Another Dress Watch Advice Thread--lots of pictures to help
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Another Dress Watch Advice Thread--lots of pictures to help

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another Dress Watch Advice Thread--lots of pictures to help

Hey WUS,

I am wanting to get a SS dress watch that will look good on a brown strap (doesn't need to be on one at time of purchase though). In my mind, this means that it can't have too much black on the dial, which is apparently hard to find with my other criteria. Ideally, I would like it to be kinetic/solar/eco-drive, but would be ok with regular quartz. I would also be ok with automatic (not hand-wound), except this usually kicks me out of my price range. I'd like to keep it around $500, but would be willing to go up to $1000. I'm willing to do small seconds or other complications like a moonphase, but I would like to keep it a fairly simple dial. Other criteria is as follows:

--38-39mm case without crown
    --as thin as possible (ideally around 5mm and definitely no more than 10mm)
    --decent brand name that is somewhat recognizable and not chinese (no fossil, Sea-Gull, michael kors, or no-name types)
    --no gold plating/PVD/or toning

Here are a bunch of pictures I found to give you guys somewhat of an idea. I found these with google images and don't own them, so hopefully no one gets mad. I'm still fairly new to this site, so if any photos do not work, please let me know, and I'll get it fixed immediately. The things I listed as wrong with a particular watch are not exhaustive. These are just good examples of the style I am looking for.

Name:  X32jGnm.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  32.4 KB
    I like this one a lot, but it is hand-wound.

Name:  OUpXbUt.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  124.3 KB
    out of my price range

Name:  3mOZQNR.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  87.9 KB
    hand-wound

Name:  zpSj2tv.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  10.1 KB
    about as out of my price range as you can get

Name:  qL87Pa2.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  5.3 KB
    out of my price range

Name:  WTyrrN9.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  14.8 KB
    out of price range

Name:  FkxqXA6.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  14.3 KB
    this may be the one I settle for if I don't find anything else. I don't like the brand name and wish it just said Seiko instead

Name:  6H6PBYF.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  85.4 KB
    just a millimeter or two too small, and auto version is just a millimeter too big

Name:  gx0gSfx.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  18.7 KB
    don't really know much about the brand, and would prefer something a little more recognizable or with a better reputation

Name:  c3n49Ao.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  42.4 KB
    i really liked this one too, but the minute markers are just a tad too long (picky i know) which I think puts too much black on the dial

Name:  TVMX8iI.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  47.2 KB
    Name:  YmDrCcW.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  101.1 KB

I'd even be willing to have silver roman numerals, like the last two above, but not ideally. Hopefully, you guys can come up with something.
    Last edited by Bgump84; January 11th, 2014 at 05:54.

Re: Another Dress Watch Advice Thread--lots of pictures to help

The first 8 aren't showing up for me.

But if you want a thin quartz dressy watch, how about this?

Watch : Eliros Date Gents | Maurice Lacroix

I really like the look, 38mm, sapphire, nice sunburst on the dial, under 1k, 4 dial tones to pick from...

hold on let me see if I can fix the images real quick.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There, hopefully all the pictures should work now. Let me know if they still don't.

You always give great suggestions, Domo. I had looked at ML but only at their Classique line because ideally I can find one without roman numerals. But I didn't even think to look over at the Eliros line, and this is a nicer option than the ones with a complete set of roman numerals I have above.

EDIT: I did find one in the Classique line that I like a lot, and I completely forgot about it until your suggestion. I still want to see what everyone else comes up with, but this may be a better one than the Pulsar I was going to settle for, even though it is on the high end of my budget.

Name:  fnpgku8.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  77.1 KB
    Last edited by Bgump84; January 11th, 2014 at 04:21. Reason: grammar and info

That's a great thought, I forgot they made some watches in the Classics line with quart movements. I like ML's designs in general. Very original.

If you haven't already, have a look at hamilton watches in the Jazzmaster and Classics lines. You might find something you like.

Zeno Watch Basel... The Bauhaus model. Here it is in black, but it also comes in silver face. Hand wound Peseaux 7001 movement.
    "This thing all things devours:
    Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
    Gnaws iron, bites steel,
    Grinds hard stones to meal;
    Slays king, ruins town,
    And beats high mountain down."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Since you don't seem to have a preference re movement type and thinness is a priority then quartz does seem most logical. The ML is a fine choice. I like the FC quartz models too. If you want to save more money check and see if you like the CWard Malvern:

Christopher Ward Swiss Made C5 Malvern Watch with Tan leather strap

It doesn't specify thickness though.
    Last edited by GlennO; January 11th, 2014 at 03:31.

If you're planning on wearing this as a "traditional" dress watch (meaning only on a handful of special occasions, a few times a year) then I would recommend a hand-wound over a quartz. If by "dress watch" you mean a formal watch that is worn more often than not and usually with a suit, than, yeah, quartz or automatic is the way to go.

I really like the Tissot Le Locle with roman numerals, the last picture you showed. I don't know if the Le Locle comes in a quartz version, but I did find a similar model on Amazon that is quartz:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41A4bpVGoTL.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	1341185

-hayday
    The pessimist says it can't get any worse, while the optimist says it can.

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    If you're planning on wearing this as a "traditional" dress watch (meaning only on a handful of special occasions, a few times a year) then I would recommend a hand-wound over a quartz. If by "dress watch" you mean a formal watch that is worn more often than not and usually with a suit, than, yeah, quartz or automatic is the way to go.

I really like the Tissot Le Locle with roman numerals, the last picture you showed. I don't know if the Le Locle comes in a quartz version, but I did find a similar model on Amazon that is quartz:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41A4bpVGoTL.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	1341185

-hayday
    I plan on wearing this a couple times a week, so it won't be a traditional dress watch I wear just on special occasions. However my work is set in a somewhat formal environment (a courtroom), and I like the look of the dressy watches. I would really prefer a watch I can quickly grab and go, so that is why I decided hand wound wouldn't be best. I already have one on a black strap for days I wear black shoes, and this one will be for when I wear brown shoes. I don't want to spend several mornings a week switching straps and scratching my watches, so this is the solution I came up with.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, everyone. Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by Bgump84; January 11th, 2014 at 03:48.

Might I suggest a Hamilton Intra-Matic 38mm.
    Name:  Intra.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  73.0 KB
    CitizenM, banks504, jswing and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information