Am I missing something?

Thread: Am I missing something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Am I missing something?

Hi all,

I've a question......

I normally read the sales forum and fake busters, it's always entertaining to see the c**p being sold on eBay,

My question is people are always asking for pictures of the movement and I understand with older watches where the case backs are easier to get off, but I've seen people asking or saying get pics on a planet ocean movement etc, first off, how has the average seller going to have the tools to do this, but more importantly the waterproof seal would need redoing therefore devaluing the watch and making it hassle for the buyer to do, plus the fact it could damage the watch, I understand the need to prove authenticity but aren't the people leaving comments asking for too much when asking for movement pics on newer watches?

Re: Am I missing something?

That's true....But if you are going to pay some guy you don't know,never met,two or three thousand pounds, or more, of your money...
    And fakes being as good as some are,don't you want to see everything you can b/4 you pay? It's like a rabbit in a box....How do you
    know the rabbit is in the box?

No I agree it's tough to tell! Some fakes can be very good, Which Is why I don't think I could buy something of any value off eBay! I just think it's a big ask for something that could damage the watch or cause issues for a potential buyer, as most on eBay that sell aren't going to be able to properly open up a case back to me it seems crazy to ask, guess it's the game you play,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Also what I mean is I wouldn't want someone who probably has no clue about opening watches up to Try and open up a watch and risking damaging something I was potentially paying 1.2.3k + on, I guess I wondered what other people's perspective on this was

Got it. I think like you...I've never bought a used watch b/4. But I have bought 2 expensive watches from E-Bay sellers
    with a long and well documented history and I felt quite safe doing so. And I got fantastic deals on both watches from
    different dealers....But I don't think I'll ever do it again. Buying on E-Bay only if the guy has a stellar history.

Neither have I, I've looked at some before and a few others I just look at them and think how have they been treated? I'm pretty careful with mine and keep them in the best condition I can plus the savings haven't been enough, I'd rather pay a bit more and buy new with a warranty than save a few £100 and not know what I'm getting, I've read some horror stories on here, I do agree that if the seller has great feedback or history that could sway me but I'm not sure if it's ever worth the risk!

If the seller has a good track record and they have the full kit (inner and outer boxes, manual, stamped warranty card, extra links, hang tags, etc.) and plenty of pictures for the listing, you would probably be ok. I agree with your OP that requesting to see the case opened up for a picture is a little much. If you want verification, go to an AD after you receive the watch and have them open it up so they can re-seal and pressure test it. If it turns out to be a very good counterfeit, then go after the seller by all means available.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatman14 View Post
    Also what I mean is I wouldn't want someone who probably has no clue about opening watches up to Try and open up a watch and risking damaging something I was potentially paying 1.2.3k + on, I guess I wondered what other people's perspective on this was
    If you're selling a watch on eBay for $1, 2, 3K, you should have movement shots. The only "damage" to the watch really is the potential for scratches, but if you're not buying from a retailer/reseller who just happens to use eBay, you're probably buying a used watch anyway. If the seller isn't willing to try himself, he could take it to a watch repair person who I'm sure would do it for $5.

Opening a watch will not necessarily damage the seals--sure for an expensive watch that I would actually submerge, I'd probably get it pressure tested after I bought it, but it's not like you "break the seal" by opening a caseback.

I only buy vintage watches on the Bay, and rarely spend more than $100, so I'm willing to take the risk. I plan to buy a $1K-ish watch soon, but it will be here, where I can be more confident in the seller and the watch.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Quote Originally Posted by Perdendosi View Post
    If you're selling a watch on eBay for $1, 2, 3K, you should have movement shots. The only "damage" to the watch really is the potential for scratches, but if you're not buying from a retailer/reseller who just happens to use eBay, you're probably buying a used watch anyway. If the seller isn't willing to try himself, he could take it to a watch repair person who I'm sure would do it for $5.

Opening a watch will not necessarily damage the seals--sure for an expensive watch that I would actually submerge, I'd probably get it pressure tested after I bought it, but it's not like you "break the seal" by opening a caseback.

I only buy vintage watches on the Bay, and rarely spend more than $100, so I'm willing to take the risk. I plan to buy a $1K-ish watch soon, but it will be here, where I can be more confident in the seller and the watch.
    I get what your saying, but I'd never open the case back to sell a watch, and I'd not expect someone else to, if it's done by a non certified person you invalidate your warranty (if it's still in warranty) and if the seals/pressure test are properly done you could ruin the watch, I guess I'm just super fussy. Which is why I don't buy used. I agree that watches with box and papers are a must, I find it hard to believe anyone throws them away as it's so important to keep them for resale etc!

I've sold several watches on Ebay for thousands of dollars each, and no one has ever asked to see pictures of the movement. Granted none of the watches were more than 2 years old, and I clearly stated in the listing that the casebacks have never been opened. I would never open a caseback to take pictures just because someone asked me to. Once a caseback has been cracked open, it should be pressure tested by the manufacturer, or a VERY competent watchmaker. I would not buy a newish watch (2-3 years old) that has had its caseback opened.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information