Any dangers? Anything to take note of or do?

Thread: Any dangers? Anything to take note of or do?

Any dangers? Anything to take note of or do?

Hi guys,

need your much needed input; i'm in the midst of a deal with a brand spanking new member here and am about to sell him a timepiece via paypal. Again, like i said he's new and has no prior references or claims to be of no part of any other watch forums so what should i take note of as i have usually dealt with others in the past with at least somewhat of a record.

What i usually do is to withdraw the money immediately upon receival but is there any issues in case there's a dispute (btw i've completed multiple selling and buying transactions here and on TZ without problems before) but one can never be too certain of hiccups. As always, the parcel will be sent out insured and with a need for a signature by the receiver but anything else to take note of considering i've got nothing to fall back on?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Gareth

Re: Any dangers? Anything to take note of or do?

I'm new to this forum (and watch forums in general) as well but have been an active member of numerous other forums for many years, and am active on Ebay and CL as a buyer and a seller. There are a lot of safeguards put in place on Paypal that if you follow their protocol and ship/insure appropriately you shouldn't have to worry about much. If the forum member is local, and by local I mean nationally for long distance purposes, I would ask to have a phone conversation. There's a lot you can tell about a person from a phone conversation (I do phone and virtual selection assessments for a living) if you ask the right questions and simply listen. You can also ask if he's a member of any other forums and then just do a search for his username and you can see his history that way.

I've done numerous deals across country with complete strangers on CL on just a phone call or two and a verbal promise (and Paypal of course). You just have to dot your i's and cross your t's and do as much due diligence as you can. I like to believe that most of us out there are pretty normal and good people, but you do have to be careful.

If it's an expensive watch that you can't afford to loose, I would only accept payment by wire, Western Union, or Moneygram. At the very least, talk to the buyer on the phone and get (and verify) his work contact information (email/phone).

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    If it's an expensive watch that you can't afford to loose, I would only accept payment by wire, Western Union, or Moneygram. At the very least, talk to the buyer on the phone and get (and verify) his work contact information (email/phone).
    Considering the values of some watches involved in deals around here, I would have to agree with the sentiment of this statement if it were of significant value, however that leaves the buyer pretty much twisting in the wind. If the watch is of significant value and you don't feel safe using Paypal, another option is an escrow sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Chudster View Post
    Considering the values of some watches involved in deals around here, I would have to agree with the sentiment of this statement if it were of significant value, however that leaves the buyer pretty much twisting in the wind. If the watch is of significant value and you don't feel safe using Paypal, another option is an escrow sale.
    I don't think an escrow site provides much additional protection for the seller, and doesn't prevent the buyer from substituting a watch with a fake, for example, and then trying to void the transaction. Payment by wire is a very common option on Timezone and The Rolex Forum for big ticket items.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

One layer of security is to insist on shipping only to a "paypal confirmed shipping address".

1. The buyer would need to have already done this in the paypal system. (where their shipping address matches their credit billing address)

2. When you are paid with a paypal payment, you will see the shipping address of the buyer has a CONFIRMED status hi-lighted in GREEN COLOR.

If that's not confirmed, I see it as a red flag. It's just a small layer of security but it's something.

More often than not, someone has an ebay account with some record. If the buyer has no watch forum references, I would suggest asking if they have an EBAY account. If so, you can verify it by communicating with them via the ebay system and you can see their ebay record.

Thread Information