Any brand/type of watch you won't buy out of principle alone?
Like Tree535Likes

Thread: Any brand/type of watch you won't buy out of principle alone?

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Any brand/type of watch you won't buy out of principle alone?

Look, Rolexes are drop-dead gorgeous and all, but there's part of me that feels like I wouldn't buy one out of principle alone. Now my principles are entirely different than others, because my detraction from Rolex is how darn ubiquitous they are, and because with a brand that big you really are paying a chunk of change for their name and to perpetuate all their advertisements and endorsements. I'd rather have something slightly more unique, and where more of the dollars were going to the actual watch, or to the producer, versus some tennis or golf star.

Let me be clear - I lust after bico GMTs, respect the Sub as an OG, and would rock a Daytona any day ... just not if I had to write the check for it

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Any brand/type of watch you won't buy out of principle alone?

Just an estimate: +/- 100 including Invicta.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Tag Heuer (just never really liked them at all), Invicta, DW, MVMT, any and all "Fashion" watches...
    CoreyMac and Sebast975 like this.
    Current Collection
    Automatics:

Ball Engineer II Pioneer
    Mondaine SBB Classic Automatic
    Seiko Presage SARW013 Urushi
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Seiko 5 SNK615K1
    Orient Mako II

Quartz:
    Victorinox Infantry Chrono
    Seiko Perpetual Calendar
    Movado Luno
    Timex Bayman
    Casio Five Alarm

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn’t rule out any brand. I won’t buy homages though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invicta, Ginault, certain Steinharts or any other homage brand that looks exactly like a Rolex Sub but with a different name on the dial. I also won't buy an NTH due to the near 50% price hike in 2 years.

Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
    Damasko DA44
    G-Shock GWM5610-1

I feel the responses about not buying homages. I totally get what they're trying to do, and respect that the "look" is being made available at a more affordable price for people, but I'm not going to buy a Bulova space watch if I really want a Speedy, because every time I look down I'll be like, "yeah, that's nice, but...."
    Matei Radulescu likes this.

Omega.

Around 2002 I decided I wanted a better-that-average chronograph to wear as a daily watch. My wife surprised me with the watch I had chosen: an Omega Broad Arrow. Twice while under warranty I had to send it back to Omega for repair. A third failure was on my dime, but I figured it was my daily companion so off to Omega it went. When it failed a fourth time, the estimate for repair was over $2,000, which included Omega's effort to restore it to like-new with a new bezel and dial and hands...

I declined Omega's estimate and decided to let an independent watchmaker service it's mechanical faults. In the meantime I thought I would buy a basic Speedmaster Professional to have while the other was being repaired. Turned out to be a mistake. The new Speedmaster (purchased from an authorized dealer) didn't work right. I sent it to Nesbitt's in Seattle for repair. It went to them three times before they told me they wouldn't try again, and told me to send it to Omega in Secaucus, New Jersey. That soured me on Nesbitt's and I'll never use or recommend them to anyone. It took Omega "only" two tries to rectify the problem.

Four trips for repair in seven years on the Broad Arrow, five trips for repair in a few months on the Speedmaster Pro. Once both were functional, I sold them as quickly as I could before they imploded.

Fast forward a couple years, and I found myself looking at Omega again, this time at a Planet Ocean chronograph. I visited a boutique and examined the watch. The salesperson wound it up. I engaged the start/stop pusher, then the reset pusher and DOINK! The pusher popped out (but not off). "Is this right?" I asked. "Ah..." said the salesperson, "we'll need to adjust that."

I looked to the ceiling and thanked the Universe for keeping me from buying another Omega. I haven't been tempted since. In all fairness, I know my experience is in the minority, and that many owners are delighted with their Omega watches. I just won't ever be one of them.

Undone. because of the preposterous name.
    or rolex. probably a jealousy boycott mainly, but i’m not paying into the AD ........ they require to get a watch. plus they’re generally ugly in my eye.

Sent from work

So far, I will not buy any watch brand that advertises itself in a YouTube ad.

Most of the YouTube ad watches I have seen are full of claims and to be honest, very cheesy.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Any watch priced above my set budget.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information