Analog Watches, Kids & the Digital Age
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Analog Watches, Kids & the Digital Age

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Analog Watches, Kids & the Digital Age

My kids are now in their early 20s and we are being blessed with grand kids. No so many years ago, I came to understand that the schools were not teaching kids to, among other things, read an analog watch/clock. It is not like they were not concerned with time, it was just that with so many digital time sources available, reading an "old fashion" clock/watch was not important. Since that time I have paid attention and noted that there are a good many youngsters who cannot read an analog watch/clock regardless of the annotations on the dial.

My rule for my kids, long before I learned about the schools position, was that their first watch had to have an analog face and they had to learn to read it. After that, I did not care what they did, but they had to be able to read a clock. I also made sure their first car was a stick shift so that they knew how to drive one if they ever had to. Both have migrated to automatics, mostly to have room in the car/van for kids.

Have you noted that folks in the "digital generation" are not concerned with reading an analog clock? What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Analog Watches, Kids & the Digital Age

My youngest 7year old son is now in Year4(British school system) Last 2years they started to learn analogue clock reading. But it has stopped. I do not know why.
    Maybe it`s a thing for parents to teach.
    He is still struggling with some Time reading, because some spanish words are different. Like:" a quarter to 1" is in spanish "es la una menos cuarto"
    I bought him a simple analogue watch, but he has no interest....

Hopefully he will learn it in the coming years!(both time reading and enjoying a watch).

PS: And for the Spanish Millenials: they can read clock but cannot do simple math(even my middle school eldest son is better in math than most highschoolers here), that`s more of concern to me!
    #14 and D10S Forever. Grącies and R.I.P Johan.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterHo View Post
    My youngest 7year old son is now in Year4(British school system) Last 2years they started to learn analogue clock reading. But it has stopped. I do not know why.
    Maybe it`s a thing for parents to teach.
    He is still struggling with some Time reading, because some spanish words are different. Like:" a quarter to 1" is in spanish "es la una menos cuarto"
    I bought him a simple analogue watch, but he has no interest....

Hopefully he will learn it in the coming years!(both time reading and enjoying a watch).

PS: And for the Spanish Millenials: they can read clock but cannot do simple math(even my middle school eldest son is better in math than most highschoolers here), that`s more of concern to me!
    I agree that there are other more pressing concerns with the schools, like not teaching core subjects well and eschewing cursive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've got three fully grown kids and three grandkids and bunch of grand nieces and nephews. I think that they need to know how to tell time and more importantly know how to use time effectively. Whether they get the time from a cell phone or Mickey Mouse analog watch is unimportant to learning how to use it effectively. Requiring kids to learn how to tell time with an analog display is kinda like requiring kids to learn how to use a slide rule before turning them loose on a computer.

It was truly a sad day when one of the girls in my high school a couple years back could not read an analog face. She was 17 for goodness sakes!

I see the reverse, When I showed my niece (6yrs) how a watch worked, she instantly threw her digital watch on the ground and wanted a mechanical one. In her eyes the sweeping second hand and the ticking made it better for her.

I have two friends that are about to have babies, I plan on buying one of them a Hamilton Khaki King with the date of birth of the child on it. With the hopes that they pass it down to their kids on their wedding day..
    chuasam likes this.

Schools here have analog clocks in the classroom on the walls, so kids have to be able to read it to see how much time until recess period!

What I found amusing was watching a teenager deal with a dial telephone he had never seen before!

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I've got three fully grown kids and three grandkids and bunch of grand nieces and nephews. I think that they need to know how to tell time and more importantly know how to use time effectively. Whether they get the time from a cell phone or Mickey Mouse analog watch is unimportant to learning how to use it effectively. Requiring kids to learn how to tell time with an analog display is kinda like requiring kids to learn how to use a slide rule before turning them loose on a computer.
    Inhear what you are saying, but it takes a lot more mathematical skills to run a slide rule (and get a reasonable answer) than to use Excel. Excel will give better precision, but it does not require an understanding of the underlying process.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
    Inhear what you are saying, but it takes a lot more mathematical skills to run a slide rule (and get a reasonable answer) than to use Excel. Excel will give better precision, but it does not require an understanding of the underlying process.
    But neither reading an analog or digital clock requires you to understand the concept of time. It's just two different notations. It's like claiming you can't understand programming unless you're proficient in FORTRAN.

I figure that it's something that will work itself out on it's own and isn't worth worrying about. It will get to a point where they're smart enough to very easily learn how to read an analog clock if they haven't learned already. Granted, I'll probably end up teaching them before that (they're 2 and 4 right now), but I don't see it as being something worth worrying about.

Don't know how it works in this day and age but I made sure that both my girls could read an analog watch when they were growing up. The fact that neither of them does so now is quite beside the point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information