Airport Security?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Airport Security?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Airport Security?

I will be travelling to the Philippines next month which means passing through 3 sets of airport security. Departure, stop-over and arrival. I intend to take 2 of my vintage pocket watches with me as I will be away a couple of months, and I use a pocket watch every day. I am concerned that the x-ray equipment may magnetize my watches. Both watches were bought from e-bay and both watches were magnetized when sent to me causing them to gain rapid time. I know that they were not magnetized prior to being sent, so that means that it occurred in transit. I have had both watches demagnetized, but am wondering if any members know of a way to prevent this happening again? should I pack in checked luggage rather than carry-on? Any advice would be greatly received. or am I worrying unnecessarily?
    Thanks

Re: Airport Security?

Never heard of watches being magnetized by X-ray.....Luggage gets lost and stolen.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

My local watch repairer, who demagnetized them for me, told me that x-rays use 'electromagnetic radiation', and that was the possible cause? I have to admit, it was news to me also.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie10 View Post
    My local watch repairer, who demagnetized them for me, told me that x-rays use 'electromagnetic radiation', and that was the possible cause? I have to admit, it was news to me also.
    No...Radium....Is a different device,MRI......Two diff. things.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Magnetizing was never a concern traveling for me I was MUCH more concerned about the TSA attempting to get a 5 finger discount on a Rolex. My wife and I vacation twice a year and travel with about 30k in watches/jewelry and let me tell you it is nerve wracking carrying that on in a jewelry roll and sending it through that x ray thing for carry ons. We work it out so she goes through first and then I send it through so it isn't around anyone unsupervised.
    Donf and drdas007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie10 View Post
    The electromagnetic spectrum extends from low frequency radio waves, up through the Visible Light wavelengths, and continues up past X-rays and Gamma rays. With that in mind, we are continually exposed to some part of the electromagnetic spectrum!

I would agree with inhaus that watching as they pass through the inspection process to avoid theft would be of more concern.
    Last edited by time-man; January 28th, 2015 at 17:20.
    Donf likes this.

Ok, thanks for the replies. So it would appear there is no risk of magnetism from the x-ray security check. I therefor wonder what caused both of my pocket watches to become magnetized in transit?

Others might know more, but is there a difference between the x ray and the new body scanners?

I fly frequently and have run watches through both ways without issue. I prefer to keep them on my wrist but some agents are 'picky'.

God knows what your watches were subjected to in the mail - they may even have been placed next to a large magnet for days in a mailing warehouse. And since they were bought off ebay............well, there have been one or two instances of sellers being less than 100% truthfull as well.

I never travel with more than one watch and my wife never takes more jewelry than she can wear. Things DO disappear from checked luggage. But the one time we broke that rule we did as inhaus did with her through first and I waited until she was at the other end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Should be no issues. I only keep it to a G-Shock when I travel just in case. Good luck.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information