 year old watch collector...I love watches almost as much as lacrosse. I was wondering if you had any tips or advise for a fellow watch collector. I am fairly knowledgeable on watches and i know my stuff.

Respectfully
    Cameron

Re: Advise for a 15 Year old

welcome to watchuseek Cameron and to the public forum where all things watches are discussed. I saw your list of watches you have to date. a very impressive collection. I don't have any watch related tips for you at the moment. maybe you could tell us what you like in a watch. that would certainly get the ball rolling.

Here are my top ten fav brands

1.Vacheron Constantin
    2.Audemars Piguet
    3.Breguet
    4.Ulysse Nardin
    5.HD3
    6.Zenith
    7.Patek Phillippe
    8.Oris
    9.Omega
    10.Aquanautic

I also love very big, heavy, and bright watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome, Cameron. (Getting into this a bit late aren't you? Shouldn't you have started at, say, 10 or 12? Oh, well - there's plenty of time to catch up when you start to ride with this group of enablers! )

I'll start off with my standard advice cliche: "Be a watch collector, not a watch snob." IOW, appreciate all that tell time - not just the fancy, or the expensive, or the rare.

And consider yourself extremely lucky to have been led to this place. There are so many truly knowledgeable people here, even after 30 years of collecting, I just consider myself another uneducated-but-willing-to-learn noob in the crowd.

(..and two more: 1. try to inherit at least $2.3-million sometime in the next 10 years 'cause you'll need it here, and 2. don't forget about the sunscreen.... )

Cameron- Maybe a good start for you would be to get one of your parents interested in watch collecting :) Hey, I wish my son had your interest in watches- he'd surely be making out like a bandit.

Summer's here. My advice would be to find ways to make money around the house- odd jobs, that sort of thing. You have expensive taste in watches, and you're gonna need the money.

Most of us here have started small, and dreamed and drooled for years before being able to afford our nicer watches. But we got there, and now we're living the dream. Keep your eyes on the pre-owned market, because likely that'll be where you need to be, cost-wise.

Mechanical watches, for now, might be out of your league. There are plenty of relatively inexpensive mechanical watches, however- sometimes when you don't have a lot of options, you're going to need to make "trade-offs". (you get some of the things you want in a watch, but not all of them- where you place a higher priority on some factors than others)

You might know all this stuff already. Based on your list of faves, it does sound like you've got some brainpower on your side. Best of luck to you- I'm sure that in time, you'll be wearing some of the brands you mentioned on your wrist.

Rick.

I agree start small. This hobby tends to get expensive after a while. Judging by your list I would advise going with the aquanautic.. Big size with interchangeable parts will give the perception of having a different watch on all the time. Either way you have great taste, good luck in your hunt..
    I wish I loved watches when i was 15yrs old!

Great to see you having a serious interest at such a young age. I think PoliceDog's first piece of advice is right on the money. Collector, not snob.

Nice top ten list. if you haven't checked out Sinn or Stowa yet, I would encourage you to do so. But there are so many good and interesting brands out there, you will find what speaks to you and it looks like you are well in your way.

If you like this hobby, get a solid education so you can afford to indulge yourself. Your living expenses as you get older are likely to be more than you may think. Add a girlfriend or wife....eeek.....$$$ seem to fly out of your pocket.

You will find a lot of great people here, who you can learn a lot from, much of which will have nothing to do with watches. Thanks for posting, and hope to see you around the forums.

p.s. I thought you were great in Ferris Buhlers Day Off (sorry, couldn't help myself)
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Hey Cameron. Welcome! This is a great forum and if you spend a lot of time here you will learn so much.

I'm 19 and have been a watch nut for at least 10 years already. My advice for you is SAVE UP YOUR MONEY. When you get a paycheck or present, don't go out and spend it right way. Put some thought into whatever you're buying that costs more than $100, and prioritize your spending. Luckily I was never much of a video game player, because the cost of systems and games would have decimated my watch budget.

I see you have a lot of watches, and I would advice you to make the quality or quantity decision. There is nothing wrong with having a ton of less expensive watches if that makes you happy, but I prefer to have fewer, more expensive pieces. Because I don't jump and buy every little thing I want at the moment, I was able to buy an Omega, and my brother, who is 15 as well, has done the same.

Welcome!

Cameron, hi. I've been collecting for a few years.

A few things:
    - Your list is impressive. My recomendation is to find the types of watches that will best suit you and your personal style. A suggestion is start with dive watches. They are pretty durable and you could start with Seiko and move up to Omega. Just a thought.
    - Keep asking questions and never become an expert. You have made a good start by coming here and asking. Also, I applaud your introduction. You are very polite and that goes along way.
    - Take your time. Don't make hasty decisions.
    - Have fun.

Frank.

Thanks for all the great advice. To be a watch collector is to own just one more watch is what ive learned from my experience

Respectfully,
    Cameron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information