all-time stupid watch design - your bad ideas needed!

Thread: all-time stupid watch design - your bad ideas needed!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

all-time stupid watch design - your bad ideas needed!

i once worked in an office in Ghana where some nitwit had installed a striplight above a ceiling fan, creating a permanent stobe effect (tough on me, hell on epileptics). okay, this is hypothetical. let us suppose that one was compelled (say, for tax reasons or insanity) to lose a fortune and he decided to design, make and market a moderately expensive watch guaranteed to put him out of business.

what elements would go into the world's stupidest upmarket-ish watch? what name would it have? what watchworks inside? what size and weight? of what material would the case be made? what ridiculous or useless complications? what design features? what marketing niche? what aspects might it borrow from existing watches (even if they are otherwise half-decent products)? what would the dial and face look like? here is our chance, folks, to strike an horological blow in favour of sheer idiocy.

Banned

Re: all-time stupid watch design - your bad ideas needed!

Quote Originally Posted by turban1 View Post
    i once worked in an office in Ghana where some nitwit had installed a striplight above a ceiling fan, creating a permanent stobe effect (tough on me, hell on epileptics). okay, this is hypothetical. let us suppose that one was compelled (say, for tax reasons or insanity) to lose a fortune and he decided to design, make and market a moderately expensive watch guaranteed to put him out of business.

what elements would go into the world's stupidest upmarket-ish watch? what name would it have? what watchworks inside? what size and weight? of what material would the case be made? what ridiculous or useless complications? what design features? what marketing niche? what aspects might it borrow from existing watches (even if they are otherwise half-decent products)? what would the dial and face look like? here is our chance, folks, to strike an horological blow in favour of sheer idiocy.
    Great idea for a thread! I'll have to abstain from posting, or it will be locked again. I'm very interested what people will come up with. Let the idiocy rule!

No need to come up with my own bad idea -- Hamilton did it for me. Their Below Zero chronograph has no way to measure elapsed minutes.

See this article: Experience With the Hamilton Khaki Below Zero Chronograph Watch Reveals A Fatal Flaw

Now, Swatch makes some truly great watches... who's brother-in-law was the project manager here, and when did the QC team quit?
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current. - Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Alot of Fashion/designer watches come to mind, they look like something out of dick tracey...

66 mm diameter, Diamond, ruby, emerald and Topaz hour markers, It will weigh in at 1/4 pound. The bracelet will incorporate metal, leather, rubber, kevlar and carbon fiber just to have something that appeals to everyone, Complications include a compass, mirror, chronograph,a tourbillon...that isnt connected to anything and has a separate spring...but get this its on the clasp of the bracelet, it has an analog mechanical calculator that can do multiplication and division, a telegraph device so you can hook up your watch with another one and Chat via morse code, It will come with an integrated dial changer and at least 7 dial inserts, kind of like a juke box, The movement is a fully skeletonized valjoux 7750 but all the removed metal will be replaced with wooden inserts taken from stratovarius violins. The clasp also has a hole punching device which can perforate up to 10 sheets of paper at a time. The case also has a toothpick which can be converted to a dart with the addition of 2 little wings stored underneath the dial.

The cost will be $88.00 plus $27.00 shipping and handling for the stainless steel version, and $278,004 for the rosegold pvd version
    Last edited by Tictocdoc; December 3rd, 2010 at 17:51.

I want one!

There's one watch (I forget which) that has a retrograde month dial, so you can have the fun of watching it snap back once a year. Why stop there? A Haley's Comet retrograde that snaps back once every 86 years would be even more fun.
    Praise without end for the go ahead zeal
    Of whoever it was invented the wheel;
    But never a word for the poor soul's sake
    That thought ahead, and invented the brake

Quote Originally Posted by turban1 View Post

A 55mm wide 17mm tall Panerai style made of solid tungsten carbide, coated with ceramic having a depth rating of 3,000 meters housing a 60 jewel handwind chinese movement and having a snap crown and snap display back. The dial would be brilliant purple with large tritium tube numerals and would have second, minute, hour, day, date, month and year retrograde displays and the hands would be fat dauphine style .
    Last edited by John MS; December 3rd, 2010 at 18:41.

Haf

Make it look like an Invicta

I'm still waiting for a crazy hour watch with no numbers.

Would match a 168 hour watch marvellously. With that one you can tell the time with an accuracy of just about 12 hours or so. Awesome!

lol.
    the official canadian time: http://time5.nrc.ca/webclock_e.shtml

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information