Any thoughts on Alexander Shorokhoff vintage 5? AS vintage 5 vs Montblanc heritage chronometrie?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Any thoughts on Alexander Shorokhoff vintage 5? AS vintage 5 vs Montblanc heritage chronometrie?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any thoughts on Alexander Shorokhoff vintage 5? AS vintage 5 vs Montblanc heritage chronometrie?

I am looking at a everyday watch and I almost pulled the trigger on the Montblanc Heritage Chronometrie collection. Then I discovered an interesting model, the Shorokhoff vintage 5 manual wind. This model is on sale at a german grey market store for $880 usd. It has a lovely decorated manual wind movement. It is a bit thick for me at 40mm x 10.10mm. I have a 6.5'' wrist.  I am not familiar with this Shorokhoff brand and it seems like a minority brand here (compared to montblanc). I like the look of the movement and the general look of this watch, but I think the big "60" on the dial get some hate in the other reviews from here.
    Name:  shorokhoff front.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  41.9 KBName:  shorokhoff back.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  219.8 KBName:  shorokhoff 2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  110.4 KB
    The montlanc blue dial version is priced at $1700 from jomashop, with size 40mm x 7.65mm. And the silver dial/gold hands version is priced at $1300 from watchmaxx (grey market), with size 38mm x 7.65mm. The montblanc heritage chronometire becomes my final list after asking suggestions from my previous posts here (my criterions inside):
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/unde...d-4698211.html
    and here
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/deci...c-4701429.html

Name:  montblancblue.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  38.6 KBName:  montblanc blue 2.png
Views: 118
Size:  253.4 KBName:  montblanc blue 3.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  46.5 KBName:  mb1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  111.1 KB

I am struggling in deciding between these three models. The montblancs might fit better for my small wrist cause they are thin, but the Shorokhoff have funky looking dial and nice looking movement. Any suggestions? Or maybe I should get both the silver dial/gold hand Montblanc and the Shorokhoff vintage 5 at the same time?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Any thoughts on Alexander Shorokhoff vintage 5? AS vintage 5 vs Montblanc heritage chronometrie?

Info on Shorokhoff is to be found at

+WUS Homepage
    +German Watches Forum
    +Baselworld 2018
    yuhengdu and MisterV like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Re: Any thoughts on Alexander Shorokhoff vintage 5? AS vintage 5 vs Montblanc heritage chronometrie?

My personal opinion, I'd go with the AS over the MB. It's more original/interesting, costs less, and AS is a reputable watchmaker.
    But it is a bit wild in styling, so you have to enjoy that. And, it might be costly to service that movement.

To me, the MB is styled like lots of other mid-century watches. The movement looks like an ETA 2892 but "25 jewels" matches a 2824, but if a 2824 it's very thin at 7.65mm. Is it an in-house (Minerva) movement of some kind? I only ask because unless the finish is really above and beyond, that price is a lot to ask for a watch with a run of the mill ETA movement.

Long winded way of saying, I'd go with the AS based on price and originality.
    yuhengdu and John Price like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It has a 2416 Poljot movement. The Montblanc is more watch for the money and its better looking IMO. I would want to know more about what AS does to the movement but the MB is a safer bet.
    yuhengdu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The watch knob View Post
    My personal opinion, I'd go with the AS over the MB. It's more original/interesting, costs less, and AS is a reputable watchmaker.
    But it is a bit wild in styling, so you have to enjoy that. And, it might be costly to service that movement.

To me, the MB is styled like lots of other mid-century watches. The movement looks like an ETA 2892 but "25 jewels" matches a 2824, but if a 2824 it's very thin at 7.65mm. Is it an in-house (Minerva) movement of some kind? I only ask because unless the finish is really above and beyond, that price is a lot to ask for a watch with a run of the mill ETA movement.

Long winded way of saying, I'd go with the AS based on price and originality.
    I believe the Montblanc movement is based on ETA2892-2A, not related to Minerva movement models. The finishing of the movement is quite mediocre compared to Shorokhoff IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivarama View Post
    It has a 2416 Poljot movement. The Montblanc is more watch for the money and its better looking IMO. I would want to know more about what AS does to the movement but the MB is a safer bet.
    Thanks for the info! How is the Poljot 2416 movement ? maybe compared to the ETA 2406 hand wound or the ETA 2892? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by yuhengdu View Post
    I believe the Montblanc movement is based on ETA2892-2A, not related to Minerva movement models. The finishing of the movement is quite mediocre compared to Shorokhoff IMO.
    Yes, that MB has a Sellita copy of an ETA 2892. The Minerva models are $20k+...and all huge.

Based on technical specs the ETA 2892 is a nicer and more modern movement than the Poljot. If AS spends time refining thing functional finish of the movement then there could be reason to pick the AS over the Montblanc. On the other hand, if AS just works on making the decoration of the movement look pretty then I think you will have better reliability with the Montblanc.
    yuhengdu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivarama View Post
    Yes, that MB has a Sellita copy of an ETA 2892. The Minerva models are $20k+...and all huge.

Based on technical specs the ETA 2892 is a nicer and more modern movement than the Poljot. If AS spends time refining thing functional finish of the movement then there could be reason to pick the AS over the Montblanc. On the other hand, if AS just works on making the decoration of the movement look pretty then I think you will have better reliability with the Montblanc.
    I just found out that the version I got of the Shorokhoff uses a Lanco 2461 manual movement from swiss. They said they completely overhauled the movement and then decorated it. Is this movement any good compared to ETA's movements (2892, 2406)? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Info on Shorokhoff is to be found at

+WUS Homepage
    +German Watches Forum
    +Baselworld 2018
    I find them, hm, somewhat polarising, yet in some cases curiously attractive. Like I have a soft spot for the unusual, and they kinda work...

I wonder if there's anywhere you can look at those in real life?

...Wow I guess I had missed their distributors page. So they are getting sold. For some reason I thought it was a three-person mom-and-pop shop somewhere in the depths of the Allgäu. Guess I'd better plan a trip somewhere to see them.
    yuhengdu likes this.
    "My complication had a little complication." (c)

What are the real life situations, where 7.65 mm thickness makes any difference compared to 10.1 mm? I would think you'd have to try it on, to make conclusion whether it's thick - and I'm quite sure it's just fine for the size of the watch, and for your wrist.

I've always found these thickness requirements puzzling, to say the least.
    yuhengdu and ffritz like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information