Affordable mechanical watch comparison: Seiko SARB035 vs. Tissot Visodate?
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Affordable mechanical watch comparison: Seiko SARB035 vs. Tissot Visodate?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Affordable mechanical watch comparison: Seiko SARB035 vs. Tissot Visodate?

All,

[I'm new to WUS, so forgive me if I've posted this question in the wrong forum...]

Anyway, I'm looking to purchase an affordable (<$600) mechanical watch.

Based on personal preference, I've narrowed the field down to the Seiko SARB035 and the Tissot Visodate

Here are the reviews on WUS:

Tissot Visodate: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/tis...ew-459020.html
    Seiko SARB035: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/sei...es-285906.html

Aesthetically, I love them both. I don't have a preference for either brand. Price-wise, they're very close.

So, I'd like to know more about the movement.

I've read that the Tissot uses an ETA 2836-2. I don't know about the Seiko.

Can anyone provide their thoughts on which is "better?" (Higher quality? More reliable/accurate, etc?)

Also - since I'd be buying the Seiko from Japan (sight unseen) - can anyone share their thoughts on whether either watch has a higher build quality?

Many thanks in advance for your advice and insight!

v76

Re: Affordable mechanical watch comparison: Seiko SARB035 vs. Tissot Visodate?

Personally, I'd have preferred it if the Visodate was about 2mm smaller (especially given the ETA2836 movement size), the day/date position just looks a bit "off" to me. I'd choose the SARB035 every day of the week and the weekends!
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

v76 - Many thanks for your reply! I too wish the Visodate were just a little smaller. Is that the main reason you prefer the Seiko, or are there other reasons as well?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

It's mainly the size, I do like the Visodate design. It's pretty much a dead-heat when it comes to the movement - the ETA2824-2 versus Seiko's cal. 6R20, both are reliable, accurate and sturdy movements.

I think Seiko has done a great job with the design of the SARB035.

Quote Originally Posted by stuehler View Post
    v76 - Many thanks for your reply! I too wish the Visodate were just a little smaller. Is that the main reason you prefer the Seiko, or are there other reasons as well?
    Collection:

The 6r15 movement in the SARB is great. I have the same in my Sumo and it runs consistently +2 per day and is two years old. I also have a Visodate that I really enjoy as well. The biggest difference for me is the beats per second. You get 8 per second on the Tissot and 6 on the SARB so the sweeping second hand is a bit smoother on the Tissot. Thats the biggest mechanical difference worth noting probably. You can't go wrong with either though so choose the one that really fits your style. Both are beauties.
    stuehler likes this.
    "When as a child I laughed and wept, time crept. When as a youth I waxed more bold, time strolled. When I became a full-grown man, time RAN. When older still I daily grew, time FLEW. Soon I shall find, in passing on, time gone. O Christ! wilt Thou have saved me then? Amen." - Henry Twells

Seiko Tuna SBBN035 | Tag Heuer Professional 2000 | Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2110

v76 - I'm looking at the http://www.seiyajapan.com site (where I'd probably buy the Seiko from), and it lists the movement as a "6R15". Is that the same as the "6R20", or has Seiko changed the movement, or is Seiya's info wrong/out of date?

Thanks again!

Thanks Boone - that's a great bit of information. Much appreciated!

v76 - I'm looking at the http://www.seiyajapan.com site (where I'd probably buy the Seiko from), and it lists the movement as a "6R15". Is that the same as the "6R20", or has Seiko changed the movement, or is Seiya's info wrong/out of date?

Thanks again!
    The 6R20 and the 6R15 are both part of the 6R caliber. The SARB035 has the 6R15. The 6R calibers are a step up from the 7S calibers found in Seiko 5s. They add hacking, hand-winding, a longer power reserve, and are likely better regulated. As Boone mentioned, the most noticeable difference between the ETA and the 6R is that the 6R beats a little slower so the second hand doesn't move as smoothly. The date also changes a little slower on the 6R.

The 6R has some advantages to the ETA, however. It has a slightly longer power reserve (38hr versus 50hrs, I believe). It's also better finished than the ETA/Selitta in my Oris Classic. On my Oris, the movement essentially unfinished with the exception of the rotor. The 6R15 has polished edges on the bridges and hairline shading on the main surfaces. The rotor has Geneve striping and is partially skeletonized. Overall, the 6R is better looking. Finally, the 6R is entirely in house, which may or may not give you a warm feeling inside.
    stuehler likes this.

v76

My bad, it should have been a cal. 6R15, not a cal. 6R20 as typed earlier.

Thanks again!
    Collection:

v76

The 6R15 is a 23 jewel selfwind/automatic movement with seconds hack and is handwindable. It beats at 21,600bph (or 3Hz).

The ETA2824-2 is a 25 jewel selfwind/automatic movement with seconds hack and is handwindable too. It beats at 28,800bph (or 4Hz).

As mentioned by others, the seconds hand motion will appear smoother in an ETA2824-2 powered movement because of the higher beat rate. Anecdotally, I would say however that the 6R15 is just as accurate as the ETA2824-2, and there's very little to choose between them in that regard. Since the 6R movements have a similar construction to the 7S series of movements, they should be just as rugged/indestructible. The "magic lever" winding system also carries on from the 7S and is a very efficient/effective system to convert wrist motion to power stored in the mainspring of the movement (as good as IWC's Pellaton, by most accounts).

And since the Seiko 6R15 is a fine inhouse movement, I like that aspect as well (it could be argued that the ETA is inhouse for Tissot ).
    reef58 and stuehler like this.
    Collection:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information