American Watches and American Movements - Waltham/Elgin (Not RGM, Shinola, TWC, et al)
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: American Watches and American Movements - Waltham/Elgin (Not RGM, Shinola, TWC, et al)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

American Watches and American Movements - Waltham/Elgin (Not RGM, Shinola, TWC, et al)

Once in a while, I find something that appeals to me as a story. When I find such a thing for less than $3K, I like it even better.

Roland Paige. Anybody heard of them/him? Bought one? Waltham or Elgin? Got an old one hanging around somewhere? Maybe you like a lot about vintage looks aside from having to restore them. Problem solved. If you happen to have a soft spot for the old names in American watchmaking, check this out, and be sure to peek at the vintage movement page. I'm liking what I see so far.

Wristwatches, Pocket Watches and Wrocket Watches by Richard Paige
    Rpaige Wrocket Watch By Richard Paige Uses Vintage American Movements, Review - Page 2 of 2 | aBlogtoWatch

All the best.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: American Watches and American Movements - Waltham/Elgin (Not RGM, Shinola, TWC, et al)

Might want to check out some vintage Hamiltons.
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

Re: American Watches and American Movements - Waltham/Elgin (Not RGM, Shinola, TWC, et al)

I am quite worried about the watch's accuracy and durability.
    While I find the concept rather interesting, I have such watches are rather fragile as pocket watch movements were never meant to be moved so vigorously.
    ( I might be wrong, I am a beginner at this watch business )

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by loiidol View Post
    I am quite worried about the watch's accuracy and durability.
    While I find the concept rather interesting, I have such watches are rather fragile as pocket watch movements were never meant to be moved so vigorously.
    ( I might be wrong, I am a beginner at this watch business )
    You are right in theory as these watches do not have anti-shock system for the balance shaft. However, many of these movements are robust enough for normal use (not sport activities).

Asia - HK, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai

One of few products that you never want to buy America is watch, as US does nothing better than outsourcing.

RGM is American watch with American movement.

But, for your topic, check out the series 222, which use vintage Hamilton movements and are not ugly like the "Wrocket"
    tony20009 and bacari like this.

Some Bulova watches made up through the mid 1960's used good quality 30 jewel american made movements with shock resistant jewel mounts. There are a couple of sellers on Ebay who offer recased american watch movements as I recall. Good to see those old attractive movements being used once again.
    Last edited by John MS; October 24th, 2013 at 15:08.
    tony20009 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seanwontreturn View Post
    One of few products that you never want to buy America is watch, as US does nothing better than outsourcing.
    Sheer foolishness. American pocket watches set the standard for the whole industry for at least 75 years. I have a pocket watch that is 115 years old that runs within a few seconds a day, and it was only a mid-grade model. There were railroad-grade and premium models that easily beat any modern COSC-certified watch. And they made later wristwatches that also met railroad requirements. They did not fall behind until the industry moved to automatic movements in the late 50's, and that's when many of them faded away.

Of course, most mid-priced pocket watches that were adjusted to positions were adjusted to two positions plus temperature and isochronism. Pocket watches generally lived in two positions: Crown up in the vertical plane when being worn, and dial up on the dresser at night.

Anti-shock is another issue altogether, when repurposing old movements. Broken balance staffs were a common problem before shock-protection systems were in wide use; now they are a rare problem. Pocket watches had large, heavy balances and that will not make the problem any better.

RGM is one example of a watch company that does not out-source. They make watches with vintage pocket-watch movements, just like the OP is posting, and they also make movements (modeled on vintage American designs) in their own workshops. They also make cases, dials, and so on. Shinola, Kobold, and Towson use Swiss movements, which should make them no worse than the Swiss watches of similar quality that use those movements. Sometimes they are priced competitively for what they are, and sometimes they are not, but the market will sort that out eventually.

Rick "who thinks this statement has the same smell as those who insist Asian watches are junk" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Different time periods pieced together. The hands on the second watch just look awful. Lettering way too large.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Asia - HK, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Sheer foolishness. American pocket watches set the standard for the whole industry for at least 75 years. I have a pocket watch that is 115 years old that runs within a few seconds a day, and it was only a mid-grade model. There were railroad-grade and premium models that easily beat any modern COSC-certified watch. And they made later wristwatches that also met railroad requirements. They did not fall behind until the industry moved to automatic movements in the late 50's, and that's when many of them faded away.

Of course, most mid-priced pocket watches that were adjusted to positions were adjusted to two positions plus temperature and isochronism. Pocket watches generally lived in two positions: Crown up in the vertical plane when being worn, and dial up on the dresser at night.

Anti-shock is another issue altogether, when repurposing old movements. Broken balance staffs were a common problem before shock-protection systems were in wide use; now they are a rare problem. Pocket watches had large, heavy balances and that will not make the problem any better.

RGM is one example of a watch company that does not out-source. They make watches with vintage pocket-watch movements, just like the OP is posting, and they also make movements (modeled on vintage American designs) in their own workshops. They also make cases, dials, and so on. Shinola, Kobold, and Towson use Swiss movements, which should make them no worse than the Swiss watches of similar quality that use those movements. Sometimes they are priced competitively for what they are, and sometimes they are not, but the market will sort that out eventually.

Rick "who thinks this statement has the same smell as those who insist Asian watches are junk" Denney
    sry for striking ur nerve, ur favor for pocket watch is well appriciated, wish u all the best with us watches.
    There is no such thing as a collector's watch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information