All Things Bronze and Brass
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: All Things Bronze and Brass

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I have recently been a little crazy about bronze and brass watches. The robust design, durability, uniqueness is all super appealing. The initial shine and the aged, antique, vintage look after some time are totally unique to only these materials. Seems like it isn’t a super popular topic, but I have found some good reviews.

I’d like to get a good discussion going on bronze and brass watches. Brands like Nethuns, Pontvs, Boldr, Steinhart, Zelos, etc. I’d like to purchase one and want somebody input.

Thanks and look forward to your opinions!

Re: All Things Bronze and Brass

Not sure what kind of responses you are looking for, though I imagine this is going to rather quickly turn into a "you show me yours, I'll show you mine" thread. I have owned several bronze, including four or five Anonimo, a few Gruppo Gamma, Marenez, a couple of TC-9s, as well as two brass, both Carpenters. All showed patina, which I liked, and all could have been polished to shiny like-new appearance if desired. All of these had casebacks of steel, titanium, etc., none with bronze or brass, so no skin irritation issues for any. Beyond that, they are just like any other watch in terms of movements, crystals and so forth. And, if you are looking for pictures, say so. I've got a bunch, and I am sure others do as well. These are my current two--one, a brass Carpenter, the other, a bronze TC-9.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Evant Tropic diver.

Now if anyone can help me get hold of an 18mm bronze buckle. (for less than $60) I want to put it on a rubber strap for swimming.

Name:  Evant Tropic Bronze-1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  340.4 KB
    Name:  Evant Tropic Bronze-6.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  776.8 KB
    And the collection, (Ok She's right- that's a lot of watches. *put eye-roll here*)
    -1971 Timex Marlin, green dial (reborn!), 1970's Timex Auto, 1974 Hamilton Accumatic ORANGE DIAL!
    -Dad's 1953 Bulova President, 1963 gold Accutron, and Grandpa's 1970 Caravelle machinist's watch

--E-One Bradley, --Evant Tropic Diver, bronze & green, --Urban Chronograph, —Seiko SNK's green & red,—Seiko Alpinist, —Bertucci A-2T (white), —Certina C-Sport Chrono, orange , —Timex 2002 Reefgear, —Omega Dynamic III (circa 2001), —Hamilton Pan Europe, blue, -- Monta Triumph, green dial.

-1972 Hamilton Pan Europe, -1971 Accutron 219,—Seiko H557 square digital-analog (mine, new in 1984),
    -80's Seiko 6F22 Moonphase, - -70's Timex Electric, —Vostok Signal watch (w/ alarm), -80's Komandirskie (Type 33) -1990 Komandirskie (Type 34) (4 of same!), -Victorinox 1980, —HMT Janata, -1912 Concord Travel Clock/watch (w/engraved dial)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Refer to this 581 page thread for ample discussion on the subject: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/my...n-1535490.html
    yankeexpress and dbostedo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaJohnboy View Post
    Now if anyone can help me get hold of an 18mm bronze buckle. (for less than $60) I want to put it on a rubber strap for swimming.
    I got one like this on the bay for $20 (which included shipping--solid bronze except for the screw).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by timefleas; September 15th, 2018 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Mscoggin2 View Post
    I have recently been a little crazy about bronze and brass watches. The robust design, durability, uniqueness is all super appealing. The initial shine and the aged, antique, vintage look after some time are totally unique to only these materials. Seems like it isn’t a super popular topic, but I have found some good reviews.

I’d like to get a good discussion going on bronze and brass watches. Brands like Nethuns, Pontvs, Boldr, Steinhart, Zelos, etc. I’d like to purchase one and want somebody input.

Welcome to Watchuseek. Bronze and more recently brass watches have attracted several owners here. There have been quite a few threads on brand choice, patination, etc. I encourage you to use search and read through through them. Lots of useful information to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Mscoggin2 View Post

Welcome to the forum!

When it comes to brass and bronze in watch cases, we should first of clarify that we are not talking about two materials here, but three. All copper alloys with >60% copper are called bronze, except when it's an alloy of copper and zinc, then it's brass. From a metallurgic point of view, it makes no sense to single out brass here, it was just a historic development that made one copper alloy be brass, but the rest are all bronze.

In watch cases, three copper alloys are used:

- brass = copper + zinc,
    - bronze = copper + tin (CuSn6, CuSn8),
    - aluminum bronze = copper + aluminum.

All three have different properties and age differently. In this picture you can see them all together: the Prometheus Poseidon is bronze (the tin type, reddish/brown), the dark golden Maranez Layan is brass and that thing in the background is a small ship's propeller made from aluminum bronze. E.g. Steinhart uses aluminum bronze for their cases, that's why they look more golden than reddish/brown. But in contrast to brass, it gets rather grey over time, and only very slowly. Even some years in saltwater did not have much an effect on that propeller..

Name:  180915_bbb2.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  137.8 KB
    Dinky1, Level.5x and X2-Elijah like this.

I had a Helson stingray. Beautiful watch, but you know how it goes. Sold it to buy something else. Also, it was too big.

1 annoying detail about the watch was the green stains it would leave on my wrist if I sweat at all.

That aside, I’ve been thinking of picking up a new bronzo just for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobMc; September 15th, 2018 at 18:30.

If you’re a bit unsure about bronze watches get something like the Steinhart Ocean 1 bronze as it won’t break the bank.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information