Am I doing this wrong?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Am I doing this wrong?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Am I doing this wrong?

Some of you may have seen my posts, my biggest issue with most watches are with me being a big dude and needing ~45-50mm cases and large bands.

I LOVE fleiger style pilots watches, and I know there arent a lot over 45mm (I own 2 so far, so no worries there). My issue is that the straps NEVER fit, at least not stock ones.

Most bracelets do, or come real close, but a bracelet on a sterile pilot watch is, kinda like brown shoes with navy pants, ya know?

So, with all that said: is it wrong that I want to buy brand new watches and rip off the strap once I get it and spend more money on custom ones?

IE: buy a new watch at retail, then pay more on top just to make it fit?

So far, Ive only wanted to do this with watches Ive gotten second hand so Im not murdering my wallet right now, but I see it happening. For instance, the Citizen Avion is a watch I REALLY want, but its going to need a new strap before I ever get to wear it. Actually, I havent even worn the ones I have currently because I dont yet have straps for them.

I understand that if you have a watch for a while, you have extra straps so that you can change the look, its like a new belt. But does anyone else buy watches and just ditch the strap day 1?

Re: Am I doing this wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    Some of you may have seen my posts, my biggest issue with most watches are with me being a big dude and needing ~45-50mm cases and large bands.

I LOVE fleiger style pilots watches, and I know there arent a lot over 45mm (I own 2 so far, so no worries there). My issue is that the straps NEVER fit, at least not stock ones.

Most bracelets do, or come real close, but a bracelet on a sterile pilot watch is, kinda like brown shoes with navy pants, ya know?

So, with all that said: is it wrong that I want to buy brand new watches and rip off the strap once I get it and spend more money on custom ones?

IE: buy a new watch at retail, then pay more on top just to make it fit?

So far, Ive only wanted to do this with watches Ive gotten second hand so Im not murdering my wallet right now, but I see it happening. For instance, the Citizen Avion is a watch I REALLY want, but its going to need a new strap before I ever get to wear it. Actually, I havent even worn the ones I have currently because I dont yet have straps for them.

I understand that if you have a watch for a while, you have extra straps so that you can change the look, its like a new belt. But does anyone else buy watches and just ditch the strap day 1?
    I've only bought affordables so far, so the stock strap often never gets worn. Bracelets are often the worst offenders in this category.

Also, I often have the opposite issue to you: My skinny wrists leave a large tail of strap sticking out, or a bracelet will hang loose.

I don't have a sizing issue and instantly take off most every strap and bracelet every time a new piece comes in the door. I bill always get what my idea is of perfect for each watch, not some manufacturers relatively general attempt at appeasing a broader market to sell more watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

yes, I start ordering straps right after I buy a watch. Funny thing is a lot of them end up back on the stock strap.
    "Does anybody really know what time it is?
    Does anybody really care?"
    I do know the time...and I do care
    “The most thought-provoking thing in our thought-provoking time is that we are still not thinking.”

Martin Heidegger

where are you guys getting bracelets and straps from, reasonably?

No need to worry.. you should buy yourself several XL straps for keepers and just switch them up once a new watch arrives. Also, the new OEM strap of the new arrival can be sold on the FS forum at a good reasonable price.

Just my 0.02 cents
    default and ChiefWahoo like this.
    Live life to the fullest.. remember, every second counts!!!!

Collection:
    Ω Seamaster 2541.80
    | Garmin Vivoactive 3 | Apple Watch Series 2 | Tissot Seastar 660 Chrono | Tissot Navigator 3000 | Tissot T Race T Touch | Swatch SUUB101 | Red Line Quartz Chrono

I have changed strap/bracelet a few times on a brand new watch. It happened only on watches bought online. In one case I knew beforehand that the weight of the watch with a bracelet was too high for my liking (230 grams) so I ordered a leather strap at the same time.
    In other cases I did not like the colour or type of leather of the standard strap so I got different ones before receiving the watch. I have a rather large wrist (7.5") but still within the range of a normal strap.

My usual suppliers for straps are:

22 mm Tang Buckle Straps, 20 mm Tang Buckle Straps items in WACCEX SHOP store on eBay!

NATO and Leather Watch Straps in the UK - WATCHGECKO

Strapped for time. Extra long. 8.5" wrist. I feel your pain. The benefit is, when I sell one of my watches the new owner gets a almost new OEM bracelet. Steinhart is the only mfg. that sent me a bracelet that was long enough without having to buy extra links. My Rolex needed 3 1/2 extra. I think it added close to $500 to the cost.
    ChiefWahoo likes this.
    Rolex Datejust (2009), Omega Speedmaster 3576-50 moonphase 1866 movement (2007), Enicar Sherpa Jet AR1146 (196?), Borealis Sea Storm (2018), Bucherer 3 register w/Lemania 1873 (1970), Zenith Defy ETA 2832 (36000 bph) (1975), Steinhart OVM, ETA 2824-2 (2013), Tissot DL Super Compressor w/784-2 movement (1972), Bulova Curvex (????), Jacques Lemans Chrono Valjoux 7753 (2000s), Bulova Spaceview (1969) Vostok Blue Scuba Dude 2416B(2014) Krieger Tidal Chronometer (1988), CD chronofighter (1990s) , Seiko Kinetic (2000) , Citizen eco-drive titanium (????) , Timex intelligent quartz tide and compass watch (2012)

********GRAIL WATCHES*********
    Speedmaster Pre-Pro Cal. 321 Dot over 90 original everything
    Zenith El Primero A3818 Cal. 3019
    Zenith El Primero A386 Cal. 3019
    Rolex Daytona Paul Newman
    Abercrombie & Fitch (Heuer) Seafarer Tide Chronograph

Gone but not forgotten
    JLC Master Moon (1999) sold 12/2013
    TNT Challenger Rattrapante Sold 2/2018

P.s. you don't need behemoth watches. 38-42mm is my sweet spot. 6'3" 255# 8.5" wrist.
    Rolex Datejust (2009), Omega Speedmaster 3576-50 moonphase 1866 movement (2007), Enicar Sherpa Jet AR1146 (196?), Borealis Sea Storm (2018), Bucherer 3 register w/Lemania 1873 (1970), Zenith Defy ETA 2832 (36000 bph) (1975), Steinhart OVM, ETA 2824-2 (2013), Tissot DL Super Compressor w/784-2 movement (1972), Bulova Curvex (????), Jacques Lemans Chrono Valjoux 7753 (2000s), Bulova Spaceview (1969) Vostok Blue Scuba Dude 2416B(2014) Krieger Tidal Chronometer (1988), CD chronofighter (1990s) , Seiko Kinetic (2000) , Citizen eco-drive titanium (????) , Timex intelligent quartz tide and compass watch (2012)

********GRAIL WATCHES*********
    Speedmaster Pre-Pro Cal. 321 Dot over 90 original everything
    Zenith El Primero A3818 Cal. 3019
    Zenith El Primero A386 Cal. 3019
    Rolex Daytona Paul Newman
    Abercrombie & Fitch (Heuer) Seafarer Tide Chronograph

Gone but not forgotten
    JLC Master Moon (1999) sold 12/2013
    TNT Challenger Rattrapante Sold 2/2018

Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    Most bracelets do, or come real close, but a bracelet on a sterile pilot watch is, kinda like brown shoes with navy pants, ya know1?
    Though unrelated, brown shoes are fine with navy pants. Brown and navy doesn't clash. Black and navy kind of does.
    bleeps and wschofield3 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information