Affordable 'gold' watch

Thread: Affordable 'gold' watch

Affordable 'gold' watch

Hello,

I was wondering of you guys could give me some models/brands of 'gold' watches that are payable (around 400 eur / 500 usd).

I know that for that price I will not get the best quality, that is why i wanted to know the best models/brands of gold watches around that price range.

At the moment, I'm thinking of buying the Michael Kors Navy Blue Everest Chronograph (MK8267). Does anyone have experience with this model?

What about the quality of the 'gold'? Are there better alternatives in a similar price range?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards.

Re: Affordable 'gold' watch

That MK is gold-tone stainless steel.. it's a bit tacky for a man to wear a false gold watch. Also I don't believe that specific model has a working chronograph, so it's trying to be something that it is not.

In your search you may want to look at gold-plated watches instead. Gold-plated watches do not have longevity as the gold will wear off over time, but they can certainly be found within budget. I would suggest checking in the Affordables Forum.

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto

Last edited by portauto; December 26th, 2012 at 19:48.
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

Do you mean solid gold or gold plate?

Solid gold, would be a low end brand and pre owned.

Gold plate, would be almost any brand you like in that price range. But gold plating eventually wears off and the watch would then be throw away.

Good luck.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When you ask about the gold quality I don't understand what you are askng for. If the watch is 10k, 14k or 18k then it will be made of a gold alloy containing some % of gold. Otherwise it will be made of a base metal plated with gold of thickness from a few microns on up. If you are looking fir the gold color style but don't want an alloy watch at current gold prices then plated is the way to go. And no one will care enough to take the time to figure out the gold content of your watch. Beside you of course.

Banned

if you go base metal + gold tone, then go PVD not plating. i had a movado gold pvd and i used it for maybe 6 years without fading, including desk diving marks.

I honestly don't think I'd go for a 'gold' watch in that price range. As others have said you'll either get something gold tone that could look quite tacky, or you will get something plated that may show signs of wearing out after a relatively short period of time (depending on your own personal wear of the watch of course). I think I'd be more inclined to look for a used vintage solid piece if I really wanted a gold watch.

Thread Information