Alternatives to Lange 1 / GO PanoMaticLunar in terms of dial aesthetics
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Alternatives to Lange 1 / GO PanoMaticLunar in terms of dial aesthetics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alternatives to Lange 1 / GO PanoMaticLunar in terms of dial aesthetics

Greetings one and all,

As a long-time admirer of German brands, I've always been drawn to the Lange 1 and, even more so, to GO's PanoMaticLunar design. I'm not really sure I'd feel comfortable stretching as far as purchasing a GO right now, so I've been debating numerous other brands, models, complications instead - I'm pretty sure you all know how the story goes. However, I always seem to return to the PanoMaticLunar which, at least to me, is the epitome of horological work of art. My search has so far left with me a very limited range of "similar" watches - and by "similar", I mean first and foremost models with a clean and offset look; no Roman numerals.

• Tissot Couturier Small Seconds. Not really my favourite brand, but the face on the Couturier does look pretty neat. ETA movement is nothing to write home about, but then again the watch costs a fraction of the price of GO / AL&S.
    • Hamilton Jazzmaster Regulator. I find the dial on the "Swiss American" a tad too cluttered, and the case is definitely on the bulkier side. The only variation of the Jazzmaster I could actually see myself wearing is the black dial.

• Pequignet Equus Regulateur. Telling the time on this one would certainly take some getting used to, but I find the movement (in-house slash Seiko) from a relatively obscure manufacturer really intriguing. The whole watch seems to be put together rather well - the huge downside here is the limited network of Pequignet dealers and the questions that raises with regard to servicing.

I will certainly try and squeeze in a visit to a Pequignet dealer next time I travel - but until that, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on other watches that look similar to the above and are not priced beyond the Glashutte Original range.
    Last edited by MetroiD; July 8th, 2016 at 11:02.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Alternatives to Lange 1 / GO PanoMaticLunar in terms of dial aesthetics

UNION Glashütte 1893 Große Sekunde

Name:  D007.444.16.053.00.png
Views: 865
Size:  194.5 KB

Name:  D007.444.16.013.00.png
Views: 846
Size:  175.2 KB

Made in Glashütte with a swiss made swiss heart (made exclusively for UNION).
    BigSeikoFan and vkalia like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Saw this Rado in another thread recently. Looks nice, but is 43mm I think ... you'd need a large wrist.

Name:  rado_diamaster_men.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  47.9 KB
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 828
Size:  62.0 KB

Modern interpretation, but I think it looks better. I think these are quite large though. Never tried them on but they look great in pictures.
    Last edited by Tomatoes11; July 8th, 2016 at 16:36.
    rockroyalty likes this.

I have a GO PanomaticReserve and I think that Hamilton Regulator is beautiful. It's the only one in this thread so far I would consider owning. The only downside is there is no date.
    MetroiD likes this.

TLN

It's quite hard match ASL/GO in terms of aesthetics. Even differences are minor, ALS looks 10x times better.

Thank you all for your kind feedback! Of course, I'm in no way suggesting one could possibly buy the looks of a GO or ASL for 300 USD (which, coincidentally, is how much a Couturier currently costs at JomaShop - practically a steal; if only I liked that watch a bit more...). I'm just wondering how much choice one would have in terms of similar designs at lower price levels.

The Unions, while nice (and German), are not really my kettle of fish - I find this particular font combination between Roman hours + Arabic minutes + fat date a bit presumptuous. I scoured through Muehle and Junghans' collections but at the moment they don't really have anything that ticks the box completely. I also had a look at some Shorokhoff pieces that bear some resemblance to the ALS / GO layout but... suffice it to say, that's not my brand.

The Rado is indeed a looker but I prefer to steer away from xxl-sized dials for a number of reasons. The ML Pontos Decentrique is a wonderful find - and thanks a lot for pointing that out, I'll make sure to stop by and see if I can find one at the local dealers.
    Last edited by MetroiD; July 8th, 2016 at 18:16.

It is roman hours and arabic seconds btw.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for the clarification mike - of course, that's what I meant.

I just wanted to add another gorgeous German alternative to the above list - the blu Terzett:

Unfortunately, very hard to come by seeing as the Bernhard Lederer Universe of timepieces is as micro as they get.
    Zama likes this.

Not a real alternative imho since this is a regulateur, a different complication though. Anyway, thanks for posting.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information