Any tips on lugs? As they relate to watch dimensions and good, comfortable fit.

Thread: Any tips on lugs? As they relate to watch dimensions and good, comfortable fit.

Any tips on lugs? As they relate to watch dimensions and good, comfortable fit.

I'm trying hone in on any general knowledge do's/don'ts for 7"-ish flat wrist.

The Xetum ad above me. That watch has no lugs.

I'm not sure when to look for long lugs, curvy lugs, short lugs, etc. relative to watch profile (height/thick and diameter)? e.g. typical diver vs aviator vs dress watch.

How about distance between lugs on the same side and total lug distance (opposite sides)?

Any guidelines or is all individual basis?

Thanks!

JB

Re: Any tips on lugs? As they relate to watch dimensions and good, comfortable fit.

Great question -- lugs are extremely important when gauging watch size vs. wrist size wearability. I have about a 7.25" wrist and I definitely lean towards short lugs, but not "no lugs" as is the case with the Xetum above. In person that watch must look odd and not lie comfortably on wrist.

Short lugs will make a larger case watch wearable for someone with smaller wrists. For example, if the case is 43mm accross, and the lug to lug is 50mm - that will be gigantic and the end of the lugs (that attach to strap) will extend over the arch of the wrist, which makes it too large and uncomfortable, and totally unacceptable in my opinion, although you see a lot of others doing it here in their pics - and they look ridiculous.

But if you have a 43mm case watch and 45mm lugs, the watch is perfectly suitible for a smaller wrist - or any wrist. This is true with the popular Seiko Monsters *(although I dont the precise measurements) - they have a small "footprint" for such a massive watch which makes them much more wearable.

Also I think that long lugs, meaning that extend off the case are not asthetically please and change the design of the watch case, although if this is the case then that is what the designer was going for. They are also less comfy if they extend past the edge of the curvature of the wrist because the strap doesnt lie right.

Lastly and most importantly is that the lug holes are drill close to the case to avoid the dreaded "gap" between watch strap and watch case. This is commonly a problem for us watch freaks who buy a watch with a bracelet and then immediately remove it and put it on leather and find that the lug holes are drilled at the very tip of the lug, thus causing a gap - even with a thick strap. This "gap" is totally unacceptable imho, and almost everyone agrees. It has caused me to sell many watch that I like.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes." Wilde

Re: Any tips on lugs? As they relate to watch dimensions and good, comfortable fit.

I don't have a large wrist but this 45mm Aviator is quite comfortable to wear because the strap is integrated into the lugs - which are curved to fit my wrist nicely

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rezoguitar View Post
    I'm trying hone in on any general knowledge do's/don'ts for 7"-ish flat wrist.

The Xetum ad above me. That watch has no lugs.

I'm not sure when to look for long lugs, curvy lugs, short lugs, etc. relative to watch profile (height/thick and diameter)? e.g. typical diver vs aviator vs dress watch.

How about distance between lugs on the same side and total lug distance (opposite sides)?

Any guidelines or is all individual basis?

Thanks!

JB
    My wrist circumference is rather small only 16.5 cm (6 1/2") although I am 180 cm tall and have a 42" chest. Anyway 38 to 40 mm is my watch size. However, the lug to lug distance is ideally 46mm for me and as much important. My left hand side wrist is 56mm wide and I have read that there should be 5mm on each side from the lugs outwards to the edge of the wrist (the lugs must never stick out beyond the wrist). This makes sense to me and looks the best.

My next watch will be (maybe, probably, possible who knows) a Tutima FX UTC. The watch is labelled as having 38.5mm diameter but the lug to lug distance is 46mm and should be perfect for me (my benchmark is my Maurice Lacroix diver with a size of 40mm and a lug to lug of 46mm).
    Last edited by Uhrentraeger; February 19th, 2013 at 22:07.

Thanks you zek.....,

I'm printing this off & saving it for reference!

Thread Information