Any high end quartz.......?

Thread: Any high end quartz.......?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any high end quartz.......?

Are there any high end quartz that some of you mechanical/auto guys might consider? Such as the Girard-Perregaux Laureto?
    cottontop

Re: Any high end quartz.......?

nice try
    Renee Descartes walks into a bar, the bartender says 'sir can I get you a Martini ?', Descartes says 'I don't think...' and he disappears

Cheers,
    Fidel
    (DWP #001/100)

Quote Originally Posted by workaholic_ro View Post
    nice try
    What is that supposed to mean? I am asking a serious question.
    cottontop

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Since you point out that you are asking a serious question, it is pretty obvious to you that I was joking. Sorry if this offended you. Sine ira et studio.
    Renee Descartes walks into a bar, the bartender says 'sir can I get you a Martini ?', Descartes says 'I don't think...' and he disappears

Cheers,
    Fidel
    (DWP #001/100)

Banned

I see that as a good question.
    Yes, I would not mind a high end quartz watch.
    What pi***s me off is the small difference between a mech and a quartz watch, if the rest of the watch is the same.

And in Vintage watches - I am on the hunt for an Omega Marine... from the early 1970ies.

Quote Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
    high end quartz
    That is an oxymoron.

Here is some valuable info you might be interested in.

Even if a steel part for an old watch is no longer available, a watch restorer could make one.

With the advances of semiconductor technology the production lines for the old parts are torn up and thrown away.. Even if you had the design information of those old ICs there are no production lines available to make them any more.. Of course it is theoretically possible to make them again, but the investment needed is many, many, many orders of magnitude more than you need to make a steel or brass part..

Electronics is throw away technology, even at the low temperatures of watch ICs the doping will wander with time.. At some point one of the transistors will stop working and... there you have it.. In 100 years our mechanical watches will all be still working or at least servicable.. Maybe you will replace the springs with newer steel, but they will work.. The quartz watches all be comfortably filling a waste heap somewhere.

author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by dalstott View Post
    That is an oxymoron.

Here is some valuable info you might be interested in.

Even if a steel part for an old watch is no longer available, a watch restorer could make one.

With the advances of semiconductor technology the production lines for the old parts are torn up and thrown away.. Even if you had the design information of those old ICs there are no production lines available to make them any more.. Of course it is theoretically possible to make them again, but the investment needed is many, many, many orders of magnitude more than you need to make a steel or brass part..

Electronics is throw away technology, even at the low temperatures of watch ICs the doping will wander with time.. At some point one of the transistors will stop working and... there you have it.. In 100 years our mechanical watches will all be still working or at least servicable.. Maybe you will replace the springs with newer steel, but they will work.. The quartz watches all be comfortably filling a waste heap somewhere.

author unknown

By "high end" I guess I mean expensive. I don't see it to be an oxymoron at all. When I saw the write up about the Girad-Perregaux Laureato Quartz for $11,000 in Watch International magazine, that appeared to be high end and expensive to me. That article is what raised the question. And, I don't suppose we will see any of those in any trash heaps in the distant future.
    cottontop

Banned

With "High End" I see a quality movement, dial, hands and case.
    Mechanical or Quartz.

A nice example is some of the ladies PP watches.
    Not worth the $ asked, IMO, but still a High End watch.
    And it will always possible to replace the whole movement, to a new quartz or even mechanical, in the distant future.

Res Ipsa Loquitur, a quartz watch is worth no more than the value of the metal in the case.

From Rolf Schnyder of Ulysse Nardin

"One interesting thing about watches is that in almost every culture they are perceived as a form of currency. If you brought your watch to a pawnshop in Asia, the first thing they would do is to check if it was mechanical. If it was quartz it was always rejected. That is because they understood that a mechanical watch can always be repaired. For this reason the mechanical watch has permanent value. No wonder quartz watches do not find their way into the big watch auction catalogs."

"Watchmaking is is the merger of science and art. With the advent of the quartz era man acheived the ultimate accuracy he sought but eliminated the need for human beings. Almost too late we discovered that the beauty of a mechanical watch had never been in the accuracy it represented. In each mechanical watch beats an engine crafted by human labor that was endowed and born through human abilities. It was this humanity that appealed to us because in each timepiece we saw a reflection of ourselves. Any watch is endowed with an innate poetry because of the human creativity it expresses."

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Although I'm not so interested in quartz watches (or arguing about their quality or value), I have to say I'm loving the Latin phrases, nice to see... Cottontop, not sure if you're aware, but there is a sub-forum literally dedicated to high end quartz watches. That seems like an appropriate place, no? Good luck in your search. That is if you're searching, I can't tell...

Ave atque vale,
    HBL
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information