Any thoughts about the M. Johansson brand and skeleton watches? And Skeleton watches in general...

Thread: Any thoughts about the M. Johansson brand and skeleton watches? And Skeleton watches in general...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any thoughts about the M. Johansson brand and skeleton watches? And Skeleton watches in general...

Hi all! Im new to this forum and the world of watches. I thought I'd give you a little background about myself that way maybe you can help me better. I am a current college student getting ready to enter the work force with a large accounting firm. I have an old Fossil watch but would like something a little more. For right now I am not looking for anything too pricy, but I would like a good quality watch. Right now my price range is around $200-250.

I really like the skeleton watches. I was looking at getting an Invicta Sea Ghost but lost the bid on eBay. I'm thinking this may have been a good thing, so I can now do more research on the subject. This is the one I almost bought.

Invicta Men's Specialty Sea Ghost Skeletonized Mechanical Polyurethane Strap Watch ShopNBC.com

To my main question.... Has anyone heard of the brand called M. Johansson? I found a few websites with their watches, and tried a search on the forum, but I cant find much. Here is the one I am currently looking at.

BLACK FULL SKELETON GERMANY M.JOHANSSON MENS MECHANICAL WATCH NLBB | eBay

Is this anything I should look further into, or is it just junk? Any suggestions for quality brands or models? Thanks everyone!

Re: Any thoughts about the M. Johansson brand and skeleton watches? And Skeleton watches in general.

it's a rebadged chinese watch that is suppose to cost $20. I think you'll find better options elsewhere.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

Re: Any thoughts about the M. Johansson brand and skeleton watches? And Skeleton watches in general.

Re. the second part of your question, I like the idea of a skeleton watch, but haven't really found one I've connected with yet. It makes sense to me in a way that see-through casebacks don't -- why put the see-through part on the back side, which you don't see when you're wearing the watch? A waste of eye candy in my mind... So a skeleton hangs it all out for you and everyone else to enjoy.

I hope to find one that I like some day; I think a general problem with them is that many/most don't have enough hand contrast, so they lose one of their primary functions -- the ability to quickly and easily tell time.

I'd like to see a modern industrial-look skeleton, rather than the ornate jobs. Maybe some day, someone will design a skeleton that sings to me. Anyway, I own a Chinese cheapie, an Orion, that's actually surprisingly accurate. But its case is ugly as sin and the visible guts aren't much prettier. Its fugliness is sort of endearing though...

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    Its fugliness is sort of endearing though...
    I like your outlook…

Both brands are garbage, especially Invicta. Be thankful you lost the auction.

Skeleton watches: no. Why do you want that garish thing on your wrist; both those watches look like you strapped a broken ipod to your arm. Do you want to look like all the other wannabees sporting cheap-looking bling?

If you have a small budget, seriously, look for a simple, quality watch that doesn't scream, "look at me," or doesn't make you look like a cast member of Jersey Shore. There's honor in neither.
    Last edited by Metals; November 25th, 2011 at 12:23.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

M. Johansson isn't German, just another mushroom brand. Johansson isn't even a german name, it is more a scandinavian name. For "Invicta" do a forum search and you will find tons of info.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Fellow member Aditya hand crafts skeletons of his design based on Molnija and now ETA movements, this is his No.1-03... and that is the style of skeleton I prefer.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 10080
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 19311
Size:  176.6 KB

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 11866
Size:  37.5 KB

Banned

Johansson is the most commonSwedish name. But this M. Johansson is an expert eating his breakfast rice with chopsticks!
    Somebody in China does not know his Geography, or is a newbie at Googling.

That Invicta isn't bad looking, but I don't think it is worth the money. I never found a skeleton style watch that I really liked, although I like the idea of them. I would recommend some forum searches and see what turns up-- there should be a few out there that appeal to you. I know I have seen a few nice ones in my browsings here at WUS (just not anything I wanted to own).

I don't own a skeleton watch, but have recently become interested in the thought of an Oris Artelier skeleton, but that's way outside your budget. Around here, skeleton watches are sort of a love them or hate them item, and they have both there fans and haters. However, a watch collection is a truly personal thing, so I wouldn't listen much to the naysayers if you really want a skel, and a skeleton watch is the type of stand out piece that makes this hobby interesting. There are people here that have wonderful collections, but keep buying the same diver style over and over again, but to each his own..

The thing with skeleton watches is that they aren't all created equal, and alot of the cheaper ones do look cheesy. I would use the Advanced Search function on the forum and do a title search for info on different brands, and Google Images for pics. You could check out Rotary watches, although they may be a little out of your price range as well. One the fashion end, Kenneth Cole makes a skeleton- a friend of mine at work has this. It seems like a nice watch and he loves it. It should fall into your price range.

In the end, there is room for all types of watches in your collection, from the conservative dress watch to the bit more outside the box stuff (:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information