Affordable Gold Watches? 🤔
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Affordable Gold Watches? 🤔

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Affordable Gold Watches? 🤔

Hey WUSers. I want to add a bit of gold to my collection, but cant find anything I love at the price I'm considering (<$1000 usd). Any recommendations? Not really into vintage. Could be a dress piece or a fun, sporty piece. Also, between 38-42mm preferred.

For my price range, I doubt I'll get real gold, so I'll be having to settle for gold-toned pvd or the like. As such, is there any reason I should push to the high end of my budget, or just stick with something fun and affordable?

All thought welcome!

Re: Affordable Gold Watches? &#x1f914;

Just no. Don't do it.
    parman and JohnnyKarate like this.

Cmon! Only way to find out if I will like it is to try it!
    slcbbrown likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would suggest vintage. I realize you already excluded vintage,.but I would still suggest solid gold vintage for under $1,000 USD.

I don't think a gold toned one will satisfy your urge to add gold to your collection

Quote Originally Posted by texag03 View Post
    <snip>
    I want to add a bit of gold to my collection, but cant find anything I love at the price I'm considering (<$1000 usd). Any recommendations? Not really into vintage. Could be a dress piece or a fun, sporty piece. Also, between 38-42mm preferred.

For my price range, I doubt I'll get real gold, so I'll be having to settle for gold-toned pvd or the like. As such, is there any reason I should push to the high end of my budget, or just stick with something fun and affordable?

All thought welcome!
    I never thought I would see the words "affordable" and "gold" in the same sentence. Doubt that you will ever find a new or newish piece for under your USD1000 budget as most gold watches are upwards of USD8000.

As @tsbphd has suggested, vintage is the only way to get a gold watch within your budget. Even then, it will be pretty beat up at that price.

How about tinted stainless steel case like this? https://www.chrono24.com.au/seiko/pr...id11557143.htm

Price of gold plus markup will keep the price of new well beyond your budget. One way to control the price is to look for 14k rather than 18k. And the other is to look for 1950's to 1960's simple dress watches from Hamilton, Bulova, and Longines. There is something special about the look and heft of a gold watch on the wrist.
    slcbbrown likes this.

In that price range (even way less) you're looking at gold plated. Just so you know eventually the gold plating will wear off and it will look hideous. Even one deep scratch will do it. It's you're money though.

Check Ebay, you might get lucky and find a 33mm 18k watch head from the 70's.
    slcbbrown and Gary123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by texag03 View Post
    Hey WUSers. I want to add a bit of gold to my collection, but cant find anything I love at the price I'm considering (<$1000 usd). Any recommendations? Not really into vintage. Could be a dress piece or a fun, sporty piece. Also, between 38-42mm preferred.

All thought welcome!
    All but 1 of my core collection of watches are are solid gold. I can tell you, you do not want to cheap out in this front. PVD looks like a spray tan, and plating is very unreliable.

Plated/rolled gold vintage are ok. It was thicker then, and compliments some interesting pieces.

I'd really recommend saving up if you are not into vintage. It's very hard to find something modern in real gold under $3500.

Some white gold models go for a little less. This Ralph Lauren Slim Classique 867 has been floating in my watch list on ebay just under $3400 OBO. Probably could snag it for $3K. Feel free to snipe it. It is a well thought of model on the forums (Piaget 430 slim movement).

Name:  Ralph-Lauren-867.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  271.2 KB
    slcbbrown likes this.
    Core Collection:
    H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information