Altanus, to keep or not to keep?

Thread: Altanus, to keep or not to keep?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Altanus, to keep or not to keep?

I just recently picked up this watch off used off of Amazon for $100. Upon inspection, there is a small chip in the crystal at 38-39 minute mark. The condition stated on Amazon said it was undamaged. Will this "chip" get larger over time. So, what should I do? Keep it or return it? Or is it worth replacing the crystal later down the road? Maybe with sapphire...

Are Altanus watches any good?

It is an Altanus 7911-04.
    Name:  IMAG0098.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  78.3 KB

Re: Altanus, to keep or not to keep?

I'd return it. Maybe it was dropped or hit on something really hard, you just don't know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    I'd return it. Maybe it was dropped or hit on something really hard, you just don't know.
    It seems to be mechanically sound and is keeping time. Do you have any opinions on Altanus as a brand?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by timecrisis View Post
    It seems to be mechanically sound and is keeping time. Do you have any opinions on Altanus as a brand?
    Never heard of it...Do a Google search.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Never heard of it but a crystal replacement is a cheap and easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did look it up on Amazon. Then Looked it up on the Altanus website. they make a surprising amount of watches, to my mind. I really didn't go into the fine details but my impressions are that the company is basically a far east company with roots still in Switzerland. (Despite the word "Geneve" on the dial they are not made in Switzerland as they once were - they are designed in Italy, and made, I believe, in the Far East. The watch has a Ronda 515 quartz movement and a mineral glass crystal. These are not the hall marks of an expensive watch but acceptable by all means. However, the carbon fiber dial and ceramic bezel are nice touches.

The question "Is it any good" is easily answered - yes.
    You didn't ask a follow up question, such as "Is it worth the $450 I paid for it?" is a harder one to answer. That's not a lot of money and you can probably get a good 5 years or more of use out of it. The crystal will eventually look scratched and you will have to decide if it's worth it to replace. On the other hand, it's a no-name quartz watch which hurts it's value. To my mind, it's at the high end of what it should sell for. Not bad looking, doesn't try to look exactly like a Sub so I'd rate it a toss up. If you like it keep it. If not there are lots of other quartz watches in that price range (or less).
    But if I kept it I'd still return it and get a non-chipped example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    You didn't ask a follow up question, such as "Is it worth the $450 I paid for it?" is a harder one to answer. That's not a lot of money and you can probably get a good 5 years or more of use out of it. The crystal will eventually look scratched and you will have to decide if it's worth it to replace. On the other hand, it's a no-name quartz watch which hurts it's value. To my mind, it's at the high end of what it should sell for. Not bad looking, doesn't try to look exactly like a Sub so I'd rate it a toss up. If you like it keep it. If not there are lots of other quartz watches in that price range (or less).
    But if I kept it I'd still return it and get a non-chipped example.
    Thanks for the response Donf. I only paid $100 for it as it was used and if I were to return it, I would not be able to get a replacement, only my money back. Hence why I was wonder if it was worth keeping for the amount I paid. When you say Far East, I presume China? I do like the look of the carbon fiber and the bezel is always nice and shiny. Seems like of dumb to me that they put mineral and ceramic on the same watch, when in my mind it should of been sapphire and ceramic. Then that $450 price point they ask would be justifiable.

Whats the typical cost to replace the mineral crystal with another mineral crystal?

$50 bucks (ish)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I suspect you may have difficulty replacing the crystal unless you bought it directly from the company. And you need to inquire if they will even sell you one. A close up picture of the chip might help.
    Last edited by Gary123; August 29th, 2014 at 22:51.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information