Another thing Ive been pondering regarding the nature of automatic movements

Thread: Another thing Ive been pondering regarding the nature of automatic movements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another thing Ive been pondering regarding the nature of automatic movements

It just hit me as I was doing my last set of leglifts at the gym. You see quartz movements virtually everywhere. On wristwatches, alarm clocks, wall clocks, car clocks, heck even cufflink watches.

But you almost NEVER see a wall clock with an automatic movement. Dont look for them in your car either - they wont be there, I guarantee it. I know because I checked. Swatch has put out automatic movements in their wristwatches, but will you find one on a Pop Swatch? No is the short answer. The long answer is beyond my comprehension.

You only ever find automatic movements in wristwatches. Prove me wrong if you think I can but I dont think you can. I have also searched the archives of this forum, and the topic has to my knowlege never been addressed.

Re: Another thing Ive been pondering regarding the nature of automatic movements

Lol, I don't think people would take down their wall clock, or lift their alarm clock and shake them. It would look weird no?

My Collection --> Click Here

Banned

Re: Another thing Ive been pondering regarding the nature of automatic movements

Every car, boat, aircraft, submarine, wall clock and alarm clock had a mechanical movement, windup or a weight, before the "cheap Quartz" revolution.
    In an automatic movement, the Pendulum (rotor) has to move a certain way many times in a day.
    The applications I mentioned could just not provide enough movement to wind the moement reliably.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L View Post
    Lol, I don't think people would take down their wall clock, or lift their alarm clock and shake them. It would look weird no?
    why not? It wouldnt be hard to give each clock a shake once in a while. Dont forget, they would have a bigger movement and much greater power reserve so you would have to wind them no more than once a week.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Wasn't there just few days ago a post regarding UN creating automatic mechanical powered cell phone?

I think it is quite possible considering Cell phone does move all day long along with you I guess.
    Chronic flipper...

I have an antique mantle clock with a mechanical movement. Not auto though. You wind it with a key (which I've lost, darn it!). Kept good time though, when I could actually wind it.

It belonged to my great grandmother.

Jeannie

I remember my Father-in-law's 10 day ship's clock. To the best of my memory it was from a WWII destroyer. He would wind it every Sunday night before going to bed. It struck bells, which I believe are based on a 4 hour shift rotation.

I do believe that it could have been an automatic, given how much small surface vessels can roll. But it was wound with a special key that was carefully stored while it was on "active duty"

As a Navy man and a navigation teacher, he was the first person to tell me about the great history of developing accurate clocks in order to locate longitude with any accuracy. He would have loved automatic watches.

I've got a grandfather-clock that works on what I believe is weights. It's something that belongs to my father who got it from his mother who got it from her mother. Kind of cool, looks pretty decent for its age, but I'm sure it needs some serious work!

It will not be possible to shake a wall clock or mantle clock enough to wind them. In their natural state they will not move at all, unlike a wrist watch. As for winders, they will have to be the size of barrels! So there never were any automatic movements for clocks.

But I have seen plenty of mechanical wall clocks with pendulums. The one we had at our home during my school days needed to be wound only once a week. They are still available as made to order pieces.
    Last edited by Gansan; March 14th, 2009 at 09:38.
    Cheers!
    Gansan

The Titan Moon Phase

nvn

I've got a Cuckoo clock on the wall. U have to wind it by pulling down on the weights.
    Grandfather clocks with pendulums and a key also has been seen in the older days,
    Manual:
    HMT Janata
    HMT Pilot

Automatic:
    Omega Seamaster Pro 2220.80
    Bernhardt Sea Shark

Quartz:
    Titan Moon Phase
    Titan Edge
    Seiko Kinetic

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information