Any Standards for Dive Extension on Watch Bracelets?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By iam7head

Thread: Any Standards for Dive Extension on Watch Bracelets?

Any Standards for Dive Extension on Watch Bracelets?

For a long time I've had a Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro GMT 600, a GMT dive watch, and I've often used the dive extension on the bracelet to make it a little looser on hot days -- it adds about 1/2 inch. Now I also have a 1983 Rolex Submariner, also of course a dive watch, but the dive extension on that bracelet adds about an inch to it.

Why are these so different? Dive extensions are there to make a dive watch big enough to fit over a wetsuit, and I was assuming wetsuits were pretty much the same. So how can one dive watch have a dive extension twice the length of another one? Have wetsuits grown sleeker since 1983, or are dive extensions pretty much random? And if they're random, what's the point?

Mike Taglieri

Re: Any Standards for Dive Extension on Watch Bracelets?

Dry suit vs wet suit.

Modern diver also wear the diving computer on wrist as main, some might rock the secondary/back up mechanical watch to the other wrist or wearing higher up on the forearm.

There's just no standard to it, this is why glidelock and Pelagos on the fly adjustment is so good.
    Bradjhomes and mleok like this.
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Milgauss GV 116400
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite/Sapphire Sandwich 3572.50
    Officine Panerai Luminor 1950 372P
    Officine Panerai Luminor Base 000M
    Officine Panerai Radiomir Blackseal 380P
    IWC Pilot's MK XVIII "Le Petit Prince" IW327004
    Seagull x WUS Moonphase #7
    Casio G-Shock "Mudman" G-9000
    Swatch Sistem51 "Hodinkee" Vintage 84

Everyone seems to vary slightly on their choice of extra length.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    For a long time I've had a Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro GMT 600, a GMT dive watch, and I've often used the dive extension on the bracelet to make it a little looser on hot days -- it adds about 1/2 inch. Now I also have a 1983 Rolex Submariner, also of course a dive watch, but the dive extension on that bracelet adds about an inch to it.

Why are these so different? Dive extensions are there to make a dive watch big enough to fit over a wetsuit, and I was assuming wetsuits were pretty much the same. So how can one dive watch have a dive extension twice the length of another one? Have wetsuits grown sleeker since 1983, or are dive extensions pretty much random? And if they're random, what's the point?
    Steel bracelets are not for diving, unless you can wear them over your skin, just like when not diving, so they are pure marketing.

But then, a wetsuit can be as thin as 1.5mm and as thick as 9mm, quite a difference.

Real dive extensions work on wet suits at the surface but not at depth, at which point they need adjustment. This is due to all the air being compressed in the wet suit.

I think some of the newer bracelets have minor adjustments which are more for differing wrist size due to weather conditions but not really for diving.
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Thread Information