Am I screwed? (EBay)
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Am I screwed? (EBay)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Am I screwed? (EBay)

So I sold a pre-owned G-shock on eBay. The buyer receives the watch, and sends me a message, indicating that the watch is "not as described," then he states that the backlight does not work. I reply suggesting that he try a new battery, and I would reimburse him for the cost of the battery. He then replies that he read the instructions, and the problem could not be the battery. I then offered him two options: (1) I would reimburse him a nominal amount ($10) out of consideration for the "defective" item, or (2) offer a full refund upon return. He went with option 2, stating that he wants to use the watch while camping, and the backlight is necessary.

I received the watch today and...guess what...the backlight works just fine. So I sent him a message with photos of the watch both with the backlight on and off, so he can see that it is working. That's where it stands.

Also keep two additional things in mind:

(1) The description in the listing made no mention of a backlight. I indicated that it had only been worn a few times, came in the original tin without instructions, and included some specs from another site - but no mention of the backlight.

(2) My listing was for "no returns."

I can only assume that the buyer either is a complete moron (cannot turn on a light, despite reading the instructions) or made up an excuse to return something he may not have liked. But why make an excuse by lying about something I would know was a lie, IMMEDIATELY after receiving the watch? I mean, wouldn't any smart person check out the validity of the alleged defect immediately?

Now I have a perfectly working watch in hand, and probably no sale. So am I out of a sale, or what? I've heard that EBay rarely sides with sellers. I did what I thought was the honorable thing to do, and to maintain my 100% rating. Now, I'm a little jaded.
    Official Rotation

IWC Portuguese 3714-45 \ Rolex Explorer 214270
    \ Omega Speedmaster Professional \ Rolex Submariner 114060 \ Breitling Transocean Chronograph \ Seiko Prospex SBDC051 \ Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400ST \ Rolex Datejust 41 126300 \ Oris Aquis Clipperton \ IWC Aquatimer \ Ball Engineer III Legend \ Sinn 104 \ Seiko SARX055 \ Squale GMT \ Archimede Pilot 39 \ Sinn 556

Follow me on Instagram: mtravis38

Re: Am I screwed? (EBay)

#1) Don't EVER list as "no returns". Next time you'll lose your watch and your money (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/neve...em-835392.html)

#2) Refund the money, get your listing fees back, sell it on WUS and not eBay.

#3) Worst case use Craigslist.

At least you have the watch. He could have screwed you and kept the watch, opened a dispute and you would have no watch and no money.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like a bad situation, but think about your options... Is it really worth it to get into an argument with the buyer, ebay, and paypal over this? If I were you I'd just put it up on in the sales forum here, or worst case re-list the watch on ebay.

Maybe leave him some negative feedback too... doesn't sound like the kinda person I'd want to do business with.

I don't get it, you didn't mention back-light on a no return sale and then accepted his return for back-light problems, you should just email ebay (if case is not escalated they don't read it, just an automatic process) telling them returns are not accepted as stated, for the records, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by cbaytan View Post
    I don't get it, you didn't mention back-light on a no return sale and then accepted his return for back-light problems, you should just email ebay (if case is not escalated they don't read it, just an automatic process) telling them returns are not accepted as stated, for the records, that's all.
    My reasoning was that, even though the backlight was not explicitly mentioned in the listing, there is a reasonable expectation by the buyer that the watch is fully functional, unless otherwise stated. I tried to put myself in the shoes of the buyer and their expectations. If I was buying a watch (as I have on ebay), I would expect the watch to be functioning normally, unless otherwise noted. In my eyes, the watch was (based on their claim) defective, and I thought it was a prudent business decision to refund, despite the no return listing. Now I just think the buyer had remorse and was dishonest in getting a return on a working watch.

Now in all honesty this wasn't a huge deal. It's not a lot of money, but it leaves a sour taste in your mouth about future ebay transactions. I had planning on selling off another 20 or so affordables on ebay, but maybe not. I hadn't planned on listing them here because I wouldn't consider them high demand watches, knowing what the people here at WUS tend to buy.
    Official Rotation

\ Omega Speedmaster Professional \ Rolex Submariner 114060 \ Breitling Transocean Chronograph \ Seiko Prospex SBDC051 \ Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400ST \ Rolex Datejust 41 126300 \ Oris Aquis Clipperton \ IWC Aquatimer \ Ball Engineer III Legend \ Sinn 104 \ Seiko SARX055 \ Squale GMT \ Archimede Pilot 39 \ Sinn 556

Update: The buyer replied to my message claiming that the light did not work when he got it, and doesn't know how it works now. How this could possibly be true is beyond me. "You see that big button with the 'G' on it? That's the light. Press it, and voila! Light." He said he even contacted Casio for help. He is still requesting a refund but will eat his shipping costs.

Also, he has not yet rated me, so I'm concerned he may hold my 100% rating hostage if I don't refund him.
    Last edited by OSUMBA2003; March 21st, 2013 at 01:19.
    Official Rotation

Just refund him and be done with it. And either relist it or list it here as others have said. I wouldn't deal with that guy any more. Watches for sale here are in every price range.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Am I screwed? (EBay)

I agree with everyone here. I have had two bad experiences on eBay, one with a watch I sold and another with a different item. eBay is awful and I will never buy or sell anything through eBay again. Give the guy the refund and move on. If you look through the sales forum there are tons of G shocks sold all the time and plenty of other affordables as well. You may not make a killing but you will deal with good people and you won't get killed in fees.
    OSUMBA2003 likes this.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I went ahead and refunded his money. At least I have a working watch. I know G-Shocks will sell here, so I may give that a go.
    Official Rotation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information