WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Another Help Me Pick Thread - Longines and B&M Chronograph

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  41Mets 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I have been looking for a nice Swiss watch and ended up finding the WUS forum. You guys have a great forum here and I have spent the past month pouring over threads trying to learn as much as I can. I think I have really began to narrow down my list of potential watches and decided to ask for some opinions/advice with one of the dreaded "which watch" threads.:-d

I started out looking for something sporty that could still be dressed up. More often than not, I am in jeans and a polo but do occasionally put on a suit. As you can see, I am looking for a chronograph and would like something in the 40mm-44mm range (7" wrist). I have put my budget at $1k-$1.5k (maybe $2k) for this purchase and have been mainly looking at pre-owned. I don't know a lot about movements yet and am not concerned if it's an in house movement or not. But, I am definitely not interested in a quartz movement.

I initially fell in love with the JLC Master Compressor chronographs and started looking for similar style watches at a lower price point. This eventually led me to the Longines admiral chrono. I was able to find one offered through a private seller within my price range. I have contacted the seller with some questions and requested more photos of the watch to better determine the quality and authenticity. This watch comes with box, papers, purchase receipt and a Swiss Kubik watch winder.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Longines Admiral Chronograph

After finding the Admiral, I began diving into the Longines brand more. That is when I found this beauty. This Saint Imier chrono is available from a reputable dealer, is in great condition and includes box and papers. I love the looks of this watch but enjoy the small splash of color that you find on the other two watches. I think this could be a very versatile piece that I could wear all the time with different straps or the bracelet.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

Longines Saint Imier Chronograph

The capeland has been on my list of potential watches for quite a while. I think it's a great looking watch from a well known brand but I'm not sure how I feel about the pushers. I would definitely go with the 42mm version of this watch because I feel like the watch may wear a bit big. This is one I may have to track down and see in person to truly decide how much I like it.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chronograph

I hope to get some good feedback on these watches and am certainly open to other suggestions. Thanks for all your help and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Also, to all the people that are going to suggest a Speedmaster... I love the speedy and spent quite a bit of time looking at them. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find one of the 42mm versions within my price range and do not want to settle for one of the smaller ones. I plan on buying many more watches in the years to come and would rather wait and get the Speedmaster I want.

-Aaron

See less See more
#4 ·
You want a chrono, you should get a chrono.

Both the Longines and the B&M you show, like a swarm of others, seem to use the ubiquitous Valjoux 7750 movement. It's a workhorse movement. All the VSA chorines use it and you can get one of those for about 1/2 the cost, if you are pleased with the appearance of the watch. Paramount is you like the piece you are wearing.

Some VSA's, these can be had for $7-900, NOS, lot's of other VSA models like the Airbus's and dozens of other makers using the same 7750 platform. Seems like you want something with a clean bezel, understated? Tell us more...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brown

#5 · (Edited)
Some VSA's, these can be had for $7-900, NOS, lot's of other VSA models like the Airbus's and dozens of other makers using the same 7750 platform. Seems like you want something with a clean bezel, understated? Tell us more...
Rob, thanks for the helpful post, those are some nice looking watches. Yes, I guess I do like a clean bezel. I landed on the Longines and B&M because they were both brands that I was familiar with and seemed to be good quality for the money. I realize that pretty much anything in my pricerange will have an ETA movement in it, and that is fine. I think I'm leaning more towards the two Longines right now with the Capeland in 3rd.

I'm kind of torn between the two Longines tough. I really like the style of the Admiral and it is a good representation of what I initially set out to find. Although, I have not really been able to find a lot of info on this particular model. I really like the Saint Imier and feel like I might be getting a better quality watch for the money as well as a more interesting ETA movement that has the column wheel chronograph.

I definitely see myself picking up another watch or two next year to expand my collection. I would also not be surprised if I end up selling this watch down the road to upgrade to something nicer.

Thanks,
Aaron

#6 ·
I am going to suggest the Tissot PRC200 auto chrono. It's an excellent watch that gets you a Swiss automatic chronograph well under your budget. You could buy all the straps available for the model or put the extra money towards your speedy. Comes on steel, rubber or leather with or without red accents. A big bonus to me is the 200m wr. Hamilton as well has many great options if you are looking for something dresser or military inspired. Both are Swatch brands the same as Longines.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

#8 ·
I am going to suggest the Tissot PRC200 auto chrono. It's an excellent watch that gets you a Swiss automatic chronograph well under your budget.
Thanks for the reply. I've seen Tissot in some of the local stores here but don't know too much about the brand. I'll check it out.

I have had two Longines 3/4 handers, and while they are of a great quality, my B&M Capeland Chrono tops them in both fit and finish, and design (IMO).

That being said, I believe most Longines chronos use their column wheel chronograph movement, which is a major selling point for some and is potentially preferable to the 7753 in the B&M. Their designs are great and they are no doubt great watches.

I like the Capeland, St Imier, and Admiral in that order. Good luck.
Thanks, it's good to hear that you like your Capeland. It's been on my list for a while. I need to see one of these in person, I feel like I'll either love it or hate it. Although, from what I've read it seems like everyone who has one seems to really like it.

-Aaron

#7 ·
I have had two Longines 3/4 handers, and while they are of a great quality, my B&M Capeland Chrono tops them in both fit and finish, and design (IMO).

That being said, I believe most Longines chronos use their column wheel chronograph movement, which is a major selling point for some and is potentially preferable to the 7753 in the B&M. Their designs are great and they are no doubt great watches.

I like the Capeland, St Imier, and Admiral in that order. Good luck.

#11 ·
Of the three you posted it would be the Admiral for me. It appears to have screw down pushers which is a plus for water resistance, not that you would dive with it but I prefer more than less when it comes to WR. It is also sportier than the Imier but would not be out of place with a suit, to me it is just more versatile. I'm with you on the pushers on the B&M, they are not as elegant as the rest of the watch. The Tissot posted above is also a good recommendation, and Tissot has a long history in Swiss watchmaking. Check out the TAG Carrera chronos as well if you haven't already.

#14 ·
Hey, another buckeye!:) OH... IO!!!

Yeah, I really like the styling of the Admiral but I have not been able to find a lot of info on it such as reviews or videos etc. Was this not a very popular model for them? It is the cheapest of the three and I would probably end up buying an inexpensive dress watch to fill the void. The Admiral deal also includes a Kubik watch winder which, in a way, makes it even less expensive. I'm waiting on more pictures from the seller to better gauge the condition of the watch. If the seller flakes then it could end up off the table.

Still, I think I would end up quite happy with any of the three.

Not interested in a Tag. They really are nice looking watches but I see them everywhere.

-Aaron

#13 ·
I think you should try and track down the Baume as I think you will be better of making a decision after you try it on.
You might want to compare the feel of the pusher as that is supposed to be the main advantage of the column wheel design of the longines.
But if your looking for a good value vintage style chronograph you could always try a Chinese Seagull 1963 I think they are usually $300USD although they are hand wind and only 2 register.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#17 ·
I think you should try and track down the Baume as I think you will be better of making a decision after you try it on.
You might want to compare the feel of the pusher as that is supposed to be the main advantage of the column wheel design of the longines.
But if your looking for a good value vintage style chronograph you could always try a Chinese Seagull 1963 I think they are usually $300USD although they are hand wind and only 2 register.
You're right, I need to track down a local store that has the B&M. I think once I see it in person I will know for sure if I want it or not. Something like that Chinese Seagull could an interesting addition down the road but, for right now, I'm looking for a Swiss watch.

Good looking watches from two nice brands. Some of the Longines use an exclusive modification on the 7750 to make it a column wheel. That St. Imers version you posted should have it. Not exactly in-house, but exclusive to Longines, and we all know that column wheel chronographs are made from unicorn horns dipped in dragon tears. :)
Yeah, that was one of the things I liked about the St. Imiers. It's not just a stock 7750 like most watches in this price range. Although I don't really know much about different movements it did make it a bit more attractive to me.

There's a dude on Reddit r/watches says he's a Greek jeweller with a bunch of Hanharts offered at reasonable prices, just a thought.
That's a brand I've never heard of. I'll have to check them out.

-Aaron

#15 ·
Good looking watches from two nice brands. Some of the Longines use an exclusive modification on the 7750 to make it a column wheel. That St. Imers version you posted should have it. Not exactly in-house, but exclusive to Longines, and we all know that column wheel chronographs are made from unicorn horns dipped in dragon tears. :)

I bought this Longines a while back and am impressed by it. I really enjoy wearing it.

#19 ·
I like your choices for Longines and B&M. Certain grey market dealer has the B&M on sales for well under your budget. I would pick up the bracelet version and get an after market strap. Another one to consider if Raymond Weil Freelancer Titanium
I would be very interested in a PM about what grey market dealer has the B&M well under my budget. I haven't seen much under $1299ish. I would definitely pick up the bracelet version since it's much cheaper to buy straps after market and I would like both.

I've looked at RW and like their designs but have had trouble warming up to the brand. I like their Freelancer line but wasn't sure if the quality could compare to Longines or B&M for a similar price.

-Aaron

#20 ·
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
I prefer the B & M of the ones you posted. I have never seen it in person. I have been impressed with how the Longines line looks in person. Not so much about Tissot. I just purchased a Hamilton Khaki chrono that is absolutely gorgeous in person. That might be something to take a look at...and at the lower end of your price range- or under. Also- take a look at the Sinn 103. You might be able to find something preowned in your price range. Oh wait- that's not swiss...

#22 · (Edited)
I prefer the B & M of the ones you posted. I have never seen it in person. I have been impressed with how the Longines line looks in person. Not so much about Tissot. I just purchased a Hamilton Khaki chrono that is absolutely gorgeous in person. That might be something to take a look at...and at the lower end of your price range- or under. Also- take a look at the Sinn 103. You might be able to find something preowned in your price range. Oh wait- that's not swiss...
Thanks, I looked at the Hamilton line a bit and almost pulled the trigger on an X-Patrol a while back because the price seemed right. But, in the end I didn't feel like I had looked around enough and decided to wait.

That Saint Imier is gorgeous and would be very versatile; dress up in leather and dress down on bracelet...
Yes, I agree :). My problem is that I keep changing my mind. I almost bought a Capeland the other day but then I look at pictures of the watch and I don't think I like the large crown and martian antenna looking pushers.

I woke up today feeling very set on the Saint Imier and was gonna submit an offer on the one I've been looking at. But, when I checked my email this morning I found a bunch of high res pictures of the Admiral that I had requested from the seller. o|

-Aaron

#21 ·
#24 ·
Ok, the search is over, I have ordered a watch! :-! After talking on the phone with the dealer, he made me an offer that was too good to pass up. I went ahead and ordered the Longines Saint Imier chronograph. It will look just like this one.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post and offer advice. Now I need to order a few straps to go along with the bracelet.

-Aaron

#26 ·
I was about to offer my opinion, but I came upon your last post. The watch looks great, and the bracelet is quite unique. Good choice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.