Am I Spoiled or Just Blessed? -- Watch Accuracy

View Poll Results: How "off" can your watch get before you feel the need to correct it?

Voters
69. This poll is closed
  • 1 - 2 Minutes

31 44.93%
  • 2 - 4 Minutes

14 20.29%
  • 4 - 6 Minutes

6 8.70%
  • 6 - 8 Minutes

0 0%
  • 8 - 10 Minutes

0 0%
  • More than 10 minutes but less than 15

1 1.45%
  • I change watches before they go "off" by more than a minute

7 10.14%
  • I change watches before the variance is something I notice or care about

13 18.84%
  • I wear quartz watches that are accurate all the time until the semi-annual time change

5 7.25%
  • None of the above; see my post.

2 2.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Am I Spoiled or Just Blessed? -- Watch Accuracy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Am I Spoiled or Just Blessed? -- Watch Accuracy

How "off" can your watch's time reporting be before you feel obliged to correct it? I don't mind a variance of a couple minutes or so, but five minutes' variance is about the limit before I feel I should adjust it. Most of my watches have, quartz, ETA or in-house movements inside. The consequence of that is that I've been accustomed to my watches reporting the right time -- within a minute or two -- for weeks on end. FWIW, over the past 20+ years, the Constellation, an Air King, a Tag Series 2000, and a variety of quartz watches are the ones that have served as my daily wearers, although it's been the Constellation for the past decade or so.

I recently bought my first watch having a Citizen mechanical movement in it and it's been observed as losing about 20 seconds per day when worn daily. Now, I have to say that took me aback; I really expected here in 2014 that that Miyota would perform much more closely to what I've observed from my ETA movements -- 4-10 seconds/day -- the majority of which are ETA-top non-chronometer grade. Boy was I surprised to find that just isn't the case.

I also have a non-descript watch that I bought from a street peddler in Shenzhen. It too seems to be more accurate than is that Miyota movement, and I don't actually have the first idea what's inside that watch. It came only with a "thank you" from the guy who was selling them off a stick from which they were dangling and I picked one. The one I chose, nor any of others, had so much as a cling-wrap-like protective covering on it. Nonetheless, it's holding it's own with my ETAs. (I wore this watch every day for about a month when I first got it, but now, I wear it only when I go clubbing/bar hopping with colleagues at night in Shenzhen.)

My daily wearer is an old Constellation chronometer, but I don't expect watches lacking that certification, or it's equivalent from other countries, to match it. I do expect -- especially in light of that cheap Chinese watch I bought -- to come close, closer than 20 seconds/day. So, am I being unreasonable? Have I just been lucky? Admittedly, if I don't wear a watch every day, I won't notice how accurate it is or isn't and I don't actually bother to check on watches I don't wear daily.

FWIW, the watch having the Miyota movement isn't a daily wear watch for me either, so in the long run, it's accuracy over long periods is a moot point. I just bothered to check since I took the time to write a review of it.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: Am I Spoiled or Just Blessed? -- Watch Accuracy

For me, 1 minute is enough for me to take the watch off and re-do the time.

Of all the watches I have owned with all their differing movements, I too have found the Miyota 9015 to be the worst performing.

I know a lot depends on many different variable factors but as a quick statement concerning my own watch collection past and present the Miyota is way behind. Hopefully its just a one off, and I was just unlucky (but at 20 seconds, I think you are waaaaay more unlucky)
    tony20009 likes this.

Only my Oris ProDiver Date runs all the time, and the rest get worn much less often. The PDD runs within COSC standards and I tend to reset it every couple of weeks rather than when it's x seconds off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Huh?? It is always within a second or two! my non atomic watches... I wait until they are off 1 to 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    For me, 1 minute is enough for me to take the watch off and re-do the time.

Of all the watches I have owned with all their differing movements, I too have found the Miyota 9015 to be the worst performing.

I know a lot depends on many different variable factors but as a quick statement concerning my own watch collection past and present the Miyota is way behind. Hopefully its just a one off, and I was just unlucky (but at 20 seconds, I think you are waaaaay more unlucky)
    Somehow, I don't think I'm unlucky (or lucky for that matter) with the Miyota. I didn't seek out any documentation on it's accuracy prior to buy the watch, but after having done so, I'm finding that 20 - 30 seconds is within the range Citizen themselves claim for it. Also, I keep finding other sources that say about the same thing. I don't know if those sources are just citing what Citizen has published, but it's consistent with what I'm finding for mine.

- ANSTEAD
    - http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/.../spec_9015.pdf

Ariel Adams wrote an article about Citizen targeting ETA (Japanese Miyota Targets Swiss ETA With Caliber 9000 Series Watch Movements | aBlogtoWatch), but with 10s/day as the best of the accuracy expectation the maker cites, I don't think Citizen has hit the target. Ten seconds per day is, by comparison, the worst I've noticed from an ETA. I don't have any doubt about the movement -- 9000 series or 8200 series -- being up to snuff on the durability and "work horse" aspect of Citizen's goal, but that's still just part of the "shooting match."

I've read too that Seiko's non-GS movements, in particular the ones used in Monsters and Tunas, also lose 20-30 seconds a day, and that 40 isn't uncommon. I don't have one, so I don't have any direct experience on which to judge. It may be, however, that Seiko doesn't want to jeopardize GS sales by putting out affordable watches/movements that come sufficiently close to the GS ones in accuracy that consumers won't justify the added cost just to get that difference. I suspect several Swiss makers faced a similar conundrum when choosing watches to enter into the chronometer competitions that were held a few years back, and thus why (1) so many tourbillions were winners, while non-tourbillion models from the same makers weren't even entered, and why (2) in the later instances of that competition several makers would only agree to participate if the details of by how much any watch (tourbillion and non-tourbillion) won/lost weren't made public. (Nobody wants their "dirty little secrets" made plain for all to see, and everything's "political," isn't it? LOL)

Of course, there's always the cost-benefit factor. I'm certainly not going to off the cuff encourage most folks to buy a multi-thousand dollar chronometer (or equivalent) watch just so they can correct the time less often. Still, I am quite surprised that Citizen and Seiko can't find a good value proposition in profitably selling large quantities of relatively accurate (~6-10 seconds per day) watch movements that allow for a maker to install them in reasonably priced ($500 or less) watches that are accessible to nearly everyone. After all, even though we watchie types don't think $1K is a lot for a watch, it's considerably more than the average consumer wants to spend on one.

All the best.

I could tell by their audible gasps that the people on the beach were jealous of me when I found five shark's teeth. Locating them wasn't really the problem, but pulling them out of my leg was.
    ― Jarod Kintz, It Occurred to Me

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

I like my mechanical watches to be within a minute of the actual time. If I have a watch that is +10 seconds or so, this means I set it a minute slow, and within a couple weeks, it will be about a minute fast. Wash, rinse, repeat.

More often, I don't wear a single watch for that span of time, so I just set the watch to the correct minute when I put it on.
    tony20009 likes this.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

I reset a watch when I happen to notice it is off by a couple of minutes but I don't check their accuracy much at all.
    Last edited by John MS; July 29th, 2014 at 00:11.
    Gary123 likes this.

I'd say you've been lucky with your ETA's then, because maximum allowed variance for an élaboré ETA 2824-2 would be +/- 20 seconds/day and I have had two 2824-2's that were worse than that.
    Lover of watches from all around the globe.

Then I have been lucky as well. My eta 2824 watches have been very accurate as have my miyota 9015's. My most inacurate watch was a sellita and my seiko monsters. But not terrible enough that I would complain about it

I tend to adjust the time when it's off by few minutes unless I don't have anything important going on. There's no strict schedules I need to keep or anything like that. So for the while being it might be off little more.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information