Another help me shop thread

Thread: Another help me shop thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another help me shop thread

Hi all. I've been reading through much of this site for the last week or so, and it's a great source of information. Since you clicked, you probably figured out that I'm shopping for a watch. Maybe I've done too much research, but I have some ideas of what I would prefer:

-- Closer to vintage size, around 35-38 mm
    -- Probably a leather band
    -- I tend to prefer minimalist or art deco styles, as well as unique designs
    -- Luminous hands would be nice, since I often work and travel at night
    -- I don't really like gold, but I'm wearing a gold vintage Benrus right now which is actually pretty nice (it's losing a minute or more a day; I think I'll need to spring for a full cleaning).
    -- I'd prefer an automatic
    -- I'd like to stay under $500. Further under would better

So far, the best contenders I've found are the Hamilton Jazzmaster and Khaki Field, as well as the Mondaines. Tissots seem interesting, too, but most seem fairly large. The same with Torgoens.

Skagens look interesting, but I haven't seen one in person, and the Amazon reviews seem to indicate they have an issue with cracking crystals?

I also like to support smaller, innovative, good companies if possible. Am I missing anything? Thanks.

Re: Another help me shop thread

Minus the lume criteria, Stowa Antea would be worth a look.

Hello,
    If you like the military look a Seiko 5 SNK809 would fit the bill (they also come in different colors).
    A Seiko spirit would also be nice.
    If you like classic style and don't mind an Eco Drive with no lume, the Citizen bm8240-03e is very nice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Montreal, Canada. Land of Captain Canuck!

What about an Omega vintage? They would fit the bill easily!

Tons to find around the web, at various price points. You could also land one with a redial, which could be very pleasing aesthetically!

Just make sure to ask for big pics before pulling the trigger, since going to a local AD to have a look at them is not feasible.

Avant l’heure ce n’est pas l’heure; après l’heure ce n’est plus l’heure

Since 1999 and my first Omega Seamaster Bond, I've had dozens of watches.
    Permanent collection today: Rolex Submariner, Tudor Black Bay & Black Bay Heritage
    Omega Planet Ocean &
    Speedmaster Sapphire, Weiss 38mm Standard Issue Auto & Hand Wound
    Tissot T-Touch II, Baron Mauer Calaway , Casio G-Shock 35th Metal
    my feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Sertsa View Post

-- Closer to vintage size, around 35-38 mm
    -- Probably a leather band
    -- I tend to prefer minimalist or art deco styles, as well as unique designs
    -- Luminous hands would be nice, since I often work and travel at night
    -- I don't really like gold, but I'm wearing a gold vintage Benrus right now which is actually pretty nice (it's losing a minute or more a day; I think I'll need to spring for a full cleaning).
    -- I'd prefer an automatic
    -- I'd like to stay under $500. Further under would better

I also like to support smaller, innovative, good companies if possible. Am I missing anything? Thanks.
    Precista PRS-53
    Tick - buy an after market leather band - Tick (minimalist/military) - tick - tick - tick - tick (£150).
    TOCK!
    Last edited by Loddonite; November 12th, 2008 at 23:48. Reason: can't count ticks
    Dom
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.

Thanks. I saw some Seiko 5s, but not anything that was a little more subtle. (Mainly ones that were very gold).

I haven't even considered a vintage Omega; I just figured they'd be out of my range.

Thanks for the other tips. I'll look into them.
    Last edited by Sertsa; November 13th, 2008 at 06:33.

Maybe a Hamilton Khaki field watch. 38mm Swiss made watch with ETA 2824 2 auto movement, lumed hands and markers and well under budget.
    Titoni airmaster same movement as the Hamilton...but I read somwhere that Titoni assembel the movements themselves, don't know if this makes a difference.
    If you like the look of the Rolex Explorer I, Sandoz do a nice Homage. They are 36mm.

I'd also give a thumbs up to the Seiko spirit and Precista mentioned above.

Sorry I read your post with tired eyes. I see you have already looked at the Hamilton Khaki.
    Last edited by HYST13; November 13th, 2008 at 00:47.
    Best regards from sunny England
    Mark.

Thanks. These are great suggestions. So great, in fact, that I'm starting to think I could use more than one.

I hadn't heard of the Precista not the Titona before and just the Stowa briefly. Those look really nice. Is the Precista still only available at one site?

I had roughly the same needs in a watch and I ended up ordering a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. I should have it tomorrow, it came highly recommended.

anfro - Congrats. It's one of the watches I keep looking at.

Which version are you getting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information