WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Any JLC Reverso owners on these forums?

8K views 73 replies 44 participants last post by  shendizadeh 
#1 ·
I browsed the forums a bit, but for a brand and model that are so highly rated, it's seems rare to see posts about them...
Why are Reversos seemingly getting so little love?

#2 · (Edited)
Too dressy. That's what is stopping me from getting one as well - it won't get enough wrist time, given my lifestyle.

Also, - likely due to the same reason - the forum tends to favour divers and other sporty watches.

#5 · (Edited)
Too dressy. That's what is stopping me from getting one as well - it won't get enough wrist time, given my lifestyle.

Also, - likely due to the same reason - the forum tends to favour divers and other sporty watches.
Ironic, for what is essentially a sports watch...

#8 ·
As a keen sportsman (though not a polo player), and as a recent watch collector, I have to say the classic reverso is a bit of a grail watch for me, since it seems it can so easily be dressed up or dressed down.
I do not quite understand the trend for divers, aviation chronographs, driver's watches, etc, for people who don't practice any of the activities their timepieces were designed for.

#11 ·
The Reverso is very much a watch I admire, but never seem to buy. The dials are beautiful. On the wrist though, it just never seems to sit or feel right for me. I also prefer Reverso models with dates, but shudder at the thought of having a date on a manual winder.

#12 ·
There are definitely plenty of Reverso owners on WUS, they just aren't as common as say Submariner or Planet Ocean owners. The forums have something of a bias towards sports watches, probably partially because many members are quite young. JLC is also not sold just everywhere compared to Omega or Rolex which limits impulse buys. That said, there are still plenty of Reverso owners out there, it is hardly a rare watch on the forums.

#17 ·
Reactions: Kilovolt
#20 ·
Not sure, they're ok, kinda like 'em but stopped at 6 . . . .

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
The Reverso is a watch that a collector that appreciates heritage and design will wear.
I think they are a fantastic piece of Swiss timepiece history.

Forums are are riddled with Rolex and Omega wearers typically because the two of them sell 1.5 million pieces combined a year. They are like underwear. Everyone has one.

People tend to post for admiration. The Reverso won't get the "likes" a Speedy or Sub would thru basic forum population.

I consider mine one of my most important watches Grand Reverso

#25 ·
The Reverso is a watch that a collector that appreciates heritage and design will wear.
I think they are a fantastic piece of Swiss timepiece history.

Forums are are riddled with Rolex and Omega wearers typically because the two of them sell 1.5 million pieces combined a year. They are like underwear. Everyone has one.

People tend to post for admiration. The Reverso won't get the "likes" a Speedy or Sub would thru basic forum population.

I consider mine one of my most important watches Grand Reverso
Indeed, old chap. The filthy masses will never understand our appreciation of the finer things.

Attachments

#26 ·
I love mine:

Watch Analog watch Blue Watch accessory Cobalt blue

Green Wool Thread Woolen Knitting

#27 ·
I've got one. I want a diverse collection, and it was my first rectangular watch as well as my first moon phase. I like the retro look. As others have noted, however, I see it as a dress watch and as such it competes with my other "work" watches for wrist time.

Someday, if I ever get my post count high enough I'll put up some pictures.

#28 ·
ETA: First power reserve, not first moon phase (WTF, I can't edit my owns posts yet either?)

#31 ·
Drhr pwns the thread like a boss.

#35 · (Edited)
For such an unusual watch, I actually was surprised when I first came here that the Reverso was so popular, loved and talked about. I find them interesting but no more so than hundreds of other vintage styled watches. I enjoy looking at them but have never even thought about wanting to own one. I'd wear it about once a year if I had it so I might feel differently if I had a large expensive collection with room for seldom worn watches, but at this point they aren't for me. I'm just not convinced a casual strap makes them all that casual despite the "sporting" history.

Then again, I don't get the whole G-Shock thing either.

#39 ·
Totally understand this position. The "vintage" style you reference may be the first time I've ever heard this reference and it kind of makes sense.

As I am lucky enough to have too many watches my Reverso doesn't get a lot of wrist time. It was without question my first important watch. Hand wound GMT Moon Power Dual Time Date And 2 faces with quick pusher time changing. Elegant and well designed in a watch that is as your statement says "vintage". Possibly that's why I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.