Am I a Tweaker? (OCD)
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By rdoder
  • 1 Post By ev13wt
  • 1 Post By Veda

Thread: Am I a Tweaker? (OCD)

Unhappy Am I a Tweaker? (OCD)

OK I can't help it, I like to play with my watches, I hold, wind, clean, and check timing on each on a daily basis. I peek in their box and admire the gleaming metal and crystal curves with awe between handlings. I apparently put a lot of weight in how well a movement keeps and holds it's time.

Although I understand cleanly the specification and limits of mechanical movements I can't help but feel something is off with my beloved Omega Seamaster PO. Old stock but new, 2210-51-00 with caliber 3313. I've had it now about 3 weeks and it's seemingly getting faster and faster on a daily basis. In the first week it gained about 2 seconds a day...then 3 and now almost 6 seconds! I've tried varied resting positions. Fully winding every day. Running the chronograph or not. Allowing it to fully unwind it's reserve (which by the way was shorter than expected)

I am not sure if this works but I tried to check to see if it somehow became magnetized by using my iPhone compass and it didn't seem to be reactive.

What is a few seconds? Nothing really but the changing rate does concern me a lot. What are your thoughts?

Re: Am I a Tweaker? (OCD)

I vacillate between being okay with mechanical's inaccuracy and being unhappy about it. At one extreme end, people who say accuracy does not matter at all might be people who could be happy with wearing a non-functioning watch (that tells the right time twice a day!). At the other end, there might be folks who cannot be happy with anything less than approaching perfection (e.g. GPS, radio-controlled, HAQ).

In terms of mechanical watch speeding up, apparently from what I read on WUS, mechanical watches tend to speed up over time? e.g. ilitig8's post https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/does...l#post24006170 : "My Pateks new have all run in the +1 to +2 second range on the wrist on the Timegrapher over 6 positions they are between -2 and +4 seconds, they speed up over the years by a second or two, fresh from a Patek service they run about -2 to -.5 on the wrist with roughly the same positional variance again speeding up slowly over the years." So if even Pateks speed up over the years, it is not surprising that other mechanicals speed up over time, probably much more than Patek. I have an old watch that's 1 minute fast per day, supporting the observation that mechanicals speed up over time (when they go without service)?

When I see my mechanical's timing being off, sometimes I like to think of it as the watch "doing things its way" (kind of like Frank Sinatra's version of "My Way"). But the truth is, one is looking at the flaws of this old technology. Ways to deal with it:

-Rationalize: <1 minute off per day is not so bad. Most people's applications for time-telling don't require the time to be accurate down to the exact second. A watch that is dead accurate is boring; positional, temperature, mainspring-state-of-wind variance in timekeeping and lack of isochronism, increase in inaccuracy over time, and need for service makes mechanical life-like and interesting.

-Ignore: try to stop oneself from tracking the watch's inaccuracy.

-Sabotage: set the watch's time inaccurately (e.g. x minutes fast, or +/- 1 minute but not set the second hand to be dead on against actual time) to begin with so that one could not track the accuracy.

-Reduce: cut short the buildup of inaccuracy by wearing each mechanical watch only for one day and then rotate between watches.

All are valid strategies to deal with inaccuracy that people do. In the end, one needs to accept the nature of mechanical in order to love it. When I don't read so much about mechanical on WUS, I find myself being okay with quartz. Reading at WUS causes mechanical love and cognitive dissonance!

I remind myself sometimes of the history of quartz versus mechanical. When quartz first came out, it decimated sales of Swiss mechanical watches. Only later after the Swiss watch industry started marketing mechanical as luxury watches did mechanical make a comeback. I think most watch people now buy into the romance of mechanical, but it was decimated in the first place for valid reasons. Buying and using mechanical watches is not a rational choice.
    Last edited by rdoder; December 30th, 2015 at 17:01.
    Trever1t and Bleedingblue like this.

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed answer. It's not only that it's a few seconds off but it's rate has further sped up so that now it's out of spec for a chronometer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Its just getting oiled up from sitting so long. It will settle again, give it 2 weeks.
    Trever1t likes this.
    Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
    Its just getting oiled up from sitting so long. It will settle again, give it 2 weeks.

Strange but that may be the case. Over the last 5 days it's gained just under 15 seconds, well within spec.

Banned
    You just need to curb your obsession of this hobby.
    Trever1t likes this.

Thread Information