Any symbolism involved in wearing a watch on the right hand? - Page 11
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Any symbolism involved in wearing a watch on the right hand?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Re: Any symbolism involved in wearing a watch on the right hand?

For Arabs, the use of the right hand for greeting has less to do with religion than with the fact that they use the left hand to wipe themselves after sitting on the toilet. To greet someone with the left hand is to symbolically give them s--t.

As for me: Despite being a rightie, I wear my watches on the right because it feels weird to wear anything on my left. Been like this since I played volleyball in high school and wore bracelets on my right hand. Which is one reason why I'll never likely buy a fitness tracker: A watch will always be on my right wrist, and there's no place for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby75 View Post
    In some cultures people tend to wear a watch or ring on the right hand/wrist. I have met a few Muslims who tend to do this especially in the Gulf as the right hand is used for greeting, eating etc you walk into a house with your right foot and leave with your left. I have noticed on quite a few Arab programmes people wear their watch on the right wrist.

That of course is not everyone far from it, I have also met folk who just wear it on the left for the same reason most of us do, the right hand is the dominant hand so wearing a watch on it would be more likely to get in the way or get damaged.

Thats the only symbolism I can think of, possibly a religious one. Other than that perhaps left handed?
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040-07A Silver Ice, FitBit Charge 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenmack View Post
    For Arabs, the use of the right hand for greeting has less to do with religion than with the fact that they use the left hand to wipe themselves after sitting on the toilet. To greet someone with the left hand is to symbolically give them s--t.
    I heard about that too. But as in many times in Islam, different scholars have different opinions.
    One is “It doesn’t matter”
    Right is preferd
    And even its not allowed to wear it on the left. (I don’t find the source anymore)
    As I mentioned in older posts. Sometimes you just are a couple of friends and suddenly wear it all right.

As a southpaw, I wear my watch on the right wrist. It feels weird to do it otherwise.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm lefthanded but generally wear the watch left. IMO it stems from tradition when watches needed to be winded, ever tried to wind a watch on your right arm? You've seen it like this as a kid so you just copy...
    Occasionally I do wear it right and there is nothing wrong with that, although I know people that have issues in reading the time "at a glance" when the watch is on their right arm, possibly something to do with peripheral vision? Any doctor in the room?

When I was sailing I wore the watch underarms left, that way I could read the time without changing my hand position when taking a starfix with a sextant. You hold a sextant in your left hand and do the adjustments with your right, your watch is then facing you and can be read instantly. I guess the same reasoning goes for drivers who wear their watch underarms.
    I stopped doing so when doing Starfixes were replaced by computer keyboard work as a main daily activity.

Dirk

A lot of people wear the watch on their weaker arm to keep it out of the way. The simplest answer is always the best one.
    Last edited by xgjvhj; June 28th, 2015 at 16:30.

Smile Re: Any symbolism involved in wearing a watch on the right hand?

A sign you were a member of The Van Buren Boys.

Bob

no but ive answered this question before...you can do whatever you want, but opposite of your favored hand works smoother for me with regards to "cleaning up" after "using" the rest room!! think about it, especially for those 15mm high watches!! yikes! :)

I'm right handed but have two metal plates in my left wrist, it hurts to wear a watch on that wrist so I wear it on my right.

Quote Originally Posted by mercera View Post
    I'm right handed but have two metal plates in my left wrist, it hurts to wear a watch on that wrist so I wear it on my right.
    I actually have a similar story why I wear my watch on my right. When I was a teenager and growing fast I wore my watch 24/7, never talking it off. Resulted in the spot where the ulna, radius and carpus meet flattening out. Switched over to my right arm and got used to it so never switched back

The crown is on the right for the simple reason that you can wind it with your right hand. While it is on your left arm.

Lefties might be excused.

Wearing the watch on the right is like using the fork in your right hand. Shows that nobody taught you how to do it correctly. Not that I care, each to his own!
    Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy watches.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information