Any reports on GM warranty repair experience?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rfortson
  • 1 Post By JDB123

Thread: Any reports on GM warranty repair experience?

Any reports on GM warranty repair experience?

Trying to make a choice between buying a new watch from a GM vs. an AD and wondering if the GM warranties are worth anything.

Thinking about Jomashop in particular, but curious about others too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Any reports on GM warranty repair experience?

Nobody's gotten repairs done by GM vendors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That will vary from dealer to dealer, stick with the best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've never used them and doubt I ever will. GM save money by cutting out things like a good service department. When I buy GM, I make sure I save enough to pay for a service myself if the need arises during the warranty period. So far, I've always come out ahead.

Too many stories about bad or botched GM service.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
    JDB123 likes this.

Very good comment on this from another thread. Guess I've got my answer - GM warranties are worthless...

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    These threads come up every few weeks or so. Sorry to hear about the OP experience.
    But, I'll restate, for any perspective shoppers out there, what Grey Market is and what to expect.

Cons:
    GM dealers are not authorized by manufacturer to sell the watch, hence they will not provide manufacturer warranty (with rare exceptions).
    GM warranty is usually useless - they are a retailer and may subcontract repairs to god knows who.
    GM dealers customer service and after-sales support will be lagging behind most ADs or other retailers - they are focused on cost minimization and not relationship building.

Pros:
    GM dealers (reputable ones) sell authentic watches at prices often well below those of AD
    They can offer these low prices by keeping their cost structure minimal - no B&M storefront, no frills, on-demand inventory (often selling watches from AD without having possession) and minimal service
    Acceptable return policy for unworn items that are defective

Every buyer needs to weight these - and decide for themselves if cost savings outweigh the lack of warranty and CS.

99% of the time, if a watch has a problem, it will be apparent immediately upon receipt. I can't stress this enough - with any watch purchased from GM, Amazon or even AD:
    - before wearing it, sizing it or removing stickers:
    - examine it thoroughly - check to make sure there are no defects (dings, scratches, bent hands, missing markers, bezel alignment, smudged text, bracelet tolerances, etc.). use a loupe if necessary
    - test all functions thoroughly - crown winding and screwing, lume brightness, hands alignment, power-reserve, watch accuracy, if complicated - test complications (moonphase, GMT, etc.), day and date switch-over - manually and automatically at midnight, chrono pushers and functionality, internal bezel, external bezel - smoothness and alignment, deployant clasp or buckle, etc.
    - do this immediately - don't wait a week or two before examining the watch. Many return policies are capped at 1 week\2 weeks\30 days. If you wait more than a day or two after receipt to examine the watch - you risk missing return period and having to deal w repairs.
    - if there is an issue - Return the watch for credit or replacement. Do not deal with repair service (as long as you meet sellers return limitations).
    - only if there are no issues, apparent defects, functionality problems of any kind - then and only then - remove the stickers, size bracelet, bend leather strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rfortson likes this.

Thread Information