Am i being lied to?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Am i being lied to?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Am i being lied to?

Hello all

I'm in the market for a Seiko 6139. I've been keeping tabs on ebay and found one that looks to be in good condition and for a inexpensive price. Upon closer inspection the dial reads "Japan 7T32" and has the tiny Seiko symbol in the wrong spot (not above the min counter as seen on other similar watches).

I questioned the seller and asked if the dial had been replaced and why it said 7T32 and not 6139, and received the following response:
    HELLO SIR, THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST AND IT IS DIAL PAINTING DESIGN AND COLOUR CODE AND IT IS ORIGINAL DIAL AND I WAS PURCHASE AS IS AND SELL AS IS BUT IT IS BEAUTIFUL WITH EXCELLENT CONDITION WATCH.
    SIR, I ALWAYS USE DHL COURIER SERVICE SAFE AND FAST AND DELIVERY TIME ONLY 3 TO 5 WORKING DAYS.
    BEST REGARDS

Here is the currently active listing: Beautiful Seiko Chronograph Automatic Vintage Japan Watch 6139 6002 Fre SHIP DHL | eBay

I don't believe his/her explanation, but thought I should check here first because i'm fairly new at this.

Also, I've seen the Buyers Guide for the 6139-60xx models, is there a similar guide for the 6139-70xx models?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Current Collection: Vulcain 70's day/date automatic | Hamilton 70's handwind | Seiko SKX009J | Seiko SBDC029 | Seiko SARB017 | Seiko SCVF017 | Citizen NY0040 | Wenger 096.0659 quartz | Wenger TerraGraph auto | Boldr Venture | Eddie Bauer (Timex) v8vo51 | Sturmanskie 3133/1981260 | ​Okeah 3133 | Pulsar Chrono. | Casio Edifice EQWM1100DC-1A2 | Casio AD-520 | Casio GWX5600 | Pulsar field quartz | Heuer Trackmaster 8032

Inactive

Re: Am i being lied to?

Quote Originally Posted by soulbazz View Post
    Upon closer inspection the dial reads "Japan 7T32" and has the tiny Seiko symbol in the wrong spot (not above the min counter as seen on other similar watches).
    7T32 is a seiko movement/caliber number:

http://www.seikousa.com/support/ib/pdf/SEIKO_7T32.pdf

OK, so Seiko puts the movement number on the dial, not the color code (and if I recall correctly, that's a quartz movement). This guy is certainly lying to you. Also, somewhere on WUS, there is a link to the catalog for all the 6139's ever made -- along with their color combos. I don't think this dial configuration was ever offered, but I could be wrong. You may have to do some searching, but its somewhere here on WUS. Or hang tight, someone will chime in. Anyway, this looks like a Frakenseiko, which means original movement (probably running, but not keeping decent time, bone dry with no oil, and in desperate need of a service), aftermarket dial, most certainly a re-lume of the hands (if they're original and if thats a real pic anyway) and probably a heavily polished/buffed/brushed case. Also, I see no gasket in that pic with the case back off...and there's an awful lot of pitting close to where the case back screws into the case. I would walk away from this one man.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by watchma View Post
    7T32 is a seiko movement/caliber number:

http://www.seikousa.com/support/ib/pdf/SEIKO_7T32.pdf
    Yes, I know that Seiko makes a 7T32 which I believe is a quartz movement. This is a 6139 movement as seen in the picture with the case back off. This is why I'm suspicious of the dial being original.
    Current Collection: Vulcain 70's day/date automatic | Hamilton 70's handwind | Seiko SKX009J | Seiko SBDC029 | Seiko SARB017 | Seiko SCVF017 | Citizen NY0040 | Wenger 096.0659 quartz | Wenger TerraGraph auto | Boldr Venture | Eddie Bauer (Timex) v8vo51 | Sturmanskie 3133/1981260 | ​Okeah 3133 | Pulsar Chrono. | Casio Edifice EQWM1100DC-1A2 | Casio AD-520 | Casio GWX5600 | Pulsar field quartz | Heuer Trackmaster 8032

So, you know what 7T32 means, you know that it doesn't belong there, and you know that the seller is giving you bad information about it. What exactly are you asking us about, then?
    ShaggyDog likes this.

the hands look painted over and the sweeping hand of the chrono in red is BADLY painted over, even if it's inexpensive not worth the money on a watch you have been truly looking to acquire for quite some time.

My advice, look some other way :)

Inactive

Yes, I know that Seiko makes a 7T32 which I believe is a quartz movement. This is a 6139 movement as seen in the picture with the case back off. This is why I'm suspicious of the dial being original.

Ah just saw the main ad picture , didn't see the pics shown lower down in the listing

INTERNATIONAL BUYERS PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR PHONE NUMBERS FOR PROMPT AND QUICK DELIVERY.
    OH, great you get spam calls after the sale for internet providings

Attachment 970424
    Last edited by watchma; February 13th, 2013 at 00:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    So, you know what 7T32 means, you know that it doesn't belong there, and you know that the seller is giving you bad information about it. What exactly are you asking us about, then?
    Well I don't know everything, so I thought I would ask here; as I said I'm still new at this and hoping to learn more. If anything, hopefully I have flagged a shady seller.

Well, I'd say you've got enough info to make the call. I say walk away, but if you buy it and aren't happy with it, don't say we didn't warn you, lol.

Oh and real 6139's in decent shape usually go for quite a bit more than 159 dollars, so that's another red flag...
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Quote Originally Posted by watchma View Post
    OH, great you get spam calls after the sale for internet providings
    Haha I didn't notice that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information