Alternative to Black Bay 41?
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Alternative to Black Bay 41?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Alternative to Black Bay 41?

I did a search to see if there was anything readily available regarding this query, but I didn't find anything directly applicable. Many threads focused on cheaper options, but that's not what I'm after.

I have been considering the Black Bay 41. I think it's a really beautiful watch and, most importantly, one I could stick with for a while. So far, it's the best option I've found for what excites me. There are a lot of things I like about it-bracelet, relationship to Rolex, applied metallic indices filled with lume, profile of the piece on wrist, overall sense of feeling *special*, etc. I generally don't like tachymeters or rotating bezels. The other watch that I quite like and is frequently compared to the BB41 is the Rolex Explorer 1. It shares most all of the characteristics I like about the BB41 and is almost perfect. There are two things that take it out of the running for me. One is the slightly smaller size (39mm). The other-and I'm being totally serious here, although it genuinely makes me laugh-is that the hour hand looks like a cartoon chicken head. I'm not trying to mock it, but that is truly what I see when I look at it and I can't unsee it. Anyhow-the Explorer 1 doesn't quite make the cut.

Although seemingly unrelated, another couple watches I've considered are the Fortis Aeromaster Steel Chronograph and the Bulova moonwatch. I find the Bulova really incredibly attractive looking, but it's probably never been a really serious consideration due to the quartz movement. Both have a similar raised indice/3D characteristic to their dials. I think this is pretty important to me, this feeling of depth, visual interest, maybe architecture or something...

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for alternates to the BB41 that I should consider that might share most/all of the characteristics I mentioned above. I'm not too concerned about price, which is why I disregarded many of the earlier threads.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    QuanDangle likes this.

Re: Alternative to Black Bay 41?

I have a BB41 on leather strap and it’s a very nice all-around watch. Also comes with a camo Nato strap quite nice...
    have you consider the milglauss?
    - Watches are made to be worn -

Current rotation:

FC ​Slimeline Moon 705X4S6
    JLC MCUT 174.8.90.S
    JLC Reverso Classic Large Q382842N
    ROLEX SD 16600
    ROLEX 16710 blro
    TUDOR Heritage BB41 79540

I am heavily considering the Tudor Black Bay 41 as my first luxury watch. I have yet to try it on in person though. It sounds like you're set on the BB41.
    QuanDangle likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For what you want I don't think there's anything else really; maybe the Brietling Superocean Heritage. Even then I'd prefer the BB

The only bit of advice I'd give you is try before you buy. I love the look of the BB; put it on my wrist and was left underwhelmed. I didn't like the wrist presence and the case edges felt sharp; it felt cheap. I've tried it on a couple of occassions and it's the same each time. There's one or two others who share this opinion but not too many people found it as an issue

What about the newly introduced Breitling Navitimer 8?

While it does have a rotating bezel, it is quite subtle and nicely integrated IMHO...and may be useful...

Breitling Navitimer 8 Automatic taken from the web...

Attachment 12878513

Banned

For anybody else who was trying to conjure up a mental image of a Mercedes hour hand and how it looks like a chicken. He’s not wrong.

Try it on. If you don't think it's too big, just get it. Great watch. If it does feel too big (for me it is, 6.25" wrists), Oris Diver 65 40mm Movember.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about a Rolex Explorer II
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

Quote Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
    ...Both have a similar raised indice/3D characteristic to their dials. I think this is pretty important to me, this feeling of depth, visual interest, maybe architecture or something...

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for alternates to the BB41 that I should consider that might share most/all of the characteristics I mentioned above. I'm not too concerned about price, which is why I disregarded many of the earlier threads.
    We are opposites, I really dislike applied indices, especially those that give a 3d dimension to the dial. Having said that, you might take a look at the Omega Planet Ocean, the 42mm is similar in size to the BB and the dial seems to be one you might like.

(not my watches or photos)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information