Advise, please: Speedy Pro vs. Ball Engineer Master II Diver

Thread: Advise, please: Speedy Pro vs. Ball Engineer Master II Diver

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advise, please: Speedy Pro vs. Ball Engineer Master II Diver

Hey everyone, with a birthday and Christmas coming up, I'm planning on (literally) cashing in on the good will of my wife and parents to make my first major watch purchase. And while I know some of you will think there's no match here in terms of history and timelessness, I'm having a hard time deciding between the Ball Engineer Master II Diver with a black bezel, and the classic Speedmaster Professional.

I've been wanting a Speedy for a long time -- it's a grail of mine, for sure, and I'm positive that I'll own one at some point. The price difference between the two is pretty substantial, though -- right around $800 with discounts.

What I've always liked most about the Speedy is its versatility -- as easily worn with jeans as it is with a suit, on a bracelet or on a strap. And I've never really been a fan of divers, but for some reason, I'm just in love with the all-black Ball EMII Diver -- I feel like of all the divers out there, it's among the most versatile, even to the point where it dresses up really well on nice black a strap.

So which would you go with? Anyone have experience with both? Would love to hear everyone's input.
    Last edited by mcon22; November 16th, 2009 at 04:44.

Re: Advise, please: Speedy Pro vs. Ball Engineer Master II Diver

It pains me to say it, but go with the Speedy. It sounds like that is THE watch for you and you will long for it if you do not get it. Yes, $800 is a lot more, but in WIS world it could be a lot worse!
    I would have to disagree with you on the Ball (I am a fan), the EM II is not nearly as versatile as many other divers out there. I actually find it the opposite, not very versatile. I was set to pull the trigger on one a while back until I tried it on. It left me very underwhelmed. I was shocked, loved it in the pics.
    Best of luck, post pics.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

I do not think EM II is as versatile as Speedy Moon. However, it DOES have one advantage - Date (it also has Day, but not many people seem to think it as being important, for me, day + Date is important feature IF I am comparing between 2 watches that I like both).

So, IF all your current watches have date, then you may feel VERY inconvenienced NOT to have date feature on your watch.

If you can live without having date on your watch, then Speedy is probably more versatile watch with good history.

Unless you plan to flip your watch VERY soon, do not really consider price difference too much as money difference now may not be important in let's say 10 years from now. But if you buy Ball JUST because it was cheaper than the Speedy but if Speedy was what you REALLY wanted, you will regret it and eventually you will end up getting Speedy and you would have spent MORE money for it. :)
    Chronic flipper...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You're correct that there's "no match in terms of history and timeliness" between the 2.
    The Omega creams the Ball in that regard.
    Actually it creams the Ball in any comparison except water resistance.
    I'd get the one I liked better.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Never make any watch comparisons to Omega on this forum. No offense guys, but Omega gets a little too much love around here.
    “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.” -Abraham Lincoln

stuffler,mike

I´d go for the Speedy in a heartbeat.

I'm not too fond of the big tritium capsules and the way they form the numbers on the face of the Ball, it looks clumsy to me. And the Speedy is an icon for sure, so would definitely go with that.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Ugh... I never thought I'd say this. Go with the Omega. If it has been a grail for you, then you should do it. Personally, I would chose the Ball. But that's me. If you have been wanting the Speedy Pro then you should choose it. And the good thing about getting your grail is it opens a space for the next one. Best of luck.

I have the Speedy Pro and though I haven't had the Ball Master Diver, I have had the Ball Mad Cow, which I really enjoyed. Ball makes a great watch. Mine was a lot heavier than the Speedy, which wasn't a plus. Not sure what the weight of the Diver is. I love the chrono function of the Speedy and use it quite a bit for timing food, etc. Sounds like you're leaning toward the Speedy.
    • Rolex GMT II
    • Sinn U1
    • Hamilton Twilight
    • Nixon Murf
    • Astbury Double Retrograde
    • Orient Sub
    • Alpha Sub
    • G-Shock GW-300
    • Crappy Croton with Merv Griffin Crosswords dial, which was my "parting prize" for competing on that TV gameshow

Quote Originally Posted by cthulhu7 View Post
    Ugh... I never thought I'd say this. Best of luck.
    I know how you feel.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information